2014 D3 Season: National Perspective

Started by PaulNewman, August 24, 2014, 02:13:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D3 Scout

Does anyone have any knowledge about Pool B teams getting at large bids. If UC Santa Cruz wins their remaining two games (one is against trinity) and UW Whitewater win the WIAC, both teams in my mind will be deserving of a bid.

lastguyoffthebench

I know, FW.   I'm trying to compile the data lists from all the regions to one spreadsheet...   

lastguyoffthebench

There is only one Pool B bid, but I believe those that miss Pool B also will fall into Pool C pot. 

jknezek

Quote from: lastguyoffthebench on October 29, 2014, 03:38:31 PM

There is only one Pool B bid, but I believe those that miss Pool B also will fall into Pool C pot.

Yes. Pool B bids are decided first. Teams qualified but not selected for a Pool B bid fall into the Pool C process.

D3 Scout

Will be interesting to see if the NCAA were to pick a true at large team rather than a on paper better pool b at large team

Mr.Right

Quote from: Flying Weasel on October 29, 2014, 03:16:25 PM
Quote from: lastguyoffthebench on October 29, 2014, 02:58:41 PM
http://www.masseyratings.com/rate.php?s=csoc2014&sub=11620

Sort by Rating, SOS, etc...

The Massey SOS values are irrelevant.  It's the NCAA's SOS values that are used and therefore the ones that matter.  The NCAA SOS values can be found in the regional data sheets they make available.

Yes I realize this but I thought if someone was bored we could get a listing of the top 15 SOS in the country based on the regional ranking data sheets

Flying Weasel

Quote from: lastguyoffthebench on October 29, 2014, 03:36:41 PM

I know, FW.   I'm trying to compile the data lists from all the regions to one spreadsheet...   

Yeah, but any comparison that uses data different from what the committee is using will not help one understand how the comittee came to the conclusions/rankings they did.

And yes, it is unfortunate that the NCAA regional data sheet do not convert nicely to spreadsheets.  There'a a fair bit of manual work to clean and straighten them up before you can start working with the data.  I've done it in the past, but just haven't had the time in recent years.

PaulNewman

DePauw @ Wabash ends 1-1.  Well played game.  Not sure who this helps or hurts, although a Denison win over OWU (unlikely) I think would put DePauw out.

On Luther, I don't care what the criteria are.  If the same committee puts you at #2 one week and you don't lose then you can't be completely unranked the next week.  I almost have to believe there is some kind of error that will be fixed.

Mr.Right

NCAC with all the great games on tap tonight I have no idea which one to watch.  In your opinion which one should I watch? I want a game with a couple teams that will attack...Any ideas? RUN v Montclair or Dickinson game ?  Any others? I was going to watch Colby v Bates because I obxiously favor nescac but there are to many options tonight. Also, would not mind a game with something on the line

PaulNewman

Tough luck for MSOE.  Loses 2-1 to Dominican in 109th minute of 2OT.

RPI now down 2-0 to Keene St.

PaulNewman

Mr.Right, I like to get a bank of devices going like I'm at NASA, haha.  The desktop or all-in-one, next to the laptop, next to the Chromebook, with an IPad as a standby.  Sometimes like to plug into the big screen TV too.

At any rate, I would watch 15 minutes of Redlands at Pomona just for fun to get a feel for some West Coast action.  But then it gets crazy.

Dickinson at Muhlenberg and Montclair at Rutgers-N are probably the feature games of the night, but Denison @ OWU is worth a look (and usually OWU video is good) and Camden and Richard Stockton might be a sleeper.  If you haven't ever watched Wheaton (Ill) they have a professional style production with knowledgeable but sometimes biased announcers (with great post-game coach interview win or lose) similar to Messiah.  And Christopher Newport does a very good production with very good video and nice field for viewing (but I know nothing about Marymount).

I will follow Colby-Bates very closely but probably mostly via Live Stats. 

Mr.Right

Yea there are some schools that really do some excellent video work. OWU does have a great feed. I like the big screen which limits me to one game but makes for the ultimate setting providing it is a good feed.

lastguyoffthebench

Frostburg st crushing the hearts of York with 5 min left.   CNU is fading fast... What's happened to them?  Can Marymount pull off a miracle and hold this lead?

lastguyoffthebench

2nd yellow for Stockton's colofranson... 40 left.   Disaster for them.   First yellow was soft.     

PaulNewman

OWU drilling Denison.

CNU still in trouble.

Dickinson and Muhlenberg deadlocked....oh wait, Dickinson just scored.

Redlands leading Pomona-Pit late.

Rutgers-N leading 1-0 on Montclair.