WBB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by wheatonc, March 03, 2005, 06:18:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RogK

Elmhurst (1-1) sped out to a 31-9 1st Q margin and won 85-52 at MSOE. Five Bluejays scored in double figures, topped by Mikaela Eppard who had 18. Lisa Logan led with 8 rebs and 2 steals.
Carroll got thumped twice, 93-57 by Loras, 85-54 by Simpson. The Pioneers committed a total of 52 turnovers in these games. A positive note is that Katie Rossetti nabbed a total of 12 rebs and 7 steals, to go along with making 10/17 FG att.
North Park improved to 2-0 via a 63-59 final over Bluffton, which had upended Ohio Northern the night before. NP prevailed thanks in part to 14 steals, including 4 by Zakiya Newsome and 3 each by Lauryn Alba Garner and Shaylee Sloan (who also had 10 pts, 10 reb). Newsome scored 11 and Sinead Molloy scored 10. It was a good energetic effort by the whole team.

Gregory Sager

That was a solid win by NPU last night over a Bluffton squad that is coming off of two consecutive 20-win seasons and which had beaten Ohio Northern (which ran the table in the OAC last year en route to a 30-1 Elite Eight season) on Friday in the NPU Tipoff Tourney's opening round. I'm still not getting my expectations high for this season, but it's obvious that the Vikings are a better team than I thought they'd be in the wake of losing Liz Rehberger and Amani Davis. It's not just because of the newcomers, either; if the first two contests are any indication, Shaylee Sloan has really stepped up her game and threatens to be the major force inside she's always had the potential to become. If nothing else, NPU's speed and energy will make the Vikings fun to watch, no matter what happens.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

lmitzel

Quote from: RogK on November 19, 2017, 06:56:24 PM
A few comments on the first game Friday at Wheaton : I thought North Central players often looked uncertain about what to do in their loss to Louisiana College. Louisiana also had an overall skill advantage. NC has veered away from the System; I was (almost) alarmed when they declined to shoot some open 3s early in some possessions, although they did end up with 33 3FG att. They were generally patient on offense, but must be learning numerous new halfcourt plays. Defensively, they occasionally pressed, but were a little stand-offish doing it.
NC is clearly trying something new, while retaining aspects of what they've done in recent years. This transition probably requires several/many games before showing impressive results. I'm disappointed that the CCIW no longer has a System team; their games always brought out the best athleticism of both teams, sometimes very fun and entertaining, although sometimes sloppy. I'll have to again rely on NAIA Olivet Nazarene for a "System fix" and will do so Tuesday at Roosevelt Univ.
It was very good to see NC's Mayson Whipple return to action, following her major leg injury of a year ago. It may take a few more games, but hopefully she'll regain her status as one of the league's most energetic talented players.

Friday was the second time I'd seen Mayson in full game action since her knee injury, plus part of their charity exhibition a couple weeks ago and a little bit in practice, and given the circumstances she's looked pretty good.

It is a little weird not seeing NCC go full System like they've done; I've been a fan since we started it, though I also understood its weaknesses and limitations. One thing that changing the style up has done is allowed for your best players to play more minutes. The past five years, I think the top players have gotten between 16 and 19 minutes a game. Now the best players are playing mid-20s through two games, and the rotations have gotten a tad shorter. I think they still want the tempo pushed a little bit, but it's taking some getting used to.

Also, if they can play a full 40 minute game and not have a lapse in a quarter (2nd against Louisiana on Friday, 3rd against Lake Forest on Saturday which I didn't get to see), that would be great. They're still the type of team that they can shoot their way out of a deficit, but through two games it's been too little, too late.
Official D-III Championship BeltTM Cartographer
2022 CCIW Football Pick 'Em Co-Champion
#THREEEEEEEEE

RogK

Congrats to Molly McGraw, first CCIW Player of the Week of this season!

badgerwarhawk

"Just think twice is my only advice."

lmitzel

NCC drops it's third straight, 60-56 to Colorado College. I don't remember the final total for sure, but I think the Cardinals went 6-18 from the free throw line. Enough said.
#THREEEEEEEEE

GoPerry

Wheaton 78
Loras 52

It was a fairly balanced attack by the Thunder women tonight although they were led by their 2 post players in Hannah Frazier ( 18 pts, 4 rebs, 3 assts) and Devin Kyler( 11 pts, 7 rebs, 8 assts, 4 blks, 3 stls).  Maggie Dansdill also chipped in 12 pts, 4 rebs.

The DuHawks were led by Hannah Stokes ( 11 pts, 4 rebs, 3 asst) and Cyerra Hutchins ( 7 pts, 8 rebs).

Solid team win. 

