FB: Minnesota Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:19:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jamtod

Quote from: jamtod on July 21, 2020, 05:11:07 PM
Star Tribune puffing up St Thomas as it heads to D1, with an alleged quote from an existing Pioneer League member about UST being "too good"

https://www.startribune.com/st-thomas-too-good-for-division-i-pioneer-football-league-too/571839771/

Also, I made the mistake of reading the comments. Reminder: never read the comments.
Almost waded in after reading about how UST barely beat Carleton last year. Luckily, I don't have a login.

I'll give them this much, that was the closest and most nervous I've ever been about a 63-15 win.

GoldandBlueBU

Quote from: faunch on July 21, 2020, 05:14:49 PM
D3 fall championships about to get the 🪓 for 2020.

https://twitter.com/d3football/status/1285682888617472001?s=21

Only a matter of time before the whole d3 football season gets shelved...  :'(

faunch

Quote from: GoldandBlueBU on July 22, 2020, 10:38:29 AM

If there's not a spring season is there any chance players are granted an additional year of eligibility?
I'm also worried how many schools survive...athletically and academically...they cannot afford to have students withdraw.

"I'm a uniter...not a divider."

Pat Coleman

Quote from: faunch on July 22, 2020, 10:55:00 AM

If there's not a spring season is there any chance players are granted an additional year of eligibility?
I'm also worried how many schools survive...athletically and academically...they cannot afford to have students withdraw.

Yes -- the NCAA said that up front a few weeks ago. It should be easy to get a waiver for this year based on the criteria the NCAA said schools had to meet.

I agree that we will have schools which don't make it if football players don't enroll for the fall. We talk about that and other things on our podcast this morning:

Pod also features TCNJ coach Casey Goff, who has known for a month that his team wouldn't be taking the field -- good perspective on what can be learned from a month of planning. In addition, we talk to Centre wide receiver Jordan Gunter. He also plays on Centre's baseball team, so spring football would require a tough decision on his part, and he talks pretty frankly about that. And we talk with Illinois Wesleyan coach Norm Eash -- as of yesterday, IWU and the CCIW were still planning on having a season of some sort, so we get to hear that perspective as well.

https://www.d3blogs.com/d3football/2020/07/22/atn-podcast-276-running-toward-the-spring/
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

MediaGuy

I don't know if anyone has asked this question yet, because I realize that the "spring season" solution is an attempt to still play a season hoping there will be significant changes to the statistics or health care by spring...but if we play a full season in the spring and then again in the fall of 2021 we are going to ask athletes to play a minimum of 20 college level football games in a span of 7-8 months.  And that is a minimum...even if you have a shortened spring season say 8 conference games plus say 3 rounds of playoffs there is still a huge potential for over-use type injuries.  Say Mount Union or UW Whitewater plays in all 13 games of a shortened spring season, then goes to the Stagg bowl the following fall, that would be 27 games played in 8 months.
I've talked to players who have played in 13 game seasons, and most of them are still dealing with lingering injuries well into Jan or Feb the next year.  The off-season is used not only to get bigger, faster and stronger, but also to change the work load on an athletes body.

If you look at baseball players, the pitchers who end up getting Tommy John surgery in their early 20s don't throw harder or do less rehab than other players, they're usually the ones in winter leagues and multiple traveling teams growing up and they never get an off-season to rest and recover.  If we learn anything from the CTE debate that has dominated our sport for the last few years, it should be that proper recovery and rehab is just as important than preventing injuries and that even though college athletes look and feel indestructible, they are far from it.

I don't have a simple or easy solution, but I do know if we end up playing spring and fall back to back, we will see a significant increase in knee, back and shoulder injuries in the fall

Texas Ole

Quote from: Pat Coleman on July 22, 2020, 10:58:39 AM

Yes -- the NCAA said that up front a few weeks ago. It should be easy to get a waiver for this year based on the criteria the NCAA said schools had to meet.

I agree that we will have schools which don't make it if football players don't enroll for the fall. We talk about that and other things on our podcast this morning:

Pod also features TCNJ coach Casey Goff, who has known for a month that his team wouldn't be taking the field -- good perspective on what can be learned from a month of planning. In addition, we talk to Centre wide receiver Jordan Gunter. He also plays on Centre's baseball team, so spring football would require a tough decision on his part, and he talks pretty frankly about that. And we talk with Illinois Wesleyan coach Norm Eash -- as of yesterday, IWU and the CCIW were still planning on having a season of some sort, so we get to hear that perspective as well.

https://www.d3blogs.com/d3football/2020/07/22/atn-podcast-276-running-toward-the-spring/

If the MIAC continues down the road several schools seem to want I could see the conference limiting those students ability play that extra year.  I think that would cause a rather large split in the conference possibly causing schools to leave the conference.

miac952

Quote from: Texas Ole on July 22, 2020, 06:31:18 PM
Quote from: Pat Coleman on July 22, 2020, 10:58:39 AM

If the MIAC continues down the road several schools seem to want I could see the conference limiting those students ability play that extra year.  I think that would cause a rather large split in the conference possibly causing schools to leave the conference.

