WBB: Michigan Intercollegiate Athletics Association

Started by MJA, February 24, 2005, 06:38:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grutte Dirk

Big MIAA volleyball match-up tonight. 

Calvin v. Adrian at Calvin at 6:30 p.m.  An Adrian win would be huge for the Bulldogs.  I see the Knights ripe for the fall.  They have huge games this weekend in Ohio and could be over-looking tonight's MIAA match-up.
Bûter, brea en griene tsiis; wa't dat net sizze kin, is gjin oprjochte Fries.

Grutte Dirk

Quote from: hoopdreams on September 08, 2007, 07:59:24 PM
I was just told that another snikkers, Carrie, is enrolled at Hope as well. Didn't like Oakland at all and will play for the Dutch!

Quote from: hope81 on September 10, 2007, 12:49:46 PM
So here's a question.  I think Carrie Snikkers was runner-up for the Michigan Miss Bball award last year.  How many (let's say top 3 finishers) Mr. (or Miss) Bball's have played in the MIAA before?  I don't know the answer....just wondering if there were any others?

Quote from: SBell on September 10, 2007, 05:41:23 PM
The Oakland website says she was runner-up for Miss Basketball. Of course, the Miss Basketball voting is  more sketchy, uninformed and political than even the Mr. Basketball voting, so who knows what that position means, excactly.

Hope's loaded.
Bûter, brea en griene tsiis; wa't dat net sizze kin, is gjin oprjochte Fries.

sac

Quote from: oldknight on September 10, 2007, 06:51:21 PM

She's an extraordinary talent and if she stays 4 years at Hope the Lady Dutch are all but certain to reach at least one Final Four (and likely more) during her time in Holland. In fact I'll go further than that and predict at least one more championship banner in Holland if she plays four years for Hope. She would mean as much to Hope's women's basketball of this generation as Mark Veenstra did for Calvin's men's teams of the 70's. That would be quite ironic considering both graduated from the same high school.

P.S.  I find it hard to believe she will play four years at the D3 level.

Pretty bold considering how hard it is to get to a final four. :D  She should be a wonderfull player for Hope........but like you I'd be surprised if she finished at Hope.  I'm guessing her late decision to leave Oakland left her with only D3 as a true option.  I've personally never heard of a player leaving before even one day of classes.  Kind of strange.

As far as her impact on the team though, she simply replaces Ellen Wood, joining Lindsay Lange and the promising Emily O'Hare on the baseline.  So really Hope goes back to having a deep front line, when they wouldn't have had one this year.  From what I've heard though her talent seems to be above what you'd expect at the D3 level.  6-3 is very tall for this level.

Don't forget Hope graduated four very good Seniors in Wood, Jurik, Bossard and Henderson, and will graduate Lange, Warsen and Boles this year.  Thats alot of really good players leaving the program in a short period of time.

But hey, it would be awesome to host a couple late March games in DeVos.

PS  I can't believe Morehouse is starting his 12th season at Hope.  wow, do I feel up there in age. ;)

Dark Knight

Quote from: Bilk on September 11, 2007, 01:05:42 PM
Big MIAA volleyball match-up tonight. 

Calvin v. Adrian at Calvin at 6:30 p.m.  An Adrian win would be huge for the Bulldogs.  I see the Knights ripe for the fall.  They have huge games this weekend in Ohio and could be over-looking tonight's MIAA match-up.

Well, the Knights do have two huge matches coming up against #18 Ohio Northern and #1 Wittenberg this weekend, but that didn't slow them down today. They handled previously-unbeaten-in-the-conference Adrian easily. Last year's stars are taking up where they left off last fall, and freshman Kim Wigboldy had 10 kills.

Preto

6   Katie Zondervan   Sr.   S   5-6   Lakewood, CA/Valley Christian
7   Kayla Hollenbeck   Fr.   MH   6-1   Hudsonville/Hudsonville
8   Jessica Garlick   Jr.   S/RS   5-11   Portage/Kalamazoo Christian
9   Kelsey Sears   So.   DS/L   5-6   Traverse City/Traverse City West
10   Rachel DeYoung   So.   OH   5-10   Hudsonville/Unity Christian
11   Katie Corbett   So.   OH/DS   5-8   St. Joseph/Stevensville-Lakeshore
12   Carolyn Nelson   Fr.   S   5-9   Milan/Milan
13   Kristen Kalb   Sr.   OH   5-9   Stow, OH/Stow-Munroe Falls
14   Kim Wigboldy   Fr.   OH   5-9   Scottsdale, AZ/Valley Christian
17   Molly Krikke   Sr.   MH   5-11   Greenwich, OH/South Central
18   Sara Kramer   So.   OH   5-11   Dyer, IN/Illiana Christian
20   Sarah Ernst   Sr.   DS/OH   5-8   Fort Wayne, IN/Concordia Lutheran
21   Lauren DeGroot   Jr.   L/S   5-6   Tulare, CA/Central Valley Christian

Only five of thirteen from Michigan.

