WBB: Coast-To-Coast Athletic Conference

Started by Clint Often, February 16, 2005, 03:20:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swish3

Nice win for the Lady Captains last night...Sam Porter was out, once again...honestly not sure if she'll return this season.  It was 53-13 at the half, which was similar to the halftime score two years ago, which was 42-8...unlike then, CNU was able to maintain the lead and win handily last night.  Dare I say that the Eagles are a bit intimidated when playing at CNU?  The thought crossed my mind after two lopsided halves and hearing that the coaches do not like one another...just throwing it out there.  Anyone heard from bbald eagle?

GO LADY CAPS!

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

It is already the midway point of January. In a month's time, we will be looking at conference tournaments and discussing who has a chance to make the NCAA tournaments. However, there is still a lot of basketball to be played and many teams are starting to take the turn into the second half of conference play.

On Thursday's edition of Hoopsville, Dave will chat with a number of guests to get a landscape of where things are in Division III. The conversation will include checking in at the NCAA Convention where legislation will be voted on by DIII members and conferences on whether to start the season a week earlier.

Dave then talks to some of the hotter teams in the country. Two women's programs (ranked and unranked) who are leading their respective conferences and looking to build on recent success. Also two men's programs one of which is not in the spotlight as much as they traditionally are along with a program we haven't talked to in a number of years.

This week's WBCA Center Court will feature a women's coach who is doing what she can to spread the word about women's basketball including giving more of her time to make sure her colleagues are taken care of and heard.

Hoopsville is presented by D3hoops.com and airs from the WBCA/NABC Studio. You can watch the show LIVE starting at 7:00 p.m. ET here: http://bit.ly/2DmSR9D

You can also send your questions to the show and have them featured on the Hoopsville Mailbag segment. Email them to hoopsville@d3hoops.com.

Guests include (in order of appearance):
- James Wagner, CSAC Assistant Commissioner
- Bobby Hurley, Stevens men's coach
- Kris Huffman, No. 9 DePauw women's coach
- Polly Thomason, Texas-Dallas women's coach (WBCA Center Court)
- Matt Logie, No. 7 Whitworth men's coach
- Ashlee Rogers, Marymount women's coach

You can also tune into the podcast(s) after the show has aired:
SoundCloud: www.soundcloud.com/hoopsville
iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/hoopsville/id1059517087

Don't forget you can always interact with us:
Twitter: @d3hoopsville or #Hoopsville
Facebook: www.facebook.com/Hoopsville
Email: hoopsville@d3hoops.com
YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/d3hoopsville

Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Swish3

Another 50 point win for the Lady Captains, albeit against a weak FSU team...could they be turning the corner and playing w/a little more desire and passion?  We'll find out when Marymount comes to Newport News....

bbald eagle

Quote from: Swish3 on January 18, 2018, 12:04:22 PMAnyone heard from bbald eagle?

GO LADY CAPS!

Not much to say when you're beaten by more points than you scored. Ouch.

Swish3

BIG game against Marymount tomorrow at the Free...it's a must win situation for a shot at the #1 seed...they could really use Sam Porter!

GO LADY CAPS!

Swish3

Nice win for CNU on Saturday...Porter didn't start, but played 19 minutes and gave her team a lift...great to see her back!

GO LADY CAPS!

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Swish3

It sounds like CNU was fortunate to win at PS Harrisburg, which would have been a HUGE loss...when the home team shoots better than 50% from the field, it can happen...still have a couple of tough ones at Mary Washington and at home against York to end the regular season.

GO LADY CAPS!

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Swish3

Ugh, that was a tough loss for the Lady Captains Saturday night...they'll likely see York again Thursday night, and I'd be willing to bet the Spartans will not hit 14 three pointers again...I anticipate a much better defensive effort from CNU.

GO LADY CAPS!

Swish3

Payback's comin' tomorrow night!

GO LADY CAPS!

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

The NCAA released the third set of women's basketball regional rankings with few changes from last week's version. This is the final set that we'll see before the Tournament bracket is released on Monday. Full list here: http://d3hoops.com/notables/2018/02/women-regional-rankings-third

Swish3

After looking at the data sheet, w/Gettysburg having the slightest advantage in overall record and wins versus RRO, how are they ahead of CNU w/a putrid SOS of .499?  CNU's is significantly better at .541, which more than makes up for the other comparisons in my mind....

Tonight's game against York isn't a forgone conclusion by any stretch, but I'm confident the girls will come out ready and take it to the Spartans!

GO LADY CAPS!   

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: Swish3 on February 22, 2018, 08:44:28 AM
After looking at the data sheet, w/Gettysburg having the slightest advantage in overall record and wins versus RRO, how are they ahead of CNU w/a putrid SOS of .499?  CNU's is significantly better at .541, which more than makes up for the other comparisons in my mind....

Tonight's game against York isn't a forgone conclusion by any stretch, but I'm confident the girls will come out ready and take it to the Spartans!

GO LADY CAPS!

Well... that's not how it works. They don't look at one and say it trumps three others because it's number is bigger. They look at all the data and compare it all to come out with one or the other. You already stated that there are two advantages for Gettysburg and just one for CNU in three of the five or six criteria they are looking at. That is advantage G'burg.

That all said, it is really close... we can look at the comparison (BTW your numbers are a bit off):

Gettysburg:   21-1 (.913)   2-0 vRRO   .496 SOS
CNU:   21-1 (.913)   2-2 vRRO   .534 SOS

From that, I would actually give that to CNU... IF the women's committee is using the .030 difference in SOS equals two-games (i.e. add two losses and remove two wins from G'burg indicating what they would have done against a CNU schedule; or flip it for CNU) - I believe they are, but need to confirm ... again ... this year.

There is head-to-head criteria... but we know that didn't happen this year.

Move to comparable teams:
McDaniel:   CNU defeated by 10; G'burg defeated by 13 and 19
VWU: CNU defeated by 35; G'burg defeated by 3

Believe it or not, that is all I have for comparables between these two.

I probably would have edged CNU, but there are a few other things in play here... they may be rewarding G'burg for not losing to a regionally ranked opponents, but I do know CNU would not be punished for playing more of those.

If they went to secondary criteria, I am not sure how each non-conference SOS shapes up (a number we can't seem to find or do our own math). Maybe G'burg has an advantage there and the committee didn't feel the primary criteria created a definite answer.

The other possibility is other schools in the conversation (it never seems to be only a two-team comparison; other teams are always in the conversation at the same time) and when it started to come down to splitting hairs, that's the order they went in.

CNU85

If I was MW I would be a little ticked at d3hoops.com right now. In the women's tournament tracker, they already have Marymount hosting on Saturday.