AO

Quote from: wally_wabash on November 19, 2012, 12:57:43 PM
Quote from: lakeshore on November 19, 2012, 08:28:03 AM
Quote from: K-Mack on November 14, 2012, 08:39:18 PM
Quote from: hazzben on November 14, 2012, 11:17:39 AM
Quote from: K-Mack on November 13, 2012, 08:13:42 PM
That said, I'd be all for adding D3football.com TO THE COMMITTEE. :D

Why not?

For me, the wisdom of having Pat & Keith involved is that you would have an exceptional balance of the forest and the trees. No one knows the entire D3 map as well as them. I respect the difficult job the guys on the national committee have, and they are on that committee because they are good at what they do. But I don't know that any of them see the big picture clearly. This is where having d3football involved would make sense. Even if it was just in an advisory roll. A couple of expert, unbiased voices in the room who can answer questions and fill in gaps in the criteria. Even giving the committee members a sense of how things have gone well and poorly in the selections historically, since this committee isn't self-perpetuating. Maybe they don't have a vote, but they are their as a resource.

And you've still got regional rankings and committee members who have a strong sense of how things stack up within their own regions and conferences. As well as the criteria itself.

Seems like a nice balance. I don't know how serious you were Keith, but I wouldn't see a problem with it. Neither of you have ever struck me as the Kirk Herbstreit type, where you'd stump for the good 'ol boys.

I'd be flattered.
I'd do it.
I've never been invited, of course.
And I probably would have lobbied hard for Concordia-Moorhead. Would have liked to see UW-P too but not sure how they could have been wedged in.

Or arguably the best team in the CCIW and one of the hottest teams in the nation over the last month of the regular season in Wheaton.  I know KM chose them in his first pool C mock.  Would have been fun to watch them make a run.

I don't think Wheaton was even on the table.  The moral of the story is, as always, don't lose twice.  Or don't schedule elective games with Luther.  But mostly don't lose twice.
either that, or join the NEFC or other less difficult league and schedule easier non-conference games.

Ron Boerger

Quote from: AO on November 19, 2012, 01:08:21 PM
either that, or join the NEFC or other less difficult league and schedule easier non-conference games.

...and if you're looking for a less difficult league and money's no object, the SCAC wants YOU!      8-)

K-Mack

Quote from: HScoach on November 17, 2012, 08:51:36 PM
I don't know what Pool C has done historically, but I'm disappointed with 2-5.  I realize the Pool C teams aren't typically really high seeds, but they should be the better than the many of the AQ's from some of the weaker conferences.   I think "good"  would be 4-3 at least

I think that would be very atypical. I'd have to look back, but I think it's pretty rare for Pool C's to be above .500. Sometimes one makes a run, and this year we probably won't even have that.

All in all a mostly upset-free Round 1. The upsets by seeds weren't completely out of the realm of believability.
Former author, Around the Nation ('01-'13)
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Voter, Top 25/Play of the Week/Gagliardi Trophy/Liberty Mutual Coach of the Year
Nastradamus, Triple Take
and one of the two voices behind the sonic #d3fb nerdery that is the ATN Podcast.