WBB: Michigan Intercollegiate Athletics Association

Started by MJA, February 24, 2005, 06:38:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChicagoHopeNut

Quote from: oldknight on January 16, 2008, 04:37:36 PM
Quote from: DCHopeNut on January 16, 2008, 09:25:41 AM
Has there been any word in the Holland Sentinel or the Holland gossip underworld since Sunday on the status of Snikkers?

An X-Ray showed no break and a bone scan also did not detect any fracture but some swelling is still present. The plan is to keep her foot in a boot the rest of this week and then reevaluate it. Apparently the doctor isn't sure what's going on either but if the swelling subsides Snikkers might be back on the court next week.

Its been over a week since I last heard anything about Snikkers. Does anyone have a medical update on her?
Tribes of primitve hunters, with rhinestone codpieces rampant, should build pyramids of Chevy engines covered in butterscotch syrup to exalt the diastolic, ineffable, scintillated and cacophonous salamander of truth which slimes and distracts from each and every orifice of your holy refrigerator.

oldknight

Quote from: DCHopeNut on January 25, 2008, 12:33:14 PM
Quote from: oldknight on January 16, 2008, 04:37:36 PM
Quote from: DCHopeNut on January 16, 2008, 09:25:41 AM
Has there been any word in the Holland Sentinel or the Holland gossip underworld since Sunday on the status of Snikkers?

An X-Ray showed no break and a bone scan also did not detect any fracture but some swelling is still present. The plan is to keep her foot in a boot the rest of this week and then reevaluate it. Apparently the doctor isn't sure what's going on either but if the swelling subsides Snikkers might be back on the court next week.

Its been over a week since I last heard anything about Snikkers. Does anyone have a medical update on her?

The boot was to come off Wednesday. I haven't heard if she returned to practice yet but she did expect to do so.

hope1

they said wed night  maybe 4 more weeks then she will be back
i love hope  sports all of them are really great to watch

hope1

nice comeback from being down at halftime nice game and nice win
i love hope  sports all of them are really great to watch

ChicagoHopeNut

Quote from: hope1 on January 27, 2008, 06:47:41 AM
nice comeback from being down at halftime nice game and nice win

You know the Hope women keep on turning out victory after victory but they keep starting really slow as well. I think they have had way too many games stay close too long recently. I am sure getting Snikkers back in a few weeks should help some but I am worried that Hope may have some trouble down the road when they meet up with stronger teams.
Tribes of primitve hunters, with rhinestone codpieces rampant, should build pyramids of Chevy engines covered in butterscotch syrup to exalt the diastolic, ineffable, scintillated and cacophonous salamander of truth which slimes and distracts from each and every orifice of your holy refrigerator.

Flying Dutch Fan

Slow starts aren't good, but it's not unusualy for the Dutch.  They have had that same characteristic for several years - including in 05-06 and they did pretty good in the tournament that year.   ;D

*date corrected
2016, 2020, 2022 MIAA Pick 'Em Champion

"Sports are kind of like passion and that's temporary in many cases, but academics - that's like true love and that's enduring." 
John Wooden

"Blame FDF.  That's the default.  Always blame FDF."
goodknight

sac

Quote from: Flying Dutch Fan on January 27, 2008, 05:14:21 PM
Slow starts aren't good, but it's not unusualy for the Dtuch.  They have had that same characteristic for several years - including in 05 and they did pretty good in the tournament that year.   ;D

They did even better in 2006.  ;D ;)

HopeTV

For all those Snikkers fans out there she will be back this week. Saturday for sure i have from a very very good source...her family. They have been slow lately but they know that when it needs to be turned on it will be.
HOPE plays...HOPE WINS

ChicagoHopeNut

Quote from: HopeTV on January 28, 2008, 01:46:53 AM
For all those Snikkers fans out there she will be back this week. Saturday for sure i have from a very very good source...her family. They have been slow lately but they know that when it needs to be turned on it will be.

That'd be great news for Hope and Carrie.

WWWRHH

[
Quote from: DCHopeNut on January 27, 2008, 04:21:35 PM
You know the Hope women keep on turning out victory after victory but they keep starting really slow as well. I think they have had way too many games stay close too long recently. I am sure getting Snikkers back in a few weeks should help some but I am worried that Hope may have some trouble down the road when they meet up with stronger teams.

I don't think the return of Snikkers will have an impact on how the games start.  Having her back will be an over all positive and create additional rotation options, but her injury is not the root cause of the opponents' increased first half increased competitiveness.  She is a good ball player with great talent and huge potential upside, but she is not on the first unit and in the most difficult games (Albion and St. Mary's) the second unit played well in the first half.

Although I doubt Morehouse would accept what I am about to say as an excuse, the recent difficulty may have a lot to do with the challenges of playing these teams a second time.  The first time a team plays the Dutch it is hard for them to be prepared for the speed and pressure defense.  The second time around it is a little easier to prepare a game plan that may - at least for a time - neutralize some of their strengths. 

For the rest of the season the Hope game will be the biggest game of the year for the opponent and they will all be "up" for the game.  In reality it is harder for Hope to approach every game with this level of intensity – but that is what the coaches expect and demand.

The first unit has to be aware of what is happening and adjust.  They certainly have been able to do this as the game proceeds.  At St. Mary's it was very difficult to get the ball into the post the first half.  The Belles size was comparable, they were allowed to be very physical and they packed it inside on defense.  The solution turned out to be Boles and Cowen finding the mark on three pointers which in turn began to open the game up a little bit. 

