Liberty League

Started by Saint of Old, August 12, 2014, 12:14:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kick-grass

Clarkson will have a new head coach this Fall. Great way to start some talk about the Liberty League 2018 season. What are some predictions and insights on the teams this Fall?

Saint of Old

I will have my predictions in a week or two when it is clear who exactly will be showing up on campus.

In the meantime, here is the schedule for the Scarlet and Brown in 2018

https://saintsathletics.com/schedule.aspx?path=msoc

Mr.Right

Quote from: Saint of Old on May 23, 2018, 02:23:49 PM
I will have my predictions in a week or two when it is clear who exactly will be showing up on campus.

Saint,

No offense but for a program like SLU that was unafraid to play anyone anywhere that schedule is weak sauce. Where did Plattsburgh St go? Ok they are in the Oneonta tournament but not playing Oneonta. SUNY Canton, Alfred, Heidelberg and most likely two very average teams in the Oneonta tournament. I only see Cortland as a good non-conference game on that schedule.

Saint of Old

Quote from: Mr.Right on May 24, 2018, 12:57:23 PM
Quote from: Saint of Old on May 23, 2018, 02:23:49 PM

Saint,

No offense but for a program like SLU that was unafraid to play anyone anywhere that schedule is weak sauce. Where did Plattsburgh St go? Ok they are in the Oneonta tournament but not playing Oneonta. SUNY Canton, Alfred, Heidelberg and most likely two very average teams in the Oneonta tournament. I only see Cortland as a good non-conference game on that schedule.
No offense taken.
Infact I pretty much side with your assessment. I do believe we are playing Oneonta though.
I would have liked to see a bit more competitive schedule and one or two more non-conference games as well.
This will be a big year for the boys.
We have an all time Saint in his senior year and a pretty deep  senior class, after last season though, I don't want to get my hopes up too much.

stlawus

I think SLU would have schedule a few more non-conference games but the current financial situation for the university is, let's say, less than ideal.

deutschfan

Starting the 2018 season talk early.  Good.  This is a league that needs a revival after attaining one quality non-conference win last season for the entire league, Hobart's first round NCAA victory.  Of course that needs to be balanced with their loss to E-8 doormat Utica.  Perhaps you all can provide some insight on recruiting.  Ithaca and Vassar have posted their classes on their soccer twitter threads.  Ithaca is bringing in 15!!!!!  I am not familiar with any of the players coming into Ithaca or Vassar but perhaps some of you do as well as how some of the other teams are doing recruiting wise.  I wonder how many Clarkson recruits followed Coach Taylor to his alma mater. 

Saint of Old

Interesting point about Coach Taylor's recruits. I wonder as well.

I know that SLU plans on bringing a few more than normal.
I think part of this is being weary of injuries that has affected the team in big ways recently.

The team will sink or swim on seniors as I have said before, but I would say this will likely be Coach Tosh's best recruiting class (on paper) since he has been at the helm.

deutschfan

Saint:  At least on paper SLU has the most quality in its returning players with the two teams ahead of them, Hobart and Vassar, having lost some impact seniors.  Do you have a link to, or names of, the SLU recruits.  The Ithaca players have some USSDA experience while it looks like the Vassar players have none.  Not to be an USSDA snob but I think it is one important gauge of the strength of a recruit. 

OldNed

Quote from: deutschfan on May 29, 2018, 02:36:57 PM
Starting the 2018 season talk early.  Good.  This is a league that needs a revival after attaining one quality non-conference win last season for the entire league, Hobart's first round NCAA victory.  Of course that needs to be balanced with their loss to E-8 doormat Utica.  Perhaps you all can provide some insight on recruiting.  Ithaca and Vassar have posted their classes on their soccer twitter threads.  Ithaca is bringing in 15!!!!!  I am not familiar with any of the players coming into Ithaca or Vassar but perhaps some of you do as well as how some of the other teams are doing recruiting wise.  I wonder how many Clarkson recruits followed Coach Taylor to his alma mater.

Your post made me curious about Ithaca as one of my son's old teammates plays there, and I took a look at their twitter feed a bit.  Apparently Ithaca tied both D1 transitioning to D3 Hartwick and D1 Cornell 1-1 in spring games this year - great results for them, even if they were spring games.

Saint of Old

I am not sure SLU has posted names in the last few seasons.
I think this might be the preference of our new head coach. Not sure I disagree with the approach.
Should be a diverse and international group of kids from what I am hearing.
Saints have always been an international team so its good to get there again.

CU_GKnight

I would not be surprised if Clarkson lost a few recruits, but I would be surprised if many followed Coach Taylor.  I know the recruiting class that Coach Taylor assembled was his most geographically diverse with a couple players from the west coast.  I think it would be more likely that they would find another school closer to home than jump to Plattsburgh.  Clarkson is a very good school academically and is in the top tier for National Universities while Plattsburgh is in the bottom half for Regional Universities.  I just don't see a lot of players (unless they are solely focused on soccer) jumping from a highly rated private university to a lower tier state university, especially if you have to pay out of state tuition.  Also, the primary majors at each school don't align very well so I am not sure how easy it would be maintain the same major if they already had decided on one.  I have not met the new coach yet, but will see if I can get an idea of what has changed with regard to the incoming class if I do get the chance.  Also, a lot of these recruits would have likely been identified as juniors, when the new coach was an assistant to Coach Taylor, so they may already have some familiarity with him.

deutschfan

All good takes.  Coach Taylor has such an infectious personality so I was curious.  There are certainly significant differences between the schools.  I spent a little more time looking at Ithaca's class.  Two transfers in addition to the 15 recruits, a Division 1 redshirt from Binghamton who has some USSDA experience, and Manhattanville's second leading scorer last year as a freshman.  Don't know how you integrate 17 new players.   

deutschfan

Clarkson's recruits are identified in their twitter feed.  No one familiar to me. 

deutschfan

Fortunately I have no problem talking to myself.  Thanks to Coach Clinton and RPI for scheduling the best opening day match in the LL, an away night game against Rochester.  After not making the playoffs last year the Engineers will have a chip on their shoulders.  Hobart's pre-season Portugese friendlies do not bode well for the rest of the league.

Saint of Old

I'll be your Huckleberry.

I  agree RPI did have a mysteriously off year, but I expect them to get in this year.
I also agree that Hobart might be a bit too hot still for the rest of the league, we shall see.
SLU is coming into the season after a down year, but might have the best senior class in the last few years as well.

Is it pre-season yet?