NCAA proposal to allow a non-binding Division III 'signing day'

Started by Ron Boerger, November 12, 2014, 10:53:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bishopleftiesdad

Even though it is non binding, I would never suggest a student/Athlete sign one of these during the early signing period. The early Signing Period, is much too early, IMO, in the recruiting timeline for most D3 athletes to make this decision. I think it would be best reserved for the regular signing period.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

They can sign it whenever they want. I don't believe there is any "timing" associated with the letter... just the fact they can "sign" something and maybe have the media make a big deal about.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

SpartanMom_2016

Quote from: timtlu on November 16, 2014, 01:47:01 PM
Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on November 16, 2014, 11:38:08 AM
Several thoughts... I first talked about this on my trip to Indy and those at the office were very enthusiastic about this. They see it as a chance for Division III to get some headlines. Instead of the D1 and DIIs getting all of the attention when a student-athlete chooses where they are going to college. This can also be a cool story for small, local entities. All of the sudden one of the town's favorite players has a story about them going to a college with pictures and everything. Also, the press will get information about Division III at the event and thus the ideals of Division III can be spread out a bit more to people who may not be as familiar as the rest of us.

Secondly, the non-binding part is great. Sure, it doesn't mean they have to go to the school, but when those signing at the DIs and DIIs of the world they are actually signing important legal documents. It takes on a whole different meaning. Now, to the point that they can still go somewhere else, sure... but I don't think student-athletes are going to "sign a paper" unless they have actually made their decision on a school. Otherwise, it doesn't make sense to them either.

And then this: why not celebrate our student-athletes in more ways. Some of these individuals are incredible students, people, and athletes. They don't get the attention they deserve. This can be a way, even on a small media level, that allows them to be celebrated while also celebrating the division. I love this idea and hope it only helps raise more awareness for Division III and the student-athletes that make it great.

I agree 100% on all these points.  I still have a hard time reconciling the difference between these points and the quotes in the story though.  The athletes all alluded to how egocentrically "unspecial" they were. When everyone is special, it becomes that noone is special.

Only around 5-10% of high school athletes play in college.  Even if you give all the college bound student athletes the chance to feel special you are still only recognizing the small number who are good enough to play in college.

Bishopleftiesdad

My son is a senior in College. I have talked to him about this and he says he does not care. He is not sure looking back that he would have wanted to. But the option is there for those who do.

SpartanMom_2016

Quote from: Bishopleftiesdad on February 09, 2015, 03:06:48 PM
My son is a senior in College. I have talked to him about this and he says he does not care. He is not sure looking back that he would have wanted to. But the option is there for those who do.

My son said the same thing.

HSCTiger fan

My son's high school has a "signing day" no matter what college an athlete is attending.  Why does there need to be a "day" assigned by the NCAA?  Most D3 kids cannot commit anywhere until A. They are accepted and B. Their parents see their financial aid package. The FA package in many cases is not back in a timely manner. When my son "signed" to go to HSC his high school coach had a copy of the HSC honor code for him. It was, of course unofficial, but his friends and family were there as was the local paper. It was done sometime in late April of his senior year. High school coaches should step up.
Hampden Sydney College
ODAC Champions 77, 82, 83, 87, 07, 09, 11, 13, 14
NCAA Playoffs - 77, 07, 09, 10, 11, 13, 14
The "Game" 60 wins and counting...
11/18/2018 Wally referred to me as Chief and admitted "I don't know about that!"

Just Bill

D-III will not have a signing day or period.

The NCAA actually doesn't assign a signing day. They have a period of time in which an NLI can be signed. It's the high schools and the media who turned the first day of the signing period into the "Signing Day" monster it is now.
"That seems silly and pointless..." - Hoops Fan

The first and still most accurate description of the D3 Championship BeltTM thread.