FB: American Southwest Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:08:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

umhb2001

I realize UMHB is good, and I know they can play with anybody, but I feel like nothing is given. D3 is really hard to gauge because you don't really know anything about the players other than what you pull up on the box score.

Also, I look to be cordial to fans from other schools. I've been to Wesley and heard negative talk from some of the fans. It left a bitter taste in my mouth, and I don't want any fan who sees me at their field or ours having a bad taste about the people at UMHB. I'll leave it to the boys on the field to leave a bitter taste in the opponents' mouth!
Watch out for the wreckingCRU defense!!

GillCJ1

That's a shame.  When Wesley came to our stadium opening last season I met some really nice people.  They had great things to say about our program and the little rivalry we have with them.  But, I'm sure every school has a segment of fans that kinda ruin it for everyone else.  Sports bring out the best and worst of people.
ASC Football Champs 2002-03, 2005-2018 | D-III National Champions 2016, 2018

2016 National Confidence Playoff Pick 'Em Champion
2017 ASC Pick 'Em Co-Champion

MasterJedi

The problem people at these games are usually students, and usually ones that have been drinking before. Some of the things the Mount Union students said to us UWW people before the Stagg Bowl last....hooo boy. I just don't get it. Glad to say I didn't hear anybody respond to the horrible taunting and at least none of the adults were like that.

GillCJ1

Heh, some of the stories I could share from my undergrad days at a D1 school would make my poor mother roll over in her grave.  Alcohol was usually involved... surprise, surprise.

I hear you guys had a lot of fans at your last game.  12k+?  Grats.  I don't think we've ever hit that number (seating capacity of under 10k). but I know we've had a few games where there was standing room only.  It always makes for a great atmosphere.

bleedpurple

Quote from: Toby Taff on October 30, 2014, 08:23:24 AM
Quote from: bleedpurple on October 30, 2014, 08:02:10 AM
Quote from: crufootball on October 29, 2014, 09:55:15 PM
Quote from: Cowboyup21 on October 29, 2014, 09:17:19 PM
HSU doesn't have a defense and hasn't for a long time. UMHB in a big way.

This feels like a trap or something, care to expand?

Yes, it is a carefully conceived trap. Over several years HSU laid the foundation of the trap by refusing to hold the CRU to anything less than 5 touchdowns.  They continued laying it in place by losing to you guys 63-7 last year. They then added to the deception by losing by more than 3 touchdowns to the team you just slaughtered. But understand, the trap was all laid for this coming Saturday. The Cowboys come out in their true colors, ending the ruse, and run roughshod over the CRU. It's hard to believe they would go to such great lengths, but it's true.

Or... HSU is just terrible and the teams they have beaten are even worse. I guess we will find out Saturday.
this response made me smile. I really wish this rivalry was more competitive, but my guess is the best thing about the trip to Belton from abilene this weekend is going to be the BBQ..

I'm glad you guys took my post in the manner intended. The "trap" post made me smile.   JKeznek kind of summarized my thoughts. Being respectful is good. Bending over backwards too far can make the outsiders chuckle a bit, though.

Toby, I gotta say I do love the "Texas football" bravado in your response. Now THAT sounds more like the guys I know in real life that are either in or from Texas! Don't get me wrong. Nice guys, but not quite as gentle as the posters on this board.  ;)

tsgktx

Quote from: GillCJ1 on October 30, 2014, 10:54:35 AM
Yeah, I think it's more about giving your opponent respect.  All of us know that the Cru were/are favored in every game this regular season.

High for Saturday is 65 and partly sunny.  Hoping for a good turn out.

I think the turnout will be really well. I was looking at picking up an extra seat that is usually open next to my season tickets and it was not available. Judging by the seating chart there is a very limited number of seats available in the reserve sections except on each of end sections. Looks like it will be a very enthusiastic crowd.
UMHB Class of 03

MasterJedi

Quote from: GillCJ1 on October 30, 2014, 02:12:55 PM
Heh, some of the stories I could share from my undergrad days at a D1 school would make my poor mother roll over in her grave.  Alcohol was usually involved... surprise, surprise.

I hear you guys had a lot of fans at your last game.  12k+?  Grats.  I don't think we've ever hit that number (seating capacity of under 10k). but I know we've had a few games where there was standing room only.  It always makes for a great atmosphere.

