WBB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by wheatonc, March 03, 2005, 06:18:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RogK

I happened to encounter iwu70 this morning and asked him to tell me what day it is.
He said, "march first."
So I marched around for a couple of minutes, but he still wouldn't tell me.

Gregory Sager

On opening night of the tourney the two road teams, Illinois Wesleyan and Millikin, advance (over Concordia-Moorhead and Willamette, respectively), while the home team, Carroll, drops out with a nine-point loss to Puget Sound.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

GoPerry

Pretty nice night for Knudsen . . 36 pts on 14/23 shooting . . . Up next is host UW Whitewater

Titans with a nice win without much from Huber who was in foul trouble most of the game.  Now face the host Wartburg.

Unfortunate first round loss for the Pios.  I'm sure they were hoping for much, much more

RogK

In that Millikin win, Bailey Coffman and an opposing player collided, resulting in Coffman leaving the game with what seemed (I was watching the webcast) a knee injury. She did return to action later. Here's hoping she's at least close to 100% healthy for tonight's game.
Millikin was ("were", for any readers in the UK) up 22 pts at the half, but was outscored by 8 in the 3rd Q and by 6 in the 4th.
Illinois Wesleyan did not finish particularly well in their game either, being outscored 19-10 in the 4th Q.
But, hanging on to win counts as much as a 31 point trouncing.
Congrats to Carroll for a very good season, despite the disappointing Friday result. One factor in the loss is that they seemed a step behind Puget Sound going for loose balls / rebounds, especially in the 1st half.
The Pios should be very strong next season, plus they'll have the added motivation to get deeper into the D3 tourney next March.

Gregory Sager

Illinois Wesleyan mounted a spirited late comeback, but fell at Wartburg to the host Knights, 62-59.

And Millikin was never really in it up north of the Cheddar Curtain, as UW-Whitewater dominated its home floor en route to an 89-65 win over the Big Blue. And thus ends the career of the greatest player in CCIW women's basketball history, as Elyce Knudsen went down fighting, scoring 30 in the losing cause. Unless she comes back as an MU grad student, she ends her career with 2,280 points -- which is crazy when you consider that her freshman season was the truncated COVID year of 2020-21 in which she only got to play 13 games.

And so the CCIW, although enjoying a breakthrough year in which the league got more that two teams into the D3 tourney for the first time in 28 years, once again sees its season end in the first weekend of the tourney as per usual.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

RogK

Following the CCIW's admittedly disappointing 2-win 3-loss weekend, I'll go out on a limb (of a bur oak) and forecast an undefeated record for the remaining segment of the tournament.

RogK

Green Beer

Went to Waverley to watch the IWU games. Gotta say, Wartburg's facilities are jaw-dropping.

RogK

Congrats to all those honored for All-Region 8 by d3hoops, which include CCIW stars :
Region 8 Player of the Year Elyce Knudsen
1st team : Elyce Knudsen, Lauren Huber, Olivia Rangel
2nd team : Sophie Darden, Natalie Gricius
3rd team : Victoria Perry, Mallory Powers, Elle Sutter, Annie Tate
- -

RogK

Knudsen, Rangel and Huber are further honored for their outstanding work in the '23-'24 season :
https://wbca.org/about/press-releases/wbca-announces-ncaa-division-iii-honorees-2023-24-season
Well done!

RogK

Congrats to Elyce Knudsen, 1st team D3 nationally!
Also congrats to Olivia Rangel making 5th team (rating her in the 21-25 best nationally).
https://www.d3hoops.com/awards/all-americans/women/2024
- -

RogK

The D3Hoops final rankings feature three CCIW teams in the top 23 :
17 Illinois Wesleyan
20 Millikin
23 Carroll