The second unit may be having a little more success in the first half because they can watch what is happening, make mental adjustments and come into the game fresh and counter the opponents' strategy.

I have to admit that as a fan these slow starts are frustrating.  We would all like to see a 20 point lead at half time.  But I am also impressed that the team keeps their heads, makes the necessary adjustments and comes back to win.

As much as I and others get excited about Hope's post play and depth, we have to remember that everything starts with the guards. On defense they pressure the ball and create turnovers that lead to transition baskets.  The guards handle the ball, and Henderson and Kopke are primarily focused on creating scoring opportunities for the other players.  (I would be more concerned about injuries to either of these two than any other player.) Green can turn a game around with her defense, and Boles and Cowen can alter a game with their outside shooting.  This is a team based program that was very good before the arrival of every player currently on the roster and most likely will continue to be well after the current freshman class graduates.

Finally (sorry for another long post) it is hard to attribute any of the recent "difficulties" to Snikkers' injury.   I have already mentioned the importance of the guards, and the fact that Carrie is on the second rotation.  But the second unit center position has continued to be productive.  Over the last five games Knox has played very good defense, averaged 8.8 points (=Snikkers) and 9.2 rebounds (+3.5).  Which raises the question of what the rotation looks like when Snikkers (statistically the second best rebounder as well as a proven scorer) is healthy.  It is a good problem to have, but I'm sure it is not easy for the coaches to optimally use all of the talent.

ChicagoHopeNut

Quote from: WWWRHH on January 28, 2008, 10:28:30 AM

Finally (sorry for another long post) it is hard to attribute any of the recent "difficulties" to Snikkers' injury.   I have already mentioned the importance of the guards, and the fact that Carrie is on the second rotation.  But the second unit center position has continued to be productive.  Over the last five games Knox has played very good defense, averaged 8.8 points (=Snikkers) and 9.2 rebounds (+3.5).  Which raises the question of what the rotation looks like when Snikkers (statistically the second best rebounder as well as a proven scorer) is healthy.  It is a good problem to have, but I'm sure it is not easy for the coaches to optimally use all of the talent.

I agree completely with your thoughts on Carrie's return. I think she helps because you can never have enough talented, tall post players. But she won't change the fact Hope has been starting slowly. And as you said, Knox has played well in her place.

My concern is that one of these games Hope starts slow and can't turn it on in the second half. The Albion game was dangerously close to that scenario and Calvin has been playing much better recently. I think that is a scary game the second time around.

WWWRHH

DC:

You're right.  Albion and St. Mary's are decent, well coached teams, but probably not as good as what the Dutch will face in the tournament - especially if they have to go through DePauw again.  A slow start against a very good team could determine the outcome of the game.

Without a Wednesday game, I am sure practices will be intense this week and everyone will be challenged to step up their game.

I almost feel bad for Kalamazoo since they have to visit DeVoss on Saturday.

On the other hand, I think it is a good game for Snikkers to come back.  She should be able to take her shots and work on her moves without a lot of pressure. 

Her return is important for a reason that I think has been overlooked.  When all three centers are healthy foul trouble is a minor concern - all can play aggressive defense all of the time.  However, with Lange in foul trouble last Saturday, I thought that Knox felt forced to play defense a little more cautiously than usual.  It looked like there were times she would have normally tried to block a shot, but pulled back in order to avoid a possible foul.   At the very least, it has to be in the back of her mind.

When all three are available, foul trouble on one might close off the option of going with the big lineup, but it is a managable situation.  However, when Lange fouled out at Albion with the score close, I think that Knox fouling out or getting injured would have been a big deal given Albion's size. 

AlwaysHope

1) I don't know if anyone else noticed this, but in the St. Mary's game, a closely contested contest, the reserves played a total of 90 minutes, compared to 110 minutes for the starters, but outscored the starters, 42 - 40.  This was despite the career high of 27 points scored by Boles.

2) For the year the starters have averaged 35.6 points a year, while the reserves have averaged 42.2 points.  Obviously, some of these games were blowouts where the reserves got a lot of playing time, but still these numbers are very impressive.

3) For a team undefeated in the MIAA and ranked # 1 in the nation, it took 11 weeks before one of its players (Boles) was named MIAA player of the week, and then she had to share it with a Tri-State player.  The emphasis for the women's team is TEAM!

ChicagoHopeNut

Quote from: AlwaysHope on January 29, 2008, 08:04:20 PM
3) For a team undefeated in the MIAA and ranked # 1 in the nation, it took 11 weeks before one of its players (Boles) was named MIAA player of the week, and then she had to share it with a Tri-State player.  The emphasis for the women's team is TEAM!

No doubt. They really are an impressive group. And some of the other facts you mentioned will have to make the MIAA scared that next year's Hope women may be just as good as this years even with the loss of Boles and Warsen and the other seniors.

Flying Dutch Fan

Quote from: DCHopeNut on January 30, 2008, 07:08:07 PM
Quote from: AlwaysHope on January 29, 2008, 08:04:20 PM

No doubt. They really are an impressive group. And some of the other facts you mentioned will have to make the MIAA scared that next year's Hope women may be just as good as this years even with the loss of Boles and Warsen and the other seniors.

And Boles performance was strong enough that she made team of the week on this site.
2016, 2020, 2022 MIAA Pick 'Em Champion

"Sports are kind of like passion and that's temporary in many cases, but academics - that's like true love and that's enduring." 
John Wooden

"Blame FDF.  That's the default.  Always blame FDF."
goodknight