BB: CCIW: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by RedmenFB44, January 05, 2006, 12:14:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigPoppa

Quote from: REDMENFAN on January 25, 2007, 01:27:57 PM
If I remember correctly off the top of my head, Carthage beat Cortland down in Florida last year, but lost to Wheaton Mass.  I believe both were in the top 10 at the time, and Carthage was somewhere in the top 25

You are correct. They beat Cortland 4-2 and lost a few days later to Wheaton (Mass) 3-2.  The Redmen went 6-4 on last year's trip, the worst record on a trip in over 15 years. They were very young last year and did not click until they came back from the southern trip.
Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

BigPoppa

If there were to be an All-Time CCIW Baseball Team, Who makes the first team? One has to think that CCIW Players of the Year are first to be nominated.

Anybody have a list of all-time greats from each CCIW school?

My guess is it would be dominated by Carthage, IWU and North Park guys with one or two North Central guys mixed in. Thoughts?

BigPoppa

Just my thoughts on the All-time Carthage team:

P- Cory Everts '90-93 (2x All-American)
P- Dan Falkingham '90-93 (2x All-American)
P- Jeff Kaeppler (0.00 ERA in 1974)
P- Ryan Taylor '94

C- John Zuleger '92-95 (2x 1st Team All-American)
1B- Mark Beyer '93-96 (1st team All-American)
2B- Ryan Lessner '97-00 (All-American)
SS- ????
3B- Dean Muthig '96-99 (2x All-American)
OF- Shorty Flees '94-97 (3x All-American)
OF- Glen Braun (NCAA Player of the Year) '96-99
OF- Gavin Winfield (All-American- also a great LHP) '94-97
OF- Jack Richarz (NCAA all-time walks leader) '92-95

Can anyone help me fill in the shortstop? It has always been to one big hole in Carthage's teams.

Gregory Sager

This is my NPU team. It strongly reflects the Park's baseball heyday, which was the 1980s. Mr. B, who is much more familiar with the past decade and a half of NPU baseball than me, might make some different choices.

P - Pete Zajac ('84-'87)
P - Alan Keller ('81-'84)
P - Dan Mason ('80-'83)
P - Tim Naughton ('79-'82)

C - Dan Casas ('90-'93)
IF - Steve Zetterlund ('85-'88)
IF - Craig King ('89-'92)
IF - Tony D'Andrea ('87-'90)
IF - Paul Biocic ('82-'85)
OF - Randy Ross ('81-'84)
OF - Brad Boelkens ('93-'96)
OF - Mark Slager ('81-'84)

You could have a strong three-way argument over the catcher's spot, since North Park had three outstanding ones during the '80s and early '90s: Scott Paulson, Gary Paulson, and Dan Casas. Scott Paulson was a three-time All-CCIW first-teamer, and Gary Paulson was a two-time All-CCIW first-teamer and the CCIW POTY in '88. But Casas combined both of the peak achievements of the Paulson brothers: He was a three-time All-CCIW first-teamer and the CCIW POTY in '92. Plus, he had to carry a couple of teams as an upperclassmen that lacked the talent of preceding seasons, whereas the Paulson brothers always had a lot of great talent surrounding them.

Randy Ross, who is arguably the greatest player in North Park baseball history, played shortstop for most of his career. However, since the Vikings have a much stronger legacy among infielders than outfielders, I moved Ross to the outfield. He played centerfield as a freshman for the Park, and was good enough at it to be an All-CCIW first-teamer at that position.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

BigPoppa

Quote from: Gregory Sager on February 02, 2007, 02:45:57 AM
This is my NPU team. It strongly reflects the Park's baseball heyday, which was the 1980s. Mr. B, who is much more familiar with the past decade and a half of NPU baseball than me, might make some different choices.

P - Pete Zajac ('84-'87)
P - Dan Mason ('80-'83)

C - Dan Casas ('90-'93)

I was a freshman at Carthage when Casas was a senior at NPU. He scared the crap out of me all year long. He was a very intimidating catcher who always seemed to get the job done. He would chirp at me while I hit... it drove me nuts! I was glad to see him graduate.

REDMENFAN

Not sure about shortstop, but if you were going to have a DH, I would certainly say Jason Lensmeyer, who was also an All-American. Defensively, I would say Fellin was good enough, but he didn't quite have the offensive numbers. That guy was a wizard with a baseball glove though

BigPoppa

http://www.muhlenberg.edu/sports/abcapoll.html

ABCA poll was released today. Carthage jumped to #8 in that one.  Let the debating begin... who is too high/low?

cubs

Quote from: BigPoppa on February 02, 2007, 04:43:42 PM
ABCA poll was released today. Carthage jumped to #8 in that one.  Let the debating begin... who is too high/low?
Even though I am a WIAC guy, I think Whitewater may be a little too high at #12.  They only lost three seniors, however there were all quality players.  Eddie Adamson was their best offensive player last season (production wise) and Keller was arguably their #1/2 pitcher.  Both these guys were 1st Team All WIAC selections.  The third senior, Nick Teach, was their starting 2B until being bit by the  injury bug.

