FB: Minnesota Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:19:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DuffMan

Anyone know what's become of Lone Auggie Backer?

A tradition unrivaled...
MIAC Champions: 1932, 1935, 1936, 1938, 1953, 1962, 1963, 1965, 1971, 1974, 1975, 1976, 1977, 1979, 1982, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1998, 1999, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2021, 2022
National Champions: 1963, 1965, 1976, 2003

Mr.MIAC

To get things fired up early for the All Blacks match later this week, I'll pose a question to you all about a minor controversy brewing. A recent article on Rugby Wrap Up argued Americans attending the match, regardless of actual allegiances, should not wear All Blacks gear. The author thinks it will send the wrong message to team USA and the viewing public. The message being, rugby is something foreign and unpopular in America. He wants everyone to wear red, white, and blue for just one day. Some commentators have gone as far as calling the wear of All Blacks gear unpatriotic. The match is sold out and there will be lots of folks watching on television. It's likely to be the biggest rugby match ever played on American soil. I'm willing to bet most Americans attending the match are All Blacks fans, as they're widely considered the best team in the world. What say you?

Link: http://rugbywrapup.com/2014/10/no-ferns-allowed-one-rule-for-usa-vs-nz

OzJohnnie

Quote from: Reverend MIAC on October 29, 2014, 01:51:18 PM
To get things fired up early for the All Blacks match later this week, I'll pose a question to you all about a minor controversy brewing. A recent article on Rugby Wrap Up argued Americans attending the match, regardless of actual allegiances, should not wear All Blacks gear. The author thinks it will send the wrong message to team USA and the viewing public. The message being, rugby is something foreign and unpopular in America. He wants everyone to wear red, white, and blue for just one day. Some commentators have gone as far as calling the wear of All Blacks gear unpatriotic. The match is sold out and there will be lots of folks watching on television. It's likely to be the biggest rugby match ever played on American soil. I'm willing to bet most Americans attending the match are All Blacks fans, as they're widely considered the best team in the world. What say you?

It's an international test.  Your allegiance was determined by your birth.   Any Yank wearing black isn't a ruby fan but a poseur.
[  

Retired Old Rat

Quote from: DuffMan on October 29, 2014, 11:54:34 AM
Anyone know what's become of Lone Auggie Backer?

I believe he switched to OldAuggie.

DuffMan

Quote from: Retired Old Rat on October 29, 2014, 03:21:51 PM

Ah!  I wasn't sure if they were one, but I guess it makes sense since there is only one Auggie fan. :)

A tradition unrivaled...
MIAC Champions: 1932, 1935, 1936, 1938, 1953, 1962, 1963, 1965, 1971, 1974, 1975, 1976, 1977, 1979, 1982, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1998, 1999, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2021, 2022

jknezek

Quote from: OzJohnnie on October 29, 2014, 03:02:04 PM

It's an international test.  Your allegiance was determined by your birth.   Any Yank wearing black isn't a ruby fan but a poseur.

You don't root against your country. The American Outlaws have shown we can have a passionate national supporters group for soccer, rugby can do the same over time. If the USA is playing, Americans shouldn't come dressed as the opponent.

Mr.MIAC

Hmmm, that's interesting. Does that mean we can only root for Americans at the olympics? I always thought the olympics was about recognizing greatness, at least that's what its motto--Citius, Altius, Fortius (Faster, Higher, Stronger)--says. Isn't there an integrity issue with asking people to false advertise? I always thought rugby was the "gentlemen's game." Finally, why should national identity trump other identities? People have plenty of allegiances to things they hold closer than the nation. Think about something SJU and UST have in common. It's an interesting debate...

retagent

Last night at the Blackhawks game, one of the All Black players was one of the shoot-the-puck (or whatever they call it there) where they shoot from center ice and try to get it through one of three slots. They interviewed him, and he seemed a bit surprised that the game had sold so many tickets, since he didn't think the fans were all that knowledgeable about rugby. I don't know if he was aware that the Mid America Cup in which I played back in the late 70's in Grant Park. It was probably before he was born, and I would think that there are more rugby fans in the Chicago area than he might believe.

OzJohnnie

Quote from: Reverend MIAC on October 29, 2014, 03:30:10 PM

Hmmm, that's interesting. Does that mean we can only root for Americans at the olympics? I always thought the olympics was about recognizing greatness, at least that's what its motto--Citius, Altius, Fortius (Faster, Higher, Stronger)--says. Isn't there an integrity issue with asking people to false advertise? I always thought rugby was the "gentlemen's game." Finally, why should national identity trump other identities? People have plenty of allegiances to things they hold closer than the nation. Think about something SJU and UST have in common. It's an interesting debate...

I have no intention of changing my moniker to OzTommie.

In terms of interesting debate do you pose those questions because you wonder if I know the answer to them or because you don't know already and think tHey may not have been answered before?
[  

repete

Using "Olympics" and "integrity" in the same paragraph is a bit problematic ...

OldAuggie

Quote from: DuffMan on October 29, 2014, 03:25:06 PM
Quote from: Retired Old Rat on October 29, 2014, 03:21:51 PM

Ah!  I wasn't sure if they were one, but I guess it makes sense since there is only one Auggie fan. :)
One Auggie fan at a time is more accurate. We appear in shifts over the years so it looks like there are more of us. It's all part of the plan.
MIAC champions 1928, 1997

jknezek

Quote from: repete on October 29, 2014, 03:57:15 PM

+K. Of course you can also add NCAA, NFL, NBA, FIFA, MLB... hmm, almost any sports ruling body seems to drop the ball when it comes to integrity, common sense, and legal issues.

Mr.MIAC

Quote from: OzJohnnie on October 29, 2014, 03:55:40 PM

I have no intention of changing my moniker to OzTommie.

In terms of interesting debate do you pose those questions because you wonder if I know the answer to them or because you don't know already and think tHey may not have been answered before?

Those are some of the questions that have come up in rugby fandom this week. I don't necessarily have any answers, though maybe I have some leanings. I'm interested in hearing what you and others think.

PS: OzTommie has a nice ring to it. On the other hand, maybe go with Tommie von Oz...it sounds more international.

Mr.MIAC

Quote from: repete on October 29, 2014, 03:57:15 PM

+K

hazzben

So what happens if you're 100% Dutch and the USMNT is playing the Orange in Soccer (a friendly or the World Cup).

Seriously, I've always rooted for the Netherlands and haven't had to pic and choose. It'd be tough. Not the least for the tension Rev is feeling...his favorite team is far superior to his national team. This past World Cup I was going nuts for both, but as Holland got further once again, the intensity and loyalty continued deeper into the tourney.

In my defense, at least I have some genetics (and decades of familial, community and high school indoctrination) causing my torn loyalties. If it ever comes to pass, I'd guess I'd cheer for team USA  ???

Cue Oz calling me a pansy for being a soccer fan in the first place  :P