WBB: Michigan Intercollegiate Athletics Association

Started by MJA, February 24, 2005, 06:38:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

northb

Quote from: andersdy on March 20, 2006, 10:19:20 AM

So next year do we have to point out that Hope is equal opportunity and rebut the "where's your banner?" chant with "title nine, title nine" cheers?

I don't get the meaning of this one.  Please explain
DIII 2021 Basketball National Tournament Pick-em Co-Champ

I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened.

--Mark Twain

Morehouse

I'm asking that no more posts be made in regards to the DePauw game and the fans.  I sent the following letter to President Bottoms and Coach Huffman and Roz Fornari.  I mean ever word in it and don't feel they should be receiving the emails.  Let's show the class Hope fans should have and move on. 

President Bottoms, Coach Huffman, and Roz Fornari:
It has come to my attention that DePauw University, President Bottoms, Coach Kris Huffman, and Roz Fornari (NCAA site administrator) have come under great scrutiny for the Hope vs DePauw game. I would like to address this from my viewpoint. I have great respect for DePauw University. Kris Huffman is one of the finest people I have had the pleasure to meet in my 10 years as head basketball coach. She exemplifies EVERYTHING that is right about Division 3 athletics. She is a great role model and great ambassador of the game. She is an amazing coach who turns out great teams every year. Kris Huffman is also flat out classy in victory or defeat. I'd love for my daughters who are 4 and 6 to play for a person like Kris Huffman.
Roz Fornari was the NCAA rep and site administrator for the game in Greencastle. I am fortunate to serve on a national committee for the NCAA with her. I have the highest respect for her as a person, coach, and leader. Roz was also our site administrator at Capital University for the first two rounds and our liason at the Final Four. She did a fantastic job at all sites. We were treated with great respect and everything was well organized. She went above and beyond the call in her organization and representation of the NCAA.
The language used by the students was unfortunate, but not a reflection on Kris Huffman or Roz Fornari. They both did their jobs and did them very well.
Sometimes when students get in a group it empowers them. They do things they normally wouldn't do. Using the "F" word is an unfortunate thing that a number of students chose to do. I don't feel it should reflect negatively on Coach Huffman or Roz Fornari. I wish fans understood that college athletics needs MORE people like Kris Huffman and Roz Fornari. They are two of the very best.

Sincerely,

Brian Morehouse
Hope College Women's Basketball Coach

AndersDY

Quote from: northb on March 21, 2006, 08:10:37 AM
I don't get the meaning of this one.  Please explain

Just referring to the Title Nine Era which intends to put women's sports on equal footing with men. As in we have banners, they just happen to be from the ladies. I was just kidding since the cheers are only directed at the men's team anyway, but perhaps the Hope fans need to start that cheer at Hope-Calvin women's games now.
"You can say 'no,' and I can say 'yes,' and my word has THREE letters."

northb

Quote from: Morehouse on March 21, 2006, 09:41:03 AM
I'm asking that no more posts be made in regards to the DePauw game and the fans.  I sent the following letter to President Bottoms and Coach Huffman and Roz Fornari.  I mean ever word in it and don't feel they should be receiving the emails.  Let's show the class Hope fans should have and move on. 

President Bottoms, Coach Huffman, and Roz Fornari:
It has come to my attention that DePauw University, President Bottoms, Coach Kris Huffman, and Roz Fornari (NCAA site administrator) have come under great scrutiny for the Hope vs DePauw game. I would like to address this from my viewpoint. I have great respect for DePauw University. Kris Huffman is one of the finest people I have had the pleasure to meet in my 10 years as head basketball coach. She exemplifies EVERYTHING that is right about Division 3 athletics. She is a great role model and great ambassador of the game. She is an amazing coach who turns out great teams every year. Kris Huffman is also flat out classy in victory or defeat. I'd love for my daughters who are 4 and 6 to play for a person like Kris Huffman.
Roz Fornari was the NCAA rep and site administrator for the game in Greencastle. I am fortunate to serve on a national committee for the NCAA with her. I have the highest respect for her as a person, coach, and leader. Roz was also our site administrator at Capital University for the first two rounds and our liason at the Final Four. She did a fantastic job at all sites. We were treated with great respect and everything was well organized. She went above and beyond the call in her organization and representation of the NCAA.
The language used by the students was unfortunate, but not a reflection on Kris Huffman or Roz Fornari. They both did their jobs and did them very well.
Sometimes when students get in a group it empowers them. They do things they normally wouldn't do. Using the "F" word is an unfortunate thing that a number of students chose to do. I don't feel it should reflect negatively on Coach Huffman or Roz Fornari. I wish fans understood that college athletics needs MORE people like Kris Huffman and Roz Fornari. They are two of the very best.

