WBB: Michigan Intercollegiate Athletics Association

Started by MJA, February 24, 2005, 06:38:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KnightSlappy

Quote from: Pat Coleman on February 01, 2007, 04:04:23 AM
Quote from: KnightSlappy on January 31, 2007, 02:35:28 PM
I do believe that Lisa Winkle passed the 1,500 point career mark on saturday.  No listing on the D3hoops milestone page though...

E-mail is more effective than a sniping post on a board I might not read for days, Slappy.

I was actually hoping for confirmation from someone on this page before I emailed it, Pat.

Dark Knight

Calvin is playing St. Mary's today, and I'll be curious to see how the game goes, since in their prior meeting down in Indiana, Calvin escaped with a one-point victory, 53-52. SMC didn't ever have the lead after the first minute of the game, and they were down 13 early in the second half. They were down 7 with 3 minutes to go. With 3 seconds to go they were down two and had a pair of free throws. Make, miss. Sounds like a valiant comeback attempt that fell just short.

Calvin didn't shoot as well as usual in that game, at .375 (.214 of three-pointers), but SMC was worse at .278. It sounds as though it was a defensive battle.

The stat that jumps out at you is rebounding, though. SMC had 45 rebounds to Calvin's 31. SMC had 14 offensive boards on 39 missed shots to Calvin's 3 offensive boards on 30 missed shots. Overcoming that kind of a rebounding deficit takes some doing!

Massey says it'll be Calvin 77-56, but I'd guess it'll be closer than that.

knightrider

The Calvin St Mary's game has been cancelled do to the snow, just for everyones information.

Oval

MIAA scores
Saturday Feb 2

Olivet 69, Adrian 62
Alma 56, Kalamazoo 47
Albion 83, Tri-State 53
Saint Mary's at Calvin, ppd (makeup Monday, 6 p.m.)

Oval

MIAA scores
Monday Feb 5

Calvin 75, Saint Mary's 44

Dark Knight

Calvin 75 St. Mary's 44. This game was all Calvin with all 14 players getting time and no one playing more than 20 minutes. Calvin shot .429 to SMC's .219. SMC wasn't able to handle Calvin's defensive pressure, and Calvin looked poised and confident and made some nice plays.  17 points for Harris in 18 minutes, and 13 rebounds for Winkle.

Calvin did much better on the boards this game, but SMC still outrebounded the Knights 46-42, and picked up 24 offensive boards on their 50 missed shots, to Calvin's 13 offensive boards on their 32 missed shots. I saw SMC players get into position to rebound offensively and even box out offensively when a teammate took a shot, and I didn't see as much of that from Calvin.

ziggy

First set of regional rankings:
Great Lakes
1 Calvin 12-0 18-1
2 DePauw 12-2 19-2
3 Denison 17-2 19-3
4 Wilmington 16-3 18-3
5 Hope 13-2 18-2
6 Baldwin-Wallace 16-4 17-4

Oval

MIAA scores
Wednesday Feb 7

Calvin 58, Tri-State 44
Hope 78, Olivet 70
Alma 69, Adrian 65
Albion 83, Kalamazoo 37

Preto

Quote from: ziggy on February 07, 2007, 11:20:41 PM
Great Lakes
1 Calvin 12-0 18-1
5 Hope 13-2 18-2

Homecoming or not, I think Calvin is ready to fall.  Hope's second loss was a carryover from the Calvin loss in DeVos.  The Dutch will come out and overwhelm the Knights in the first 10 minutes.  The question will be if Calvin can recover.

oldknight

Quote from: Preto on February 08, 2007, 12:30:35 PM
Quote from: ziggy on February 07, 2007, 11:20:41 PM
Great Lakes
1 Calvin 12-0 18-1
5 Hope 13-2 18-2

Homecoming or not, I think Calvin is ready to fall.  Hope's second loss was a carryover from the Calvin loss in DeVos.  The Dutch will come out and overwhelm the Knights in the first 10 minutes.  The question will be if Calvin can recover.

Based upon Calvin's apparently indifferent perfomance last night against a weak Tri-State squad (3-18) I can understand why you might make that claim. But I saw most of Hope's win last night over Olivet and the better team in that game looked pretty uninspiring too. Makes you wonder if each team was looking ahead to Saturday.

David Collinge

Hey Oldknight,
Put down your latest Kronenmeyer sister and come over to the women's NCAC room for a quick cup of coffee.

Dark Knight

Quote from: Preto on February 08, 2007, 12:30:35 PM

I don't know what to think about this game. I think this must be sort of like what the fans of the Dutchmen felt two days ago: they ought to win, they won on the road a couple of weeks ago, but who knows...

I think the big risk for the Dutch is to focus too much on Winkle and Harris and get burned by Calvin's outside shooting. You have to be able to defend the paint without double teaming or (heavens) playing a zone. Or catch the knights on a cold night, e.g. 2-15 from behind the arc against Wheaton.

Massey gives Calvin about a 6-point advantage at Knollcrest, but that's not too far from a tossup.

In any case, it's obviously a huge game for bragging rights but a game unlikely to have post-season implications.

knightrider

I think saturday's game comes down to if calvin can take hope out of their rhythm like they did a couple weeks ago.  The biggest factor a couple of weeks ago is that hope had zero penitration by the guards and Calvin was able to hold hopes posts from creating too much damage.  If Calvin is able to do the same thing, (i.e. shut down Wood, Lange, Warsen) I think they win the game.  Hope I don't think has replaced Bria Ebels yet and that is the big difference between last year and this year.  Hope had a slashing guard that made teams work against the perimeter, which opened up the inside more.  This year, teams can gamble a little bit more with the perimeter players and concentrate more on the inside, and thus compete with Hope.  Both Hope losses attest to guard play as being the difference, just look at Boles shooting percentage against Albion. 
Any way you look at it, I think it is going to be a great game, in front of a great crowd (that could set the regular season women's D3 attendance record again).  It will be fun.  See you all there.

Dark Knight

knightrider, thanks for the post. Very interesting and informative. Gives me an idea of what to look for at the game.

Since this is a homecoming game, most people got tickets in advance. Does anyone know how many tickets have been distributed?

Dark Knight

I just learned that the same ticket will get you in to the men's and women's double header, with the women's game at 12:45 and the men's game at 3:00.

Do the NCAA rules state that the total number of tickets sold is counted as the attendance for both games? If so, could this game, which may have close to 4500 attendance according to the NCAA, be at or near an all-time D-3 women's game attendance record?

Not that I'd put much stock in that record if only 2000 people actually see the game...

What is the all-time attendance record?