Exact about was 13,627, with UWO having brought a good contingent on fans. Previous record was also against UWO back in 2012 with 12,318. Too bad the students/other fans don't show up in force during the end of the year/playoffs. It'll drop to below 3,500 the first playoff game.  :'(

GillCJ1

Why the huge decline at the end of the season and playoffs?  Is is due to the weather?  We don't really have that particular problem down in TX.

jknezek

Quote from: MasterJedi on October 30, 2014, 02:57:43 PM
Quote from: GillCJ1 on October 30, 2014, 02:12:55 PM

Exact about was 13,627, with UWO having brought a good contingent on fans. Previous record was also against UWO back in 2012 with 12,318. Too bad the students/other fans don't show up in force during the end of the year/playoffs. It'll drop to below 3,500 the first playoff game.  :'(

To be fair, the UWO game will most likely be much more entertaining than the first round playoff game and that first playoff game falls the weekend before Thanksgiving. The first two rounds are ill-timed, but they are what they are and it is necessary to have our overall outstanding tournament.

Toby Taff

Quote from: bleedpurple on October 30, 2014, 02:17:14 PM
Quote from: Toby Taff on October 30, 2014, 08:23:24 AM
Quote from: bleedpurple on October 30, 2014, 08:02:10 AM
Quote from: crufootball on October 29, 2014, 09:55:15 PM
Quote from: Cowboyup21 on October 29, 2014, 09:17:19 PM
HSU doesn't have a defense and hasn't for a long time. UMHB in a big way.

This feels like a trap or something, care to expand?

Yes, it is a carefully conceived trap. Over several years HSU laid the foundation of the trap by refusing to hold the CRU to anything less than 5 touchdowns.  They continued laying it in place by losing to you guys 63-7 last year. They then added to the deception by losing by more than 3 touchdowns to the team you just slaughtered. But understand, the trap was all laid for this coming Saturday. The Cowboys come out in their true colors, ending the ruse, and run roughshod over the CRU. It's hard to believe they would go to such great lengths, but it's true.

Or... HSU is just terrible and the teams they have beaten are even worse. I guess we will find out Saturday.
this response made me smile. I really wish this rivalry was more competitive, but my guess is the best thing about the trip to Belton from abilene this weekend is going to be the BBQ..

I'm glad you guys took my post in the manner intended. The "trap" post made me smile.   JKeznek kind of summarized my thoughts. Being respectful is good. Bending over backwards too far can make the outsiders chuckle a bit, though.

Toby, I gotta say I do love the "Texas football" bravado in your response. Now THAT sounds more like the guys I know in real life that are either in or from Texas! Don't get me wrong. Nice guys, but not quite as gentle as the posters on this board.  ;)
texans are proud of their football! And people forget that Friday Night Lights is based on a real football program in Texas, and it really is the experience of a lot of high schoolers in the state
My wife and I are Alumni of both UMHB and HSU.  You think you are confused, my kids don't know which Purple and Gold team to pull for.

jknezek

Quote from: Toby Taff on October 30, 2014, 04:38:28 PM
texans are proud of their football! And people forget that Friday Night Lights is based on a real football program in Texas, and it really is the experience of a lot of high schoolers in the state

The book, the movie, nor the TV show really make that something to be overly proud of...

GillCJ1

An interesting little tidbit about this weekend's UMHB/HSU game.  The winner of the regular-season match-up has won at least a share of every ASC title since 1998.

Other games on the docket include Howard Payne vs Louisiana College and Sul Ross State vs East Texas Baptist.  I like LC and ETBU in those games.

MasterJedi

Quote from: GillCJ1 on October 30, 2014, 02:59:19 PM
Why the huge decline at the end of the season and playoffs?  Is is due to the weather?  We don't really have that particular problem down in TX.

Partially the weather (especially last year, and we're predicted to have another winter like that), deer hunting season, people thinking UWW will just win the games, internet streaming allowing you to stay warm while watching the games. Admitedly I did not go to any playoff games last year so I probably shouldn't talk, an hour long drive and the cold and nobody to go with all adds up.

umhb2001

This is off the previous posts, but I just listened to Coach Padron's show on the TLU website, and he mentioned a couple of things that stood out to me.

#1, he said that they were missing someone on defense, and that played a role in the outcome. I can't imagine one guy making much of a dent, at this level, in a 56 point margin.

#2, he said that they are 7th in the regional rankings, and I'm wondering where he is getting this information.

umhb2001

Quote from: GillCJ1 on October 30, 2014, 01:20:27 PM
That's a shame.  When Wesley came to our stadium opening last season I met some really nice people.  They had great things to say about our program and the little rivalry we have with them.  But, I'm sure every school has a segment of fans that kinda ruin it for everyone else.  Sports bring out the best and worst of people.

You are correct. I know one or two don't represent the entire campus. But little things like that can leave a lasting impression on someone.