2017 Season - National Perspective

Started by D3soccerwatcher, August 11, 2017, 10:25:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr.Right

Also, Rowan looks to be sitting compact defensively with numbers and only willing to attack with 4 or 5.

firstplaceloser

yeah it's the same thing going back and worth. if anyone is going to score it will be rowan

Mr.Right

I agree..while RUN has skill I really like rowan's athleticism, size and skill BUT why don't they take more chances and send guys forward? They are worried about RUN on the counter and yes RUN has the skill to be good on the counter but I just think if the rowan coach had more guts and let his boys loose they would get a goal or 2.

Mr.Right

RUN at Rowan 0-0 Heading to OT...Not sure if there is a game winner in this game unless the game starts to get stretched and either team decides they want to go out and win this thing. If I was playing RUN I would press the crap out of their backs and take chances and force giveaways that would give my team numerous scoring chances. It's interesting because if these two teams were not playing so cautiously they both could score a ton of goals.

Mr.Right

Rowan gets the game winner as they defeat RUN 1-0. #9 with the goal and from i saw in the 2nd half and OT he had blazing fast speed and nice skill..Kid is a legit player. Good win for Rowan as they will be hosting in the NCAA's for at least the 1st/2nd Round. I thought RUN were actually pretty disciplined as I was expecting an undisciplined skillful bunch. They have skill but lack size and their GK would scare me. Rowan was winning everything in the air and come November that will hurt RUN IMO.

Go2Goal

I agree. Rowan was able to shut down RUN all American Foward. They took over in the second half. #9 is a transfer from Montclair that had 11 goals as a freshman for them 2 years ago. Now he's at Rowan as a sophomore and is a total stud. Rowan added 6 new starters to the team that went 17-3-1 and graduated only 2 players. Their early season losses were to top 10 teams. They definitely have momentum after the big win tonight.

firstplaceloser

rowan spent the off-season recruiting the NJACs best players. stole #9 from Montclair. stole #10 Ryan campbell from Ramapo as well as another ramapo player. not saying it's a bad thing but they took care of business last off season. rowan has the talent to make a run as long as they are playing at their home turf. home field advantage is HUGE is November. nothing is better than playing for your fans and school at a NCAA sanctioned event.  Rowan is more than likely going to meet Newark in the Finals of NJAC conference tournament so we will see. best of luck to both teams

truenorth

Sounds like Rowan is your typically academically oriented D3 school... ::)

PaulNewman

Quote from: firstplaceloser on October 15, 2017, 07:36:27 PM
rowan spent the off-season recruiting the NJACs best players. stole #9 from Montclair. stole #10 Ryan campbell from Ramapo as well as another ramapo player. not saying it's a bad thing but they took care of business last off season. rowan has the talent to make a run as long as they are playing at their home turf. home field advantage is HUGE is November. nothing is better than playing for your fans and school at a NCAA sanctioned event.  Rowan is more than likely going to meet Newark in the Finals of NJAC conference tournament so we will see. best of luck to both teams

Rowan has exactly the set-up you described last year....home field all the way to the Final Four.  They could not beat Tufts on home field in the 2nd round.

Go2Goal

Rowan has turned from a teaching school from its inception to an engineering school with the change from Glassboro State to Rowan. The cumulative GPA of the team is above 3.0!

The Rowan University men's and women's soccer teams received the United Soccer Coaches Team Academic Award for the 2016-17 academic year. The recipients were announced on Thursday.

The Profs were one of just 195 programs across all divisions to earn the award in both genders. A total of 813 teams (282 men, 531 women) were honored for posting a team grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 or higher.

As for Tufts last year! Rowan didn't beat them obviously, but they only graduated one starter. Rowan is still a year away from having the Coaching staffs first recruiting class are seniors. That class has two sophomore all-Americans!

firstplaceloser

Quote from: PaulNewman on October 15, 2017, 07:52:26 PM

Rowan has exactly the set-up you described last year....home field all the way to the Final Four.  They could not beat Tufts on home field in the 2nd round.

yes you are correct but they were not this deep and they lost to Tufts.. can't really fault them on that one

PaulNewman

Congrats to Rowan for that academic success.

What I take from the last few posts is that D3 isn't supposed to be just about ultra-elite New England private colleges, BUT, it also isn't supposed to be a breeding ground for transfer havens and soccer factories.  And regarding the latter, and as I've commented before, my main reaction is that kids sometimes spending 6-7 years exhausting their D3 eligibility on D3 especially...and bouncing around schools specifically because of soccer just seems plain silly to me (likely involving some denial about the relative importance of one's soccer "career").  You can't chase the feeling of being the star high school quarterback forever.

PaulNewman

Quote from: firstplaceloser on October 15, 2017, 10:12:11 PM

yes you are correct but they were not this deep and they lost to Tufts.. can't really fault them on that one

I don't fault them but they were strong favorites to get to the Final Four and seriously compete for a title.  What was their national ranking going into the tournament last year?  There was a reason Rowan was going to host to the Final Four.  Tufts barely made the tournament.

firstplaceloser

Quote from: PaulNewman on October 15, 2017, 10:18:10 PM
Quote from: firstplaceloser on October 15, 2017, 10:12:11 PM

I don't fault them but they were strong favorites to get to the Final Four and seriously compete for a title.  What was their national ranking going into the tournament last year?  There was a reason Rowan was going to host to the Final Four.  Tufts barely made the tournament.

yeah i agree with you 100%. Tufts is a tournament team that can beat anyone that's all i was saying. they won titles with 5-7 losses. BUT that's no excuse for Rowan. i think the thing that rowan has this year that they didn't last year and that's depth. their subs change the game and that's what you need. injuries start popping up now that it's the end of the season. i remember 2013 late injuries KILLED us going into elite 8 and final four. they need a lucky draw and they need to host and take care of business. they could even see newark in the Elite 8 game!

blooter442

Quote from: PaulNewman on October 15, 2017, 10:16:00 PM
What I take from the last few posts is that D3 isn't supposed to be just about ultra-elite New England private colleges, BUT, it also isn't supposed to be a breeding ground for transfer havens and soccer factories.

Agreed. As an aside, in looking at the list of award-winning schools, there are a number of impressive average team GPAs -- ones that stood out to me included Case Western (3.50), Colorado College (3.52), Haverford (3.51), Vassar (3.57), WashU (3.53), W&L (3.66), and MIT (3.59!). All very good schools in their own rights, so to have athletes maintaining those GPAs (major difficulty nonwithstanding) while playing soccer is really impressive.