Previous topic - Next topic

hawk'ster

Quote from: Preto on February 08, 2007, 12:30:35 PM
Quote from: ziggy on February 07, 2007, 11:20:41 PM
First set of regional rankings:
Great Lakes
1 Calvin 12-0 18-1
5 Hope 13-2 18-2

Homecoming or not, I think Calvin is ready to fall.  Hope's second loss was a carryover from the Calvin loss in DeVos.  The Dutch will come out and overwhelm the Knights in the first 10 minutes.  The question will be if Calvin can recover.

Right on one count – Hope's defense was all over Calvin for the 1st ten minutes.  But that went both ways. 

Flea

I was surprised Winkle passed-up so many 10-12 footers in the paint.  I've seen her hit these before.  Her lack of shooting may be one reason Calvin was chuckin' it from the cheap seats.

oldknight

Quote from: Flea on February 11, 2007, 12:27:20 PM
I was surprised Winkle passed-up so many 10-12 footers in the paint.  I've seen her hit these before.  Her lack of shooting may be one reason Calvin was chuckin' it from the cheap seats.

I also was surprised to see Winkle pass up on a couple of opportunities to take the mid-range jumper. The only thing I can think was happening is that Lisa was giving head fakes so that Ellen Wood (who creates matchup problems for Winkle and for Calvin) would be out of position and, hopefully, get into some foul difficulty.

Knightrider has suggested that Calvin go with a lineup of Winkle, Harris and Willett so as to create matchup problems for Hope the next time they play . Although that possibility has some attraction I agree with the current arrangement John Ross has. His current rotation has Willett subbing in for either Winkle or Harris and I don't see a good rotation available for the Knights if he has to sub in after starting all three of these girls. In yesterday's game Trewhella was seriously gassed late in regulation. You have to give your post players rest too.

David Collinge

Are Lisa Winkle, Sarah Winkle, and Aaron Winkle siblings?  And if so, are there any more at home like them?

Preto

Quote from: David Collinge on February 11, 2007, 02:06:57 PM
Are Lisa Winkle, Sarah Winkle, and Aaron Winkle siblings?  And if so, are there any more at home like them?

Not siblings.

oldknight

Quote from: David Collinge on February 11, 2007, 02:06:57 PM

Lisa and Sarah are sisters. They are not related to Aaron--except possibly very distantly.

realist

Great win for Calvin's women today.  BTW: don't say that in the men's room, even if it is true, some of the posters there are overly sensitive.  Definitely a good test in more ways than one to be ready for the tournaments.
Thanks OK.  I was just going to say the two women are sisters.
"If you are catching flack it means you are over the target".  Brietbart.

Harrier

Did anyone else think the game was over-the-top physical? 

My only problem with the officiating is when there's obvious physical contact which results in a turnover.  There're a few times when an offensive player was knocked to the ground, the ball squirted out-of-bounds and the refs gave it to the other team....strange?

I don't think Calvin went inside because there wasn't anything there.  Wood owned the paint.  Without her athleticism and dribble penetration Harris would've had a tough time getting near the basket.  She wasn't getting the ball down on the box with a chance to make a move.

Winkle seemed a bit gassed.  That may have led to her passing-up some shots.  She was tremendous on defense, often guarding a stronger Wood.  That'd wear on anyone.  We saw some of Winkle's track speed when she ran down a Hope guard following a front court steal and an open basket ahead of her.

Where'll Winkle fall on this season's AA teams?

In 2006 she was Honorable Mention and currently she's on the 2007 pre-season Fourth Team.

Grutte Dirk

Dear Greyhounds,

Please send film of the last three Messiah at Moravia games to:

Coach J Ross
c/o HPERDS Dept
3201 Burton SE
Grand Rapids MI
Bûter, brea en griene tsiis; wa't dat net sizze kin, is gjin oprjochte Fries.

Cowman

Quote from: Harrier on February 11, 2007, 02:55:02 PM
Did anyone else think the game was over-the-top physical? 

My only problem with the officiating is when there's obvious physical contact which results in a turnover.  There're a few times when an offensive player was knocked to the ground, the ball squirted out-of-bounds and the refs gave it to the other team....strange?

Oh my.  In OT a Hope player was sandwiched near the baseline and dropped the ball OB -- CALVIN BALL.  Too important to miss that call.
moooooooooooooooooo

sac

In general i've found women's officiating to be down right atrocious.  But strangely I've also seen some women's games that were much more physical than the men.

The #1 quality in a recruit for D3 should be a sense of humor. ;)

Trailer Dog

Quote from: sac on February 11, 2007, 03:19:20 PM
In general i've found women's officiating to be down right atrocious.  But strangely I've also seen some women's games that were much more physical than the men.

The #1 quality in a recruit for D3 should be a sense of humor. ;)

If the MIAA men played as physical as the women there would be blood on the floor every game.  The stripes would have to put a stop to it.

Flynn

With Calvin winning the MIAA title and on the cusp of a #1 ranking I did a very small piece of research and something dinged my curiousity. 

-- What happened to the Lady Knights from 2001-2003? 
-- What happened in 2004 that brought them back?

1996 .... 1st: (12-0)
1997 .... 1st: (11-1)
1998 .... 1st: (12-0)
1999 .... 1st: (14-2)
2000 .... 2nd: (13-3)
2001 .... 4th: (7-7)
2002 .... 5th: (7-7)
2003 .... 4th: (6-8)
2004 .... 1st: (13-1)
2005 .... 3rd: (13-3)
2006 .... 2nd: (14-2)
2007 .... 1st: (currently 14-0)

Harrier

Quote from: Flynn on February 11, 2007, 05:33:16 PM
With Calvin winning the MIAA title and on the cusp of a #1 ranking I did a very small piece of research and something dinged my curiousity. 

It may've had more to do with the rest of the MIAA than with Calvin.

Dark Knight

Quote from: Flynn on February 11, 2007, 05:33:16 PM

Didn't coach Ross start in 2004? Also Lisa Winkle.

Quote from: Harrier
It may've had more to do with the rest of the MIAA than with Calvin.

The MIAA is very strong this year. Was it even stronger in 2001..3?