Mr. Ypsi

#25 IWU lost for the first time, 60-62 AT #20 UWW.  Previous game was a demolition AT #22 Chicago, by 21.  It won't get any easier: Saturday they are AT #10 WashU.  Did the Titans forget to schedule any home games? :o

lmitzel

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on November 21, 2017, 10:38:59 PM
#25 IWU lost for the first time, 60-62 AT #20 UWW.  Previous game was a demolition AT #22 Chicago, by 21.  It won't get any easier: Saturday they are AT #10 WashU.  Did the Titans forget to schedule any home games? :o

Well, NCC only had one non-conference home game last year, so I know that feel.
#THREEEEEEEEE

badgerwarhawk

Titans: 60
WARHAWKS: 62

With the exception of a tie the  WARHAWKS led by no more that two possessions for all but eight seconds of the first quarter before Maddie Merritt's layup gave the Titans a 13-12 lead.   The two teams exchanged the lead four times in the first six minutes of the second quarter.  At that point a pair of free throws by Kelsey Walsburg gave the Titan's the lead 21-20 which they held, building to a high of five, before the half ended 31-27.  Merritt's 9 points led the Titans and Kendall Sosa added 6.  The WARHAWKS were led by Camri Conley's 10 points with Brooke Trewyn and Becky Diechl each had 6.  The lead once again changed hands multiple times in the first three minutes before the WARHAWKS broke a 36-36 tie with a 15-6 run over the quarter's final seven minutes and led 51-42 when it ended.  The lead reached eleven on two occasions but the Titans rallied over the last four and half minutes of the game whittling it down to 60-58 with less than a minute.  A WARHAWKS turnover and an offensive rebound gave the Titans two three point attempts but both were long and final attempt was corralled by WARHAWKS who made a pair of free throws to put the game out of reach.  Raven Hughes layup with one second remaining created the final score.

IWU:
Ehresman: 14 points, 7 rebounds, 3 assists, 2 steals
Kendall: 12 points
Merritt: 11 points, 6 rebounds

WARHAWKS
Conley: 15 points, 5 rebounds
Deichel: 11 points, 6 rebounds
"Just think twice is my only advice."

RogK

catching up on the other Tuesday results :
Aurora vs Elmhurst postponed.
NAIA Silver Lake College topped Carroll, 61-55. Carroll's 1st half was good (28-20) but the 2nd half went 41-27 for Silver Lake. Mallory Olsazak's 18 pts led Carroll.
The Pioneers got 30 pts from 40 2FG att, 15 pts from 16 3FG att and made 10 FTs.
Augustana won every quarter in their 75-54 victory over Benedictine. Meghan Stovall had 14 pts, 11 rebs and 3 steals; Clare Kramer (does she know Bob Sacamano?) and Victoria Allen scored 13 each, while Izzy Anderson finished with 16.
Millikin had no trouble with MacMurray, winning 91-51, including a 29-6 1st Q. Devin Curry scored 19 in 17:00 and Cassie Somers tallied 14 in 18:00 on just 9 FG att. Jordan Hildebrand had 7 rebs in 14:00.
In that North Central game, Diamond Calicott grabbed 15 rebounds in 26:00.
Carthage was victorious 67-49 at Coe. Morgan Harris had 10 rebs, 7 assists and 3 steals; Rachel Szydlowski and Madie Kaelber scored 16 apiece.

RogK

Augustana 70, Webster 64 -- Augie committed 27 TOs but won the rebounding 49-30; Clare Kramer made 8/10 2FGs and her FT for 17 pts, while Izzy Anderson had 11 pts, 11 rebs and only 1 TO.
Washington U 89, IWU 81 -- Rebekah Ehresman did very well, with 17 pts, 7 reb, 8 assists and 6 steals.
North Park 66, Illinois 52 (the College) -- NP got helpful contributions from many players.
Wartburg 67, Elmhurst 59 -- Wartburg restricted Mikaela Eppard to 10 FG att (6/10) and one FT att; this was accomplished by a lot of double-teaming, or even three defenders in the vicinity. Hannah Henderson had a good all-around game including 4 steals and 8 assists.

Mr. Ypsi

IWU just edges Rose-Hulman (in Greencastle), 60-59.  The Titans did not shoot well at all, from the field or from the line.  They opened up a 10 point lead in the second quarter, but once RHIT caught up, if either team ever led by more than two I missed it.

Gregory Sager

North Park fell short against preseason 8th-ranked Wartburg, 63-57, in the concluding game of the NPU Thanksgiving Invitational, despite holding the lead for almost twice as long as Wartburg had it. NPU was up by five at the end of the third quarter, but the bigger Knights clogged the lane down the stretch against the quicker Vikings and took away dribble penetration, forcing NPU to take outside shots that just wouldn't fall for the Vikings -- aside from a couple of treys from Alicia Arnold that gave NPU the lead back temporarily with 2:47 to go and then cut the Wartburg lead to one with 1:40 left. NPU still trailed by only a point with less than a minute to go, but the Vikings ended up fouling the Knights' star PG Katie Sommer with only five seconds left on the shot clock. She drained both FTs, and the Vikings couldn't get another point and lost what would've been a sensational upset.

Lauryn Alba Garner, who made the All-Tourney team, led the way with 15 points. Her fellow freshman guard Sinead Molloy had 11 points and four steals. The Vikings got clobbered on the boards to the tune of 49-33, but almost made up for it by inducing 16 Wartburg turnovers, 11 of them steals. Once the young guards get a little smarter about not fouling with the clock winding down (a recurring pattern today) and the Vikes in general get a little more choosy in their shot selection, they've got a chance to do much better in this league than everyone (including myself) thought that they would. I continue to be very impressed by the crop of newbies that Amanda Crockett has brought in this season.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

titanalum94

Long time listener, first time caller.

IWU is going to need a lot better play out of McGraw this year if they want to make a serious run in her/Ehresman's last seasons. They need to work on getting more shots for other players on that roster when McGraw isn't feeling it. McGraw shooting 13-of-55 over their last four contests. Very good player when she's feeling it though and obviously her athleticism is invaluable. Ehresman has really been putting the team on her back it seems leading the team in assists, rebounds, and steals. A very underrated player outside of the CCIW.