Are they the 2nd best team in the WIAC, possibly, but they definitely are going to have to find some players to step in and replace the production they lost.
2008-09 and 2012-13 WIAC Fantasy League Champion

2008-09 WIAC Pick'Em Tri-Champion

mwunder

Quote from: BigPoppa on February 01, 2007, 03:15:07 PM
If there were to be an All-Time CCIW Baseball Team, Who makes the first team? One has to think that CCIW Players of the Year are first to be nominated.

Anybody have a list of all-time greats from each CCIW school?

My guess is it would be dominated by Carthage, IWU and North Park guys with one or two North Central guys mixed in. Thoughts?
Just taking a quick glance at the CCIW site, I think you'd have to include Rob Daggett of Elmhurst and Ken Ritter of North Central in any discussion as the only two-time CCIW players of the year.

RedmenFB44

Now that football is done I am so ready for some baseball!!! Anyone else?
It's REDMEN not RED MEN

mr_b

Quote from: Gregory Sager on February 02, 2007, 02:45:57 AM

P - Pete Zajac ('84-'87)
P - Dan Mason ('80-'83)

C - Dan Casas ('90-'93)

You could have a strong three-way argument over the catcher's spot, since North Park had three outstanding ones during the '80s and early '90s: Scott Paulson, Gary Paulson, and Dan Casas. Scott Paulson was a three-time All-CCIW first-teamer, and Gary Paulson was a two-time All-CCIW first-teamer and the CCIW POTY in '88. But Casas combined both of the peak achievements of the Paulson brothers: He was a three-time All-CCIW first-teamer and the CCIW POTY in '92. Plus, he had to carry a couple of teams as an upperclassmen that lacked the talent of preceding seasons, whereas the Paulson brothers always had a lot of great talent surrounding them.

Randy Ross, who is arguably the greatest player in North Park baseball history, played shortstop for most of his career. However, since the Vikings have a much stronger legacy among infielders than outfielders, I moved Ross to the outfield. He played centerfield as a freshman for the Park, and was good enough at it to be an All-CCIW first-teamer at that position.
All excellent choices!  I would also add three more recent All-CCIW honorees plus one player who never got all-conference recognition:

IF Cory Clark: a second-team All-CCIW player in 1999, he played just two years at North Park but put up some very solid offensive numbers.  He was probably the most effective team captain the Vikes have had over the past decade, a real leader who showed his teammates how to play the game with energy.

P Tim Dykes: also a second-team selection in 1999, he was a real competitor on the mound.  He was another natural team leader on the best four-man rotation (along with Andrew Postek, Shelly Cohen, and Joe Miller) that North Park has had in two decades.

1b/DH Curtis Tate: one of the most feared clutch hitters in the CCIW, .425 in 1999 and .362 with 10 HRs in 2000.  I also admired his quiet leadership, plus he had one of the most perceptive baseball minds of any player I've seen in my years at North Park.

P Jeff Hanson: a quality pitcher on some very bad teams.  He holds many of the school's pitching records, including IP and strikeouts.  He was a true workhorse in the same mold as Tim Dykes -- give him the ball every week and he'd go out and give you a quality effort every time. 

I'd bet that any coach in the CCIW would have loved having these four players on their teams -- they were  leaders on and off the field and really understood the game and all its nuances.

There are a few other recent players that would have a shot at the "all-time North Park team," but I don't want to crowd the dugout!

knarocky22

Augie lost their top pitcher, but their 2 and 3 are back.  Word is they have some pretty solid young arms.  They are also getting their catcher from a couple years ago back who missed last year.  He was first team all-region his junior year.  They might have the best team speed of any team in the conference, and their outfield might be the best in the conference as well.  I'd look for Augie to challenge Carthage for the title.

Also heard that Cummings left IWU.

Titan Q

Quote from: knarocky22 on February 12, 2007, 11:25:06 PM
Augie lost their top pitcher, but their 2 and 3 are back.  Word is they have some pretty solid young arms.  They are also getting their catcher from a couple years ago back who missed last year.  He was first team all-region his junior year.  They might have the best team speed of any team in the conference, and their outfield might be the best in the conference as well.  I'd look for Augie to challenge Carthage for the title.

Rob Cummings is now a Gaucho, at UC-Santa Barbara.  On a day like today - with a blizzard that has all of B-N shutdown - I can't blame the kid!

http://ucsbgauchos.cstv.com/sports/m-basebl/mtt/cummings_robby00.html

Jim Dixon

Quote from: Titan Q on February 13, 2007, 11:44:38 AM

Rob Cummings is now a Gaucho, at UC-Santa Barbara.  On a day like today - with a blizzard that has all of B-N shutdown - I can't blame the kid!

Now that is good news. 

UCSB -84

BigPoppa

Quote from: Titan Q on February 13, 2007, 11:44:38 AM

Anybody leaving the CCIW(especially IWU) for the warmer weather of Southern California is great news for Carthage fans!!!