BB: CCIW: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by RedmenFB44, January 05, 2006, 12:14:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigPoppa

How does Elmhurst look this year? I know they have their CCIW Player of the Year from 2006 back, but did they add anything around him that offers line-up protection?

How are the players reacting to a new coach?

Will they make a run for a CCIW tourney spot this year? One has to think that Carthage, Augustana and IWU are going to be there as they usually are, but who has a shot at the final spot?
Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

BigPoppa

BigPoppa's CCIW Predictions:

1. Carthage (automatic bid)
2. Augustana (at-large bid)
3. Illinois Wesleyan
4. Elmhurst
5. North Park
6. Millikin
7. North Central
8. Wheaton

Thoughts? Disagreements? ... or am I right on?!!

REDMENFAN

I'd say you're right on with the top 3, the next 5 is anyone's guess. I know north park was much improved last year, I can't remember what they finished in conference. Fifth seems a little high for them, but not as far fetched as it would've seemed a year ago.

BigPoppa

Quote from: REDMENFAN on January 22, 2007, 10:42:56 AM
I'd say you're right on with the top 3, the next 5 is anyone's guess. I know north park was much improved last year, I can't remember what they finished in conference. Fifth seems a little high for them, but not as far fetched as it would've seemed a year ago.

North Park was 4th last year.

REDMENFAN

Wow, I had no idea they finished that high.  I just remember watching them play at Carthage and all the "sober fans" in left field yelling non-stop at Ozzie Guillen's son when he made an error

Bob Maxwell

Big Poppa,

Carthage lost three of their starting pitchers... all look like they were pretty good.  But the good news is they only lost 2 players from an everyday lineup that hit .331 and went 34-9.

Looks like they are set up to have a good season if the young pitching comes through... have they replaced the 3 guys that they lost?

BigPoppa

Quote from: Bob Maxwell on January 22, 2007, 04:32:26 PM
Big Poppa,

Carthage lost three of their starting pitchers... all look like they were pretty good.  But the good news is they only lost 2 players from an everyday lineup that hit .331 and went 34-9.

Looks like they are set up to have a good season if the young pitching comes through... have they replaced the 3 guys that they lost?

They always lose 2-3 of their starting pitchers and they just slide another one in and tell him to get the job done. They usually do. They use their younger guys in mid-week, non-conference games to get them ready for the CCIW games the following year. It seems to be a system that works.

BigPoppa

Quote from: Bob Maxwell on January 22, 2007, 04:32:26 PM
But the good news is they only lost 2 players from an everyday lineup that hit .331 and went 34-9.

And get back two original starters that missed most of last season due to injury. Offense should not be their problem this season. If they have their typical season on the hill, they will be there in the end.

Jim Dixon

Quote from: BigPoppa on January 22, 2007, 05:56:36 PM
[They always lose 2-3 of their starting pitchers and they just slide another one in and tell him to get the job done. They usually do. They use their younger guys in mid-week, non-conference games to get them ready for the CCIW games the following year. It seems to be a system that works.

This is a tactic that is used universally through all college baseball.  Conference wins are at such a premium, you cannot send your best pitchers against a non conference opponent if they will miss a conference start. 

REDMENFAN

Carthage only lost 2 of their conference starters, and one of the guys stepping in (Jeff Livek) many felt was as good if not better than the 3 conference pitchers last season. Jacob Husing should be back at 100%, he had arm surguery before last season and pitched well, but not as well as I think he'll do this year. The top 2 spots are taken care of, hopefully someone can step in and pitch well in the 3rd spot that is open. On a side note, looks like the rocket is heading back to new york. Cano said he would gladly give up #22 for Clemens. I say Rocket, come to Milwaukee!!  ;)

Bob Maxwell

Carthage looks fairly solid in the CCIW with that much coming back... it appears to me that Augustana lost from last year will be hard to replace.  How do they look this year?

Also, Illinois Weslyan lost a lot too.

How does the rest of the conference look? 

BigPoppa

Quote from: Bob Maxwell on January 23, 2007, 01:22:05 PM
Carthage looks fairly solid in the CCIW with that much coming back... it appears to me that Augustana lost from last year will be hard to replace.  How do they look this year?

Also, Illinois Weslyan lost a lot too.

How does the rest of the conference look? 

Augustana and Illinois Wesleyan may have lost a lot, but they usually fill those spots very well. Carthage, Augustana and IWU are head and shoulders above the rest of the CCIW right now. The battle will be for 4th place as it is wide open right now. I have to think it comes down to Elmhurst or North Park.

Here is how the last 20 years played out:

1987 North Park
1988 North Central
1989 Illinois Wesleyan
1990 North Park

1991 North Central
1992 Carthage
1993 Carthage
1994 North Central
1995 Carthage

1996 North Central
1997 Elmhurst
1998 North Central
1999 Carthage
2000 Carthage

2001 Illinois Wesleyan
2002 Carthage
2003 Carthage
2004 Illinois Wesleyan
2005 Illinois Wesleyan
2006 Carthage
Seems pretty clear  that it has been dominated by Carthage- 8 titles,  North Central (6)and IWU(4). Augustana has always had solid teams, but cannot seem to get the CCIW title.

Bob Maxwell

BigPoppa,

Thanks for the History lesson on the CCIW... interesting.  I can't find the information on the SUNYAC (its in a pile somewhere around here...), but it reads something like this over the last 10 years ( I can't remember farther back... LOL):
1995 - 2003 Cortland
2004 Brockport
2005 & 2006 Cortland again...

Although both 2005 & 2006 were interesting as Oneonta was one game away from winning in 2005 (lost 2-3 & 3-14 after they ran out of pitchinng...), and Brockport was the same in 2006 (lost 5-8 & 2-4 in two good games...)

I see that Carthage will play Cortland in Port Charlotte, Florida on March 14th.  Should be an interesting early season game.

BigPoppa

Quote from: Bob Maxwell on January 25, 2007, 12:24:25 PM

I see that Carthage will play Cortland in Port Charlotte, Florida on March 14th.  Should be an interesting early season game.

Carthage/Cortland will be a great battle down south and Carthage pitching is set for their #1 to come back for his second start. I am not certain how Cortland's schedule matches up down south, but it should be a great game either way. A good trip for both teams coupled with a win in that game could vault either one of these programs into the top ten.

REDMENFAN

If I remember correctly off the top of my head, Carthage beat Cortland down in Florida last year, but lost to Wheaton Mass.  I believe both were in the top 10 at the time, and Carthage was somewhere in the top 25