BB: Regionals (Midwest) Oshkosh '08, '09, Whitewater '10, '11

Started by Ralph Turner, May 11, 2008, 11:49:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ShineTime

Congrats to Whitewater on a great season and making the world series.  It's too bad we didn't see their best ball this weekend but at least the WIAC got a W.  Looks like Marietta is going to take it.
GOTTA LOVE ACT 10

cubs

Quote from: BoBo on May 28, 2011, 07:19:18 PM
Quote from: cubs on May 28, 2011, 10:13:24 AM
Quote from: BoBo on May 28, 2011, 12:44:30 AM
Quote from: cubs on May 27, 2011, 11:38:47 PM

Quote from: ShineTime on May 25, 2011, 10:50:08 PM
1.  Koback gets drafted but decides to finish his career at UWSP and gets 1rst team all america.
No chance he comes back after being drafted as a junior.  This is the year he actually has some leverage when it comes to his contract and signing bonus.  If he comes back, that leverage is gone.
After thinking about this a little more, there may be a better chance of Koback coming back next year than I thought.  Why you may ask?  I completely forgot that he received a medical hardship waiver last season, so he is actually only going to be a Junior eligibility wise next season, and not a senior like I originally thought.  He will have quite a bit of leverage in this years draft, so if he doesn't get the money he is looking for, he can return and try to improve his draft stock next season.  (I still feel he has played his last game in a Pointer uniform, but it wouldn't be the first time I was wrong. ;D)
A high schooler with a full scholarship in his pocket would have some leverage. Not so sure about a college junior to be who is paying his tuition. Unless of course he was a VERY high draft selection.
What do you consider "VERY high?"  I've heard that he is being told he may go anywhere from the 5th-10th Round, which if true is very good signing bonus money. 

2010 Rd 1-10 Signing Bonus

IMO, top 6 would be high...Rd 6-10, the signing money varies considerably for whatever reason. Can be very good; can be quite low. Very few Wisconsin products are drafted in the top ten rounds...it does happen, but not real common. My main point, however, was your use of the word "leverage" - I don't believe he has enough to use in a negotiating position.
All he needs however is one team out of 30 to want him enough that they dont want to risk him going back into the draft next season and losing out on him.  The point I was trying to make is that he will have some levarage this season as compared to being a senior and not having any other options but to sign.
2008-09 and 2012-13 WIAC Fantasy League Champion

2008-09 WIAC Pick'Em Tri-Champion

cubs

IMO, top 6 would be high...Rd 6-10, the signing money varies considerably for whatever reason. Can be very good; can be quite low. Very few Wisconsin products are drafted in the top ten rounds...it does happen, but not real common. My main point, however, was your use of the word "leverage" - I don't believe he has enough to use in a negotiating position.
All he needs however is one team out of 30 to want him enough that they dont want to risk him going back into the draft next season and losing out on him.  The point I was trying to make is that he will have some levarage this season as compared to being a senior and not having any other options but to sign.
Guess that shows just how talented Koback was to go in the Top 10 Rounds.....  I'm going to say there is little chance of seeing him in a Pointer uniform next season.

Dagger

Quote from: Just Bill on May 26, 2011, 09:31:57 AM
Quote from: cubs on May 25, 2011, 11:23:36 PM
6.  Coach Bloom doesn't get hired as AD and returns for at least 1 more season.
Coach Bloom will be back as the Head Coach regardless of whether or not he gets the AD position...

I'm skeptical here. I don't think UWSP considers it possible to be the athletic director while coaching a sport. I think if he gets the AD job he'll have to surrender the coaching position. In a relatable, although not identical situation some years ago, UWSP asked their women's golf coach to surrender his coaching position as a condition of becoming a professor.

Bloom has been a professor for several years since becoming the head baseball coach so I'm not sure your example is all that valid...

BoBo

Quote from: cubs on June 07, 2011, 05:00:50 PM

Guess that shows just how talented Koback was to go in the Top 10 Rounds.....  I'm going to say there is little chance of seeing him in a Pointer uniform next season.

We'll see how badly he wants to join the Red Sox organization, or how badly they want him by the signing bonus offered/excepted. Could be as low as (approx) $25,000 or as high as $150,000 - give or take a few grand. Looking at last years signing bonus, it looks like the Red Sox were very generous compared to other clubs.
I'VE REACHED THAT AGE
WHERE MY BRAIN GOES
FROM "YOU PROBABLY
SHOULDN'T SAY THAT," TO
"WHAT THE HELL, LET'S SEE
WHAT HAPPENS."

Just Bill

Quote from: Dagger on June 07, 2011, 05:17:10 PM
Quote from: Just Bill on May 26, 2011, 09:31:57 AM
Quote from: cubs on May 25, 2011, 11:23:36 PM
6.  Coach Bloom doesn't get hired as AD and returns for at least 1 more season.
Coach Bloom will be back as the Head Coach regardless of whether or not he gets the AD position...

I'm skeptical here. I don't think UWSP considers it possible to be the athletic director while coaching a sport. I think if he gets the AD job he'll have to surrender the coaching position. In a relatable, although not identical situation some years ago, UWSP asked their women's golf coach to surrender his coaching position as a condition of becoming a professor.

Bloom has been a professor for several years since becoming the head baseball coach so I'm not sure your example is all that valid...

He's not a tenure-track Professor. He's an Instructor. Huge difference. Professors and Administrators generally can't coach at UWSP. They could make an exception, I'm sure, but I'll still be very surprised if Bloom gets to keep coaching if he gets the AD job.
"That seems silly and pointless..." - Hoops Fan

The first and still most accurate description of the D3 Championship BeltTM thread.

Dagger

You obviously have more of a clue than I do on the matter so I will respectfully bow out of this one...I still get the feeling that he's going to get the AD job and keep coaching though  :)

Just Bill

Quote from: Dagger on June 08, 2011, 10:05:42 AM
You obviously have more of a clue than I do on the matter so I will respectfully bow out of this one...I still get the feeling that he's going to get the AD job and keep coaching though  :)

He very well may. I'm not trying to say it's impossible. I'm just saying if that happens, it means UWSP will be making a change in the way they've done things in the past.

The first and still most accurate description of the D3 Championship BeltTM thread.

cubs

I have a funny suspicion all of this talk regarding the AD position will be for naught..... 

badgerwarhawk

Quote from: cubs on June 08, 2011, 10:16:35 AM
I have a funny suspicion all of this talk regarding the AD position will be for naught..... 

I tend to agree because  I don't think he's going to be their choice. 
"Just think twice is my only advice."

BoBo

You'll know for sure Thursday at 2PM...that's when Stevens Point has a press conference scheduled to make their announcement.
I'VE REACHED THAT AGE
WHERE MY BRAIN GOES
FROM "YOU PROBABLY
SHOULDN'T SAY THAT," TO
"WHAT THE HELL, LET'S SEE
WHAT HAPPENS."

Just Bill

Daron Montgomery from Detroit Mercy is the choice for UWSP AD:

uwspathletics Former @DetroitTitans senior associate AD Daron Montgomery introduced as the new UWSP AD. #ncaa #d3 http://yfrog.com/h36ohsij
Thu, Jun 09 14:16:54 from TweetDeck