St Johns was set to roster 220 this season. What does that look like next year with two freshman classes, and one less D3
Football power in the conference? A roster of 300?? Probable.  My guess is that roster will be frowned upon while Mac runs a roster of 40 guys out on the field and an assistant coach with tinfoil on his head live tweeting the latest conspiracies at halftime. The "kick them out" crowd will have a short leash for a 300 man roster.

jamtod

Doing a quick review of the final Top 25 from last year compared to teams or conferences that have already called off the fall season. 6 7 of 25 off so far. Several hopeful for spring play. Several announcing no non-conference play, and others with conference teams falling off the schedule due to announcements already.

Did I miss anyone?

Rank   School (No. 1 votes)   
1   North Central (Ill.)
2   UW-Whitewater
3   Mount Union - no non-conference
4   St. John's - no non-conference
5   Wheaton (Ill.)
6   Mary Hardin-Baylor
7   Muhlenberg - possible spring?
8   Delaware Valley - no non-conference
9   Salisbury
10   Chapman
11   Wesley
12   Union
13   John Carroll - no non-conference
14   Wartburg
15   St. Thomas - no non-conference
16   Susquehanna - possible spring?
17   Central
18   Redlands
19   Linfield - possible spring?
20   Bridgewater
21   Hardin-Simmons
22   UW-Oshkosh
23   Bethel - no non-conference
24   Aurora
25   Brockport - possible spring?

Edited to cross Del-Val off the list as MAC cancels falls sports

GoldandBlueBU

Quote from: miac952 on July 22, 2020, 09:03:55 PM

St Johns was set to roster 220 this season. What does that look like next year with two freshman classes, and one less D3
Football power in the conference? A roster of 300?? Probable.  My guess is that roster will be frowned upon while Mac runs a roster of 40 guys out on the field and an assistant coach with tinfoil on his head live tweeting the latest conspiracies at halftime. The "kick them out" crowd will have a short leash for a 300 man roster.

I hadn't thought of that angle.  The tradition of anyone being able to be on the team who wants to might look different for season or two?

jamtod

Quote from: GoldandBlueBU on July 23, 2020, 11:59:14 AM
Quote from: miac952 on July 22, 2020, 09:03:55 PM

I hadn't thought of that angle.  The tradition of anyone being able to be on the team who wants to might look different for season or two?

I suspect there will be a ton of attrition (as you would normally find) but maybe moreso than usual from Freshman to Sophomore year if there isn't football this fall. The redshirt/5th year of eligibility is only going to be meaningful for a small handful of guys. If they are on campus and partying and not working out, a good chunk of the 220 (not the top tier that were recruited and likely to see the field) are going to move on.

OzJohnnie

Congratulations to Ben Bartch who signed a 4 year, $4 million contract with the Jags back on July 10.  I remember when I had four million greenbacks burning a hole in my pocket two months after graduating.  Those were some happy, carefree days.  I built a tree fort out of Ho-Ho's and Twinkies.  Took me three days to eat my way out.
[  

GoldandBlueBU

More detailed account of the Benson story:  https://patriotnewsmn.com/news/benson-moving-on-from-character-assassination

What an a$$ that kid's dad is...

It also seems like the  Kimball administration dropped the ball on this one with how quickly they reacted, I'm curious about the opinion of the legal minds here on if Kimball would'be been putting themselves at a greater risk of liability if they hadn't acted quickly and the accusations were true? 

MadRedFan

Didn't see this on the North Region board, but footballscoop.com is reporting:

QuoteOhio Athletic Conference (D-III): The OAC is suspending all sports activities effective immediately, Kyle Kelly tweets. The OAC is home to Mount Union, John Carroll, Baldwin Wallace, Ohio Northern, Heidelberg, Marietta, Wilmington, Muskingum, Otterbeing and Capital.

https://footballscoop.com/the-scoop/

That should be motivation for the WIAC and MIAC to have a season and get some teams in the play-offs! ;)

MUC57

Quote from: MadRedFan on July 24, 2020, 02:41:54 PM
Didn't see this on the North Region board, but footballscoop.com is reporting:

QuoteOhio Athletic Conference (D-III): The OAC is suspending all sports activities effective immediately, Kyle Kelly tweets. The OAC is home to Mount Union, John Carroll, Baldwin Wallace, Ohio Northern, Heidelberg, Marietta, Wilmington, Muskingum, Otterbeing and Capital.

https://footballscoop.com/the-scoop/

That should be motivation for the WIAC and MIAC to have a season and get some teams in the play-offs! ;)r

Hey!

I wanted to report that! Oh well, as long as the word is out! You won't have Mount Union to kick around this year. In the meantime, Go Everybody that's still out there! 🏈 🍺 😢
I'm old! I get mixed up and I forget things! Go Everybody! 🏈 ☠

repete

Quote from: GoldandBlueBU on July 24, 2020, 02:23:13 PM
More detailed account of the Benson story:  https://patriotnewsmn.com/news/benson-moving-on-from-character-assassination

What an a$$ that kid's dad is...

It also seems like the  Kimball administration dropped the ball on this one with how quickly they reacted, I'm curious about the opinion of the legal minds here on if Kimball would'be been putting themselves at a greater risk of liability if they hadn't acted quickly and the accusations were true?

Wow. Agree completely. Feel sorry for Benson ... and that kid.

No legal mind here, but wonder if Kimball has liability insurance for incidents like this.