WBB: Northwest Conference

Started by swiss, March 07, 2005, 12:40:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

swiss

RC...

Trinity's Athletic Center cost 15 mil in 1992.  The gym seats 1800.  Any other objections?

andrew

I talked to the guys at Hoopsville on Selection Sunday and they mentioned that they figured this regional would be at Randolph-Macon.  When I asked them why they didn't tell me that other places were undeserving, they assumed it would be there because the NCAA would want to build up hype for the Final Four which will be held close by.

It's not that the care about the expenses with flying in people, they want to make as much money as possible with the Final Four as possible while screwing over West Coast teams as much as possible.

swiss

BTW:  R-M's gym only holds 1600 and they average 200 fans per game.

Pat Coleman

Macon's gym holds 1680 and they had 1100 there on Saturday, about 850 of which were Macon fans. While I don't know when RMC's spring break is, I would expect that if in-session, Macon could easily sell out its 840-ticket allotment and maybe the leftover tickets that the three opposing teams are unlikely to sell.

swiss

Well...I can assure you the Bruins will have at least 18 there (15 players and 3 coaches) on Friday.  I think that's all they'll need to take care of business but I suspect a few others will straggle in to watch.  I bet SBC will show up too.  It should be a great game.

May the best team win!

swiss

One other tidbit.  I noticed on the men's side that UPS didn't get the nod as a regional site even though they had the number one seed.  Hmmm... they chose UW-Stevens Point, a mid country site.  Well, that's a good idea.  At least Hanover won't be put out.

andrew

Why would they go to UPS? That's on the west coast. http://discus.d3hoops.com/discus/clipart/happy.gif" ALT=":-)" BORDER=0>

Pat Coleman

And their gymnasium is not available this weekend, which kind of makes it difficult to put games at UPS. Nice theory, though.

Wyoming Bruin

It is somewhat humerous that we west coast afficiondos so frequently assume we are the beneficiary of East coast bias.  Not that we aren't.  Just because we are paranoid doesn't mean someone isn't out to get us.  None the less, sometimes there are legitimate reasons.  Not often, but sometimes. It does seem that if someone has to be host rather than playing the games on a neutral court, it should be the higher rated seed.  Of course, then you get into the whole east coast bias thing again as to how the voting is done and where those committee members are from and have they ever seen a GFU or Whitworth game.  It is what it is.  The only solution is "Just win baby, Win."  If not, we'll love our NWC representative anyway.  Especially when it is GFU.

littlest BIG

Swiss
I completely agree with you that coaches do not need to be liked by all of their players, in my experience both playing and coaching, this has never been the situation.  I also agree with your point that each player may want something different, but when they come together and want the same outcome that is what makes a great team.  However, yes a coach does have a lot to do with this, but I know from experience that all of the players have to be the first to jump on board with this idea before it will completely work.  

It seems to me that you and I are definitely on the same page when it comes to good coaches.  I again completely agree with all the characteristics that you listed for your most memorable coaches, I too have had those unforgettable coaches in my life.  

My comments on COY really had nothing to do with likes or dislikes of coaches.  I just wanted to throw something out there that would cause some discussion and I guess I hit a few sensitive nerves.

wildcat1144

good footwork in that backpedaling, littlest Big.

d-mac

Basketball in Division III at this time of year... is so SWEET!!!
32 teams still have a chance at two national titles... and many teams weren't expected to get this far.
Tonight, a preview of this weekend's Sweet 16 action and preparations for the Final Four... on "http://www.d3hoops.com/hoopsville">Hoopsville"!!!

Wooster, Wittenberg, and Illinois Wesleyan are out of the men's bracket!
So, who in the world is still left in the Men's Road to Salem?
Well... UW-Stevens Point, Amherst, and St. John Fisher.

Trinity (TX) is still alive. Most thought they would be playing IWU on Friday night, instead they face Hanover. Tonight, we will chat with Coach Pat Cunningham about his Tigers. Their road to the Final Four is going to be a tough one.

Then there is John Carroll, who defeated Wittenberg to earn their Sweet 16 berth. Coach Mike Moran seems to have his Blue Streaks team clicking on all the right cylinders, having won the OAC before their run in the NCAA's. We will chat with Coach Moran about his upcoming game against Albion... who got by on what some say is a questionable win over Wooster.

On the women's side, not too many upsets, even though DePauw and Buena Vista were eliminated on their Road to Virginia Beach.

Wesleyan continues to surprise as they took out Staten Island to earn their Sweet 16 game against Springfield. Coach Kate Mullen will join us live on the air to talk about how this season's finish isn't what the Cardinals planned on... and how they're looking to keep dancing.

George Fox will be earning a lot of frequent flyer miles this weekend. Coach Scott Rueck has his Bruins playing very good basketball and will take on St. Benedict, who upset Buena Vista. But how are the Bruins going to handle flying across the entire length of the nation for the game(s)... we will ask Coach Rueck.

And Salem is getting ready for their tenth Men's Final Four. ODAC Commissioner Brad Bankston will join us live on the air to let us know how the preparations are going. How you can get tickets! And what else you can expect and should do while in the great city of Salem (and Roanoke), Virginia.

Oh... and of course we will chat with our regional reporters - Gordon Mann will actually join us in studio. And we will certainly take your questions and comments on the air and try and cover a very busy week of basketball.

So come join us online and LIVE from 8PM - 10PM Eastern!

"http://www.d3hoops.com/hoopsville">Hoopsville": only place where you can listen or chat about Division III Basketball in the nation.

Check out the "http://www.d3hoops.com/hoopsville">Hoopsville" page for information on how you can listen... and be a part of the show.

swiss

Well that's more like it...  The WBCA's poll, just released, shows GFU at 14th.  I happen to think they are underrated even there but they will have to hit on all cylinders this weekend to prove me right.  This team completely dominated Chapman in the second half even with KL being slowed by their defense.  

We all know that polls are no substitute for performance...so go hard BRUINS, and take 'em all the way!

Pat Coleman

D3hoops.com will be broadcasting the entire Randolph-Macon sectional. More details, including a link to the NCAA site where the broadcast links will appear, can be found on our Audio page.

http://www.d3hoops.com/audio/" target=_top>http://www.d3hoops.com/audio/

Wyoming Bruin

Only 1 hour till broadcast.  We will see if the GFU we know and love got off the plane to represent the NWC in the fashion we have become accustomed to.