Sincerely,

Brian Morehouse
Hope College Women's Basketball Coach

Agreed.

Nice letter.
DIII 2021 Basketball National Tournament Pick-em Co-Champ

I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened.

--Mark Twain

sac

Quote from: sGo Hope on March 20, 2006, 07:59:54 PM
WTG dutch.  Congrats on a great season!

Also to Monsoon and SAC for winning the pick'em

Final Women's Leaders
1   monsoon   142 * champ via tiebreaker
1   Sac   142

Wish I could say it was my expert ability to analyze women's basketball.........but I was a homer. ;D

But I did have Southern Maine in the final and I think I had Scranton too.  Can't recall. 8)

I was also a homer on the men's side, but managed to get 2 of the final four correct (Amherst, Virginia Wesleyan).  That UW-dujour philosophy didn't quite workout this year.

........and you guys thought only us fans read this stuff.

Nice letter coach and thank you for representing Hope so well.

hope1

thank you coach on a great seasson this year keep it going  coach
i love hope  sports all of them are really great to watch

gohope

GOOSEBUMPS! 

That's what I got when I was finally able to read the front page stories and the recent posts on this site regarding the win by the Hope College Women's Basketball team!!!   :D  I think I'm still on cloud 9 from being in Springfield for the weekend.  The ladies played really well and represented the college really well too!  I may have a few less shuckels in my pocket but I wouldn't have traded that experience for anything else!  It's something that I won't forget.

As Sac has mentioned time and time again, DEFENSE wins games.  And the Hope College Ladies Basketball TEAM won two very competetive games by playing tough DEFENSE.  Both Scranton and Southern Maine were very good teams and the Dutch stayed with their game plan and came out victorious!!!

I am VERY proud of the ladies, both on and off the court, as they played their hearts out and had fun too!

And the Hope contingency that followed the ladies out East, just spectacular!!!  They estimated that over 500 fans were there for Hope.  Ladies - it was truly our honor to cheer you on!!!

Yep, still have 'em - GOOSEBUMPS!!!   :D

GO HOPE!

Pat Coleman

Cool. :)

Hey, a reminder that Coach Morehouse is on Hoopsville as we speak.
http://www.d3hoops.com/hoopsville/tunein.htm
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

mark_reichert

Quote from: gordonmann on March 19, 2006, 02:48:59 PM
Mark:

But I don't think you can undersell how good this Hope team was.

One last question, how did this utterly superior Hope team only beat the vastly inferior Wash U team by 3 points?  One would think Hope should have won by at least 15 points, perhaps all the way up to 46.

Personally, I think you are courting bad karma by continuing to claim them to be the best team ever, which given the fate of the 2002, 2003, 2004, and 2005 champions doesn't seem advisable.

tniem

Quote from: mark_reichert on March 22, 2006, 08:42:57 PM
Mark:

One last question, how did this utterly superior Hope team only beat the vastly inferior Wash U team by 3 points?  One would think Hope should have won by at least 15 points, perhaps all the way up to 46.

Personally, I think you are courting bad karma by continuing to claim them to be the best team ever, which given the fate of the 2002, 2003, 2004, and 2005 champions doesn't seem advisable.

Except he is saying it on the MIAA Board where it is mainly Hope fans right now.  Who is going to give him bad karma?  ;)

I am not sure I see what the issue is.  As far as I can tell, Hope fans have not said that this team is the best ever, they have just speculated that the team had one of the hardest runs possible.  It is mere speculation.  There is no way to ever know. 

Same with you continuing to say that there were better teams out there in the past then this one.  That is probably true.  But it is impossible to know.  It is simply speculation to put teams from different years against each other.  It can be fun for fans but in the end it means very little and shouldn't change someone's karma. 

