WBB: Little East

Started by Allen M. Karon, March 09, 2004, 03:53:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LORENZO123

Quote from: Maine1 on February 27, 2012, 11:26:48 AM
I wouldn't get to involved in the projected brackets, the real ones can be entirely different.

One can only hope! I was looking forward to seeing you in Wellesley.

MVP

Quote from: LORENZO123 on February 27, 2012, 11:56:40 AM
Quote from: Maine1 on February 27, 2012, 11:26:48 AM
I wouldn't get to involved in the projected brackets, the real ones can be entirely different.

One can only hope! I was looking forward to seeing you in Wellesley.

Babson should host , but don't hold your breath!

7express

That's true, but I still like RIC to host, especially since the men just got sent on the road.  They were 3rd last week, and and the team in second (UNE) lost, so I'd expect them to jump UNE.

Maine 1

WE will find out soon--I would expect RIC to host, as they will likely be a second seed. Just noticed that Amherst is only playing on game on Saturday--so it is possible Amherst could host.
Babson should be hosting over Emmanuel

littleeastguy

So RIC will host. They get Baruch in the first round. This is not a bad draw for the anchorwomen at all.

7express

Quote from: littleeastguy on February 27, 2012, 02:46:07 PM
So RIC will host. They get Baruch in the first round. This is not a bad draw for the anchorwomen at all.

Then they get Hartwick/Emmanuel in round 2.  They'll kill Baruch, they played Emmanuel early in the season, lost by 8 but that was in Boston.  Not sure how Hartwick is, I'll take a look at that this week.

USM plays Bowdoin up in Ithaca.  Why their sending 2 teams from Maine that are 40 minutes from each other to the middle of New York I don't know, but really this matchup is boring.  USM already played and beat them once this year, no reason to say they can't do it again on a neutral floor.

7express

Keene #1 seed in the ECAC New England tournament:
http://www.ecacsports.com/championships/2011-2012_Winter_Championships/2012_Women-s_Basketball_Championships/2012_ECAC_Women-s_Tournament_Seedings
As long as they win Wednesday night, they'll host the semifinals and finals Saturday and Sunday.  Endicott is a team to watch out for, but as long as Keene can score, they should be able to beat any of the other 6 on that list.

7express

Conference awards: http://littleeast.com/sports/mbkb/2011-12/releases/20120228-mbkb-all-conference

I understand why the conference gave player of the year to Cochran, she was all they had on the offensive end, but they finished 2 games behind RIC, so I would've given POY to Cynthia Gaudet.  I also would've swapped Kirsten Morrison (who won rookie of the year) in favor of Carolina Brasa, but really can't blame that.  Gaudet won defensive player of the year and Marcus Reilley won coach of the year.

7express

Keene state opens up the ECAC tournament tonight against 8th seeded Regis College.  Since Keene state is the #1 seed, they will host every gamr at home where they only have 1 loss on the year as long as they keep advancing in the tournament; winning tonight would ensure the semi's and finals are played at Spaulding gym.  Regis was predicted to win the NECC conference in their first year after coming over from the CCC last summer, they did well for the most part: 21-5 on the year and 18-0 in conference, but they got upset in the semifinals by Daniel Webster to end up in the ECAC's.  2 of Regis's 5 losses on the year came to NCAA tournament teams (should be 3 of 5 since Colby should be in the field), and all 5 losses came to teams that finished at least 10 games over .500, and all 5 of the teams had at least 19 wins.  The Pride did not lose any of those 5 games by more than 12 points.  Regis is 10-1 in road games this season, only loss a 4 point loss at Colby.  Regis averages 71.7 points per game.  Keene has to play great defense because Regis looks like a lot better team.  If Keene has a prolonged scoring drought like their capable of, it's lights out for them, because defense can only take you so far.  My prediction: Regis 67 @ Keene 61

7express

Keene is a 58-36 winner over Regis.  With the win, Keene will now host the semifinals and finals Saturday and Sunday; the Owls semifinal opponent will be Colby-Sawyer who was a 69-66 winner over Suffolk.  Regis started the game with the first basket of the game; they ended the half down 29-12.  Keene scored the first basket of the 2nd half, led by now fewer than 19 the remaining of the game, and got it as high as 26 in the 2nd half.  Sara Laudano was the games only double digit scorer as she paced the Owls who shot 34.7%.  Stephanie Crawford lead the way for Regis with 7 who shot only 9-47 form the floor, 1-12 from 3 and turned it over 29 times.

