FB: Minnesota Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:19:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AO

Quote from: DuffMan on December 06, 2012, 04:32:43 PM
Quote from: AO on December 06, 2012, 04:14:17 PM
Melrose children are taught at age 10 to replace "Brave" at the end of the banner with "Dutchmen" as loudly as they possibly can.

Isn't that the case at most schools?  I always remember "...and the home of the SABRES" at Sartell.
I'm sure it is.  I certainly copied it from Melrose.  The Dutchmen were particularly good at it, even if they had to shout down the young soloist who was hoping for a big finish. 

OzJohnnie

Quote from: AO on December 06, 2012, 04:45:29 PM
Melrose children are taught at age 10 to replace "Brave" at the end of the banner with "Dutchmen" as loudly as they possibly can.

Isn't that the case at most schools?  I always remember "...and the home of the SABRES" at Sartell.
I'm sure it is.  I certainly copied it from Melrose.  The Dutchmen were particularly good at it, even if they had to shout down the young soloist who was hoping for a big finish. 

AO, surely you must realize that by admitting you copied Melrose behaviour that you are now indicting yourself as much as the town you dispise.  While a collective apology from the denizens of Melrose for sins past and present is a hopeless fantasy, contrition from you is not.

Maybe it can be in the the form of a Duffman-like "Letter from the Heathens."
[  

AO

Quote from: OzJohnnie on December 06, 2012, 05:32:45 PM

AO, surely you must realize that by admitting you copied Melrose behaviour that you are now indicting yourself as much as the town you dispise.  While a collective apology from the denizens of Melrose for sins past and present is a hopeless fantasy, contrition from you is not.

Maybe it can be in the the form of a Duffman-like "Letter from the Heathans."
I should have put some emoticons in my post.   I'm not being sarcastic when I say I wish Long Prairie still played Melrose.  I respected Sieben, Elliott and Linneman while wanting to crush them. 

Mr. Ypsi

When I was growing up, at Bradley University games many people did the same thing.  But since it is the Bradley Braves, I doubt most people even noticed! ;D

mattvsmith

Fellas, I know my suggestion does appear harsh to some or many. Have any of you ever had to come in and replace a person who is legendary? I have, and it is hell. You are constantly being second guessed, doubted, compared negatively, and generally thought to be a great disappointment, especially by the subordinates who claimed that they would help ease the transition. My subordinates used to call their previous boss to ask what to do after I had just told them what to do. They'd even suggest that I call him and ask him how he would have done things.

I was hired because I was completely opposite of my predecessor who, although technically competent, was an old mule who was always right, you're not only wrong but an idiot and he would tell you and everyone else how stupid you are. I spent 15 months building bridges with major stakeholders all the while having my efforts undermined by people saying, "That's not the way Bob would have done it."

I realize that the SJU coach is not like Bob at all. I understand that he is well loved and deservedly so. But understand human nature. If people from "the good old days" hang around and start in in the new coach about how you did it in the past, what the old coach would have done, these are our traditions, then they are going to make the new coach's life hell and they are going to prevent the program from moving forward again.

Then again, maybe SJU needs someone like me who comes in, holds the position for a year or so to get everyone's mind off the previous person, and the second replacement comes in to take over after the perceived abject failure, and has a great career. I've done this three times. I replaced a strong personality, I undid damage but got blamed for not being a legendary god and leave after 10-15 months, only be replaced by a person who enjoys the fruits of my efforts, and gets praised for mediocrity: "He may not be Bob, but at least she ain't The Rev." I've discovered, though, that I'm good at being the guy that comes in and is a transition. It sucks but someone has to do it because some organizations are so sick they need people like me willing to do it.

By the way, priests have this trouble, too. Ask any parish priest who gets assigned pastor of St. X's Parish immediately after the most legendary pastor leaves. They rarely last their seven year term.

I'm telling you, you won't lose traditions with a clean slate, but you will ruin people and set your organization back if you don't let the new man be himself without being a redux of his predecessor.

retagent

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on December 06, 2012, 06:07:15 PM

When I was growing up, at Bradley University games many people did the same thing.  But since it is the Bradley Braves, I doubt most people even noticed! ;D

As a young boy growing up n SE MN, the Milwaukee Braves were the nearest MLB team (Before 1962) I thought that the Star Spangled Banner was the Braves theme song.........the land of the free and the home of the Braves.

DutchFan2004

My two cents on SJU.  It will be hard to walk in these shoes.  No one will fill those shoes.  It will take the entire fan base to get behind and stay behind the next coach whoever that is.  There will never be another one like Coach G. 
Play with Passion  Coach Ron Schipper

OzJohnnie

Rev;

Is a peaceful transition possible?  Like from a President to a Vice President, perhaps?  That's been known to happen from time to time.

Gags had a lot of guys go through his program that went on to be very successful themselves. We don't, as an immutable rule, require a radical transition.
[  

Mr. Ypsi

^^ True, but Rev makes a good point.  Those who follow a legend are rarely seen as successes.  The old saying is it is best to be the one after the one who follows a legend!

oldsju67

The last shall be first and the  shall be... FIRST AGAIN!!!

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: oldsju67 on December 06, 2012, 09:54:28 PM
....unless you follow a legend at UWW.

Excellent counter-example, but I said 'rarely', not 'never'! 8-)

retagent

I think one thing that may work in favor of the next coach is the fact that there is nothing left undone, and the departure has been anticipated for some time. It was just a matter of exactly when JG would decide to hang it up. It won't be as though the next coach has pushed him out. I think the acceptance will be a little easier to come by. As long as he isn't a complete D Bag, and the program doesn't compltely smell. ::)

2115 Summit

Quote from: retagent on December 06, 2012, 10:29:08 PM
I think one thing that may work in favor of the next coach is the fact that there is nothing left undone, and the departure has been anticipated for some time. It was just a matter of exactly when JG would decide to hang it up. It won't be as though the next coach has pushed him out. I think the acceptance will be a little easier to come by. As long as he isn't a complete D Bag, and the program doesn't compltely smell. ::)

Well, here is to hoping whoever the new coach is, he (she) implements his (her) own set of NO's......
No recruiting, No lifting of the weights, No film sessions, and NO practice!!  ;)

OzJohnnie

Quote from: 2115 Summit on December 06, 2012, 10:58:39 PM
Well, here is to hoping whoever the new coach is, he (she) implements his (her) own set of NO's......

We'll have to call you Loretta.  SPLITTER!
[  

2115 Summit

Quote from: OzJohnnie on December 07, 2012, 12:51:53 AM
Quote from: 2115 Summit on December 06, 2012, 10:58:39 PM

We'll have to call you Loretta.  SPLITTER!

Oh common, I barely post: I really am a peacekeeper- honest! :) I was only trying to make light of something that JG was so successful at executing- by simply making an unreasonable suggestion of something I think everyone could agree would not work! Also, was hoping for a few laughs!  ;)

So moving along, If I have not redeemed myself, can I at least be Stan? Okay- my lips are now :-X