And just so you know, I would have loved to see the Flying Dutch in 2002 and 2003 play WashU or this versions Hope team.  IIRC Keerkstra was never at full strength in 2003 after she had hurt her knee.  Plus, according to Becky Sutton (new last name) the 2002 was incredibly nervous in the tourneys, while this tem was much more loose.  Had Morehouse had that experience and helped to loosn up those Dutch teams of old, who knows what they could have done?  They were not as deep as this team but they had some great players at the skill positions with Bria and Linda Ebels coming off the bench.  Again it is pure speculation.  Doesn't mean much and WashU would have been favored but it would have been fun...

Flying Dutch Fan

Quote from: mark_reichert on March 22, 2006, 08:42:57 PM
Mark:

Those claims have been made entirely by non Hope fans, including several 500 win coaches.
2016, 2020, 2022 MIAA Pick 'Em Champion

"Sports are kind of like passion and that's temporary in many cases, but academics - that's like true love and that's enduring." 
John Wooden

"Blame FDF.  That's the default.  Always blame FDF."
goodknight

Hoper Upper

First, congrats to the team and the coach for a fantastic year.

Washington U. was, IMHO, the best team that the Dutch played.  Kelly Manning was the best offensive player in DIII.  The only way the Dutch won was that they played their best game of the year.  If they hadn't, they would have lost. 

The Dutch had the unique ability of playing their best when the game was on the line.  Over and over again, they were able to ratchet themselves up to win games--e.g., the Albion away game, the Alma home game, the "flu tourney in Orlando", Washington U, and then Scranton Pa.

There were lots of reasons why they should have lost games--(the Orlando tourney being a prime example--3 or 4 kids throwing up during the game)  But, they didn't.  They always were able to find a way to win.

What truly separates the 2005-06 Flying Dutch from the other teams was their ability for players not only to elevate their game but also to adapt their game so that the team would win.   Bria was the star of a lot of the games, but there were a bunch of kids who came up big over and over again during the year.   

Any team built around one player could never beat the 2005-06 Dutch.

realist

HU:  Very fine post.  Each time I saw Calvin play the Hope ladies this year it was obvious they were a superior team.  As some have mentioned no super star, but an excellent team effort from top to bottom.  Some teams just develop a chemistry or work ethic or whatever you want to call it.  They just weren't going to let up, or disapoint their teammates.  The Hope ladies this year reminded me alot of the Calvin 00 men's team.  Every player had a role to fill, and they performed when called upon to do so.  Very unselfish play, and they were focused on a goal.  Other teams just couldn't get the Hope ladies to crack, and instead wound up cracking themselves.
I think I understand where Coach Morehouse is coming from.  I don't doubt the quality of the De Pauw coach or the NCAA rep.  My only question remains why have a sportmanship article in the NCAA if you don't intend to follow or enforce it?  Failing to speakout only insures more teams in the future will be subjected to similar or worse treatment. 
"If you are catching flack it means you are over the target".  Brietbart.

Flying Dutch Fan

I completely agree about the dominance of the Dutch.  How often do you find a national championship team that only has 2 players who average double figures in scoring, and no one who finished in the top 10 in scoring or rebounding in the conference.  I think this team was the best example of team I have ever witnessed.
2016, 2020, 2022 MIAA Pick 'Em Champion

"Sports are kind of like passion and that's temporary in many cases, but academics - that's like true love and that's enduring." 
John Wooden

"Blame FDF.  That's the default.  Always blame FDF."
goodknight

realist

FDF:  You are correct.  In watching/listening to the tournament games you could tell the other teams/coaches were having a hard time handling Hope.  Normally when the bench players come in the pressure is a notch less, but Woods et al. almost seemed to turn up the intensity a notch or two.  Yes, it is fun to watch a TEAM play as opposed to 5 people in the same uniform running around.  It is interesting to contrast the Hope women's and mens programs this year.  The men very talented, but just never seemd to get a clear reading what their roles were.  It seemed on several ocassions the men kept waitng for someone to step up, but it didn't happen.  The women on the other hand everyone played 100% when they got their chance.  It also seemed they all had a green light to shoot.
"If you are catching flack it means you are over the target".  Brietbart.