WWWRHH

SAC:

I think Hope is even stronger this year than you suggest.

Henderson has another year of eligibility due to a season missed injured two years ago and is back as a fifth year senior.  So the only players in Morehouse's ten player rotation that need to be replaced are Jurik and Woods.

I hear that three of last years sophmores are not coming back this year, but Kopke and Knox are playing.  Kopke was Henderson's backup. Knox is 6-2 and in a reserve role demostrated she was better than most of the posts in the MIAA.  It would appear that "going big" (Lange is 6-2 and O'Hare 6-0) is a real option this year - especially if either Warsen or O'Hare is comfortable at the 3 position.

There will be several new faces on the bench (3 graduations + 3 non-returners), but the Dutch with the addition of Snikkers and nine returning players with significant playing time are set up for a great season.  I don't see a drop off in the 08-09 season either in spite of the four graduations this year.

My schedule is cleared November through March.

Calvin - which had the advantage of playing a big line up last year - appears to be at a real disadvantage.  Winkle graduated and the rumor is Willet is studying off campus and unavailable for the season.  Harris is coming off a very serious knee injury and the reserve front line players are very inexperienced.

sac

I'm certainly no expert on the women's team, thanks for the headsup on Henderson.  I kinda thought that but thought it wise to let someone else correct that.

So indeed, Hope is loaded.  :D ;)

Flea

Friday & Saturday, September 14-15
Adrian, Alma, Calvin and Hope at "Border Battle"
hosted by Wittenberg. Tournament Schedule

Saturday, September 15
Albion at Olivet, 11 a.m.
Kalamazoo at Tri-State, 1 p.m.

The MIAA schools in Ohio are in for a battle. 

Friday, Sept. 14

Baldwin-Wallace def. Alma
3-1 (30-28, 30-28, 27-30, 30-22)   

Ohio Northern #18 def. Calvin #10 . . . ouch
3-0 (30-28, 30-23, 30-23)

Wittenberg #1 def. Adrian
(30-15, 30-18, 30-18)   

Hope def. Mount St. Joseph
3-1 (27-30, 24-30, 30-19, 20-30)

Ohio Northern def. Alma
3-0 (30-18, 31-29, 30-27)   

Calvin def. Baldwin-Wallace
3-0 (30-24, 30-18, 30-20)

Wittenberg vs. Hope   

Mount St. Joseph vs. Adrian

Saturday, Sept. 15

Ohio Northern vs. Hope   

Baldwin-Wallace vs. Adrian

Wittenberg vs. Alma   

Mount St. Joseph vs. Calvin

Baldwin-Wallace vs. Hope   

Ohio Northern vs. Adrian

Wittenberg vs. Calvin   

Mount St. Joseph vs. Alma

Cowman

hope takes #1 ranked witt to 5 games. nice.
lets hope the knights can pull off the upset after being upset friday.
moooooooooooooooooo

Cowman

Quote from: WWWRHH on September 12, 2007, 02:21:16 PM
SAC:

I hear that three of last years sophmores are not coming back this year, but Kopke and Knox are playing.  Kopke was Henderson's backup. Knox is 6-2 and in a reserve role demostrated she was better than most of the posts in the MIAA.  It would appear that "going big" (Lange is 6-2 and O'Hare 6-0) is a real option this year - especially if either Warsen or O'Hare is comfortable at the 3 position.

Jennifer Bylsma (JV)
Brieann Bryant
Kate Reincke
Courtney Knox
Kimmy Gordon
Kaitlyn Kopke

So you're hearing that Bryant, Reincke and Gordon are gone?
moooooooooooooooooo

Flea

Hope v. Calvin, round 1 this Wednesday at Calvin College.

WWWRHH

Cowman:

That is what I hear based on who is attending open gyms.  Of course, it is possible that there could be a change of heart before official practice starts.

Pure speculation on my part, but I assume that  Hope's depth compared to other MIAA teams combined with relatively few key graduations the last couple years, has made it hard for some very fine players in the junior class to establish  a role and get playing time.

Oval

Quote from: WWWRHH on September 17, 2007, 11:00:41 PM

Cowman:

Pure speculation on my part, but I assume that  Hope's depth compared to other MIAA teams combined with relatively few key graduations the last couple years, has made it hard for some very fine players in the junior class to establish  a role and get playing time.

I hope some of them realize the value of being part of a great community.

Flea

Hope wins the first game.

Flea