7express

Friday predictions:

Baruch 54 @ RIC 72.
Baruch is 19-9 on the year, but only 9-7 in road/neutral games, and 0-4 against teams in this year's tournament.  RIC is undefeated at the Murray Center.   Last year when Baruch had a better team they lost by 10 to Eastern at Amherst.  RIC should be able to take this by double digits.

USM 66 vs. Bowdoin 53 (game at Ithaca, NY).
Why are 2 schools separated by less than 45 miles playing each other in the middle of New York??  This matchup already took place earlier this year when USM won 63-49 in Gorham back in December.  Both teams are not good away from home; USM is 9-6 away from Gorham, Bowdoin is only 6-6 outside of Brunwick, ME.  USM has the better road/neutral record and won earlier in the season, so their my pick.

7express

Nice time for RIC to suffer their first home defeat of the season as they fall to Emmanuel 57-52 for their first loss in the Murray Center this year.  That also makes RIC 0-2 against Emmanuel this year compared to 25-2 against everyone else, sometime a team just has your number.  The year I was at Hofstra our lacrosse team finished 20-2 but both losses that season were to UMass meaning we went 0-2 against UMass, but were undefeated against everyone else.
Keene beats Colby-Sawyer and they will play Smith for the ECAC title, I'll have more later on in the day.

7express

Second straight year an LEC team falls in the final of the ECAC tournament as Keene loses to Smith 65-57.  This concludes the LEC season and later in the week I'll have a 2012-13 preview, which could come as early as tomorrow.

7express

With the 2011-12 season in the books, it's time to look forward to the 2012-13 season.  If ESPN and CBSsportline can do a power rating 12 hours after the final of the men's championship I can do a 12-13 preview 48 hours after the LEC season ends.  This looks to be Western's to lose next year.  Granted, we don't know who's going to transfer and who were going to bring in, but we bring back 4/5 of our starting 5, and pretty much all of our bench players, though granted the 1 we lose was a second team all conference selection and a floor leader.  Dartmouth (1 senior) should be up there, and I FINALLY look for Boston finish in the top 4 this year.  RIC & Keene should take significant steps back next year; both team lose 4/5 of their starting 5, projected conference record in parenthesis.

1) Western Connecticut (12-2).  Of the 3 teams that finished ahead of us next year, all 3 lose significant pieces.  RIC & Keene graduate 4 starters, and USM graduates Courtney Cochran who was basically their entire offense this year.
2) Dartmouth (10-4).  Like the Colonials, they also return 4/5 of their starting 5.  They'll have one of the taller front court's in the conference with Erika Borneman and Colleen Moriarty both over 6 feet tall.  Their guard play was shaky last year, and with Stephanie Houtman graduating, they should bring in a point guard
3) USM (9-5).  They'll pretty much be undefeated at home, but they'll have to win some games away from Gorham.  With Cochran graduating I look for a more balanced offense; Haley Jordan isn't as good as Cochran, and if Renee Nicholas and Erin McNamera continue to give the ball to Jordan next year instead of looking to shoot more, they could finish more towards the bottom.
4) Boston (7-7).  I believe they have no seniors this year and they have the rookie of the year.  They shoukd at least finish at .500
4) Eastern (7-7).  The biggest wildcard in the whole thing.  If Jess Blodgett and Lauren Kelleher are able to return, this team could finish near the top (both have another year of eligibility left), if they don't I still look for them to finish in the middle of the pack.  Even though they lost a lot, those freshmen that had to play and start, that's valuable experience moving forward.  May not be next year, but it should pay dividends in 13-14.
4) RIC (7-7).  Like West Conn the year before them, they had their 1 window of opportunity and they made it count.  They had more depth then Western did, and Marcus Reilly is as good a coach as Kim Rybczyk is, but I have my doubts.
7) Keene state (6-8).  They couldn't shoot the ball well last year and they graduate 4 starters.  Defense can only get them so far.  Siobhan Carnell will be a big boost for them next year.
8) Plymouth state (4-10).  Still a couple years away, but they should be able to win more then 1 game which is what they've won each of the last 2 years.

player of the year- Colleen Moriarty Dartmouth

All conference team:
Kirsten Morrison- Boston
Renee Nicholas-USM
Krystina Forsman- Eastern
Siobhan Carnell- Keene
Carly Murphy- Western
Colleen Moriarty- Dartmouth

7express

Stephanie Slonski elected to play in NEWBA senior all-star classic in Springfield.  Also joining her from the conference are Rachel Riley, Steph Coro, and Cynthia Gaudet of RIC and Jenn Shinall of Conn College.
http://wcsu.edu/sports/WBasketball/NewsStories/wbSlonskiNEWBASeniorClassic030812.html