D3 player selected in MLS Superdraft

Started by yurmama69, January 15, 2016, 09:32:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

yurmama69

2nd Round - 21st pick - Columbus Crew -- Marshall Hollingsworth - Forward - Wheaton

http://athletics.wheaton.edu/news/2016/1/14/MSOC_0114160948.aspx

Ryan Harmanis

As a Columbus native, interesting pick from the Crew.  Watched Hollingsworth play a handful of times, and he's very, very good, but D3 competition is obviously night and day from the MLS.  Columbus does seem a good fit in that they're all about open, attacking play, and he's a quick and technical attacking player that will get a chance (if he sees the field) to do some things with the ball.  Should be one to follow though.

jknezek

With the USL affiliates I expect MLS teams will be more willing to take on development players. They don't eat up roster slots, get paid peanuts, and are under contract if they pan out. It'll be nice to see how much this helps MLS. Not every draft pick needs to be immediate impact or cut, so technical, instead of pure athlete, should become more attractive in the lower draft rounds.

Mr.Right

I must say the 3 best D3 players to be drafted and play and be successful in MLS has to be 2 Williams grads and a SLU grad.

1. Khari Stephenson '04 and Dan Calichman '90----Williams

2. Greg Sutton '99----- SLU

If I am forgetting any other SUCCESSFUL players please remind me.

Flying Weasel

I think the other player worthy to mention is Trinity (Tx.) grad (and current Trinity women's coach) Lance Key.  As a defender, he started 34 games in two seasons with the Colorado Rapids in 2000 and 2001 (reference) after being the 43rd overall pick in the 2000 MLS SuperDraft.

And we should keep an eye on 2014 Redlands' grad, defender Richie Marquez who started 20 games for the Philadelphia Union in 2015 and I believe finished the season considered the best CB in the squad.

Here's a list of D-III players drafted by MLS teams.  If I am missing anyone, please let me know.  We should make a separate list of players who actually signed contracts and played games.  Some on this list did, some didn't.  But there are a few others who played in the MLS without having been drafted.

DIVISION III PLAYERS DRAFTED BY MLS CLUBS

1998 MLS Supplemental Draft
11th Pick - Colorado Rapids: M - Julio Cengarle (Montclair State) [drafted several years after completing college career]

1999 MLS Supplemental Draft
31st Pick - MetroStars: F - Nansha Kalonji (Ramapo) [drafted one year after completing college career]

1999 MLS College Draft
23rd Pick - Chicago Fire: GK - Greg Sutton (St. Lawrence)
29th Pick - MetroStars: M - Jim Manganello (Wheaton-MA)

2000 MLS SuperDraft
43rd Pick - Colorado Rapids: D - Lance Key (Trinity-TX)

2002 MLS SuperDraft
66th Pick - MetroStars: M - Jeff Moore (Richard Stockton)

2003 MLS SuperDraft
28th Pick - Colorado Rapids: F - Alex Blake (Williams)
31st Pick - DC United: M - Hayden Woodworth (Messiah)

2004 MLS SuperDraft
28th Pick - Chicago Fire: M/F - Khari Stephenson (Williams)

2008 MLS Supplemental Draft
12th Pick - Chicago Fire: M - Kai Kasiguran (Messiah)
27th Pick - New England Revolution: M - Kyle Altman (Trinity-TX)

2009 MLS SuperDraft
47th Pick - Colorado Rapids: F - Ross Schunk (Redlands)

2014 MLS SuperDraft
44th Pick - Philadelphia Union: D - Richie Marquez (Redlands)

2015 MLS SuperDraft
50th Pick - Toronto FC: F - Mike Ramos (Whitworth)

2016 MLS SuperDraft
41st Pick - Columbus Crew: M - Marshall Hollingsworth (Wheaton-IL)

Ryan Harmanis

Ryan Nelson kind of counts.  He played two years at Greensboro, leading them to a Final Four where they lost to OWU in the 1998 final.  Ended up transferring to Stanford, then was drafted 4th overall to DC United.  Eventually made his way to the Premier League for Blackburn.  He's not a D-III grad, so doesn't fall into the category of these other guys, but I've been told by a number of alums that he was just in a different class when he played for Greensboro.

lastguyoffthebench

Any d3 players at the combine or draft potential for the MLS?

NEsoccerfan

Quote from: lastguyoffthebench on January 19, 2018, 10:12:51 AM

Any d3 players at the combine or draft potential for the MLS?

I was told that Shae Bottom played for DC United's U-23s and trained with the actual MLS team last summer and that they wanted him back. Only time will tell in these last few rounds of the draft.

Flying Weasel

Any word on where Shae Bottum landed?  He wasn't selected in the draft and it doesn't look like any MLS team signed him.  Maybe somewhere in the USL?