FB: Empire 8

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 04:58:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ECoastFootball

Quote from: Bombers798891 on October 15, 2014, 10:34:33 AM
I think Fisher ... [will sneak out] a Pool C bid, resulting in them being overlooked and winning two playoff games.

I agree with everything you said except this. Given Fisher's recent success, there is no team in the country that would overlook a 9-1 SJF team, regardless of whether or not they are in as a Pool C team. I still think they will win at least one game as a Pool C , but not because they were overlooked.

sjfcards

Quote from: ECoastFootball on October 15, 2014, 10:44:24 AM
I think Fisher ... [will sneak out] a Pool C bid, resulting in them being overlooked and winning two playoff games.

I agree with everything you said except this. Given Fisher's recent success, there is no team in the country that would overlook a 9-1 SJF team, regardless of whether or not they are in as a Pool C team. I still think they will win at least one game as a Pool C , but not because they were overlooked.

If things shake out this way, it would be a totally different playoff entrance for Fisher than the previous 2 trips. In each of the last two trips to the NCAA for Fisher they snuck in with 2 losses and had to go on the road and 'upset' higher seeds (JCU and Hobart last year, Johns Hopkins and Del Val a few years back).

If Fisher gets a pool C with a 9-1 record and their only loss coming in overtime to a Salisbury team that is 8-2, the E8 AQ, and only has losses to Wesley and a 2 loss Buff State team, I would guess Fisher would be a much higher seed and may get a home game or two. That resume would look much more like the 2006 version of Fisher that was 9-1 with its only loss coming to a really good option team in the middle of the season. That year I think Fisher was a 2 seed, and played home against Union, at Springfield, and home against Rowan before facing UMU.

Playing lower seeds at home would contribute more to wins in the tournament than any overlooking by others.
GO FISHER!!!

fisheralum91

Cards- that 2006 run was epic.
Having those home games before having to travel to Alliance were things of beauty!
I still remember the Rowan fans piling in with the "Beast of the East" moniker on their attire.....

D3MAFAN

Quote from: sjfcards on October 15, 2014, 11:10:24 AM

If things shake out this way, it would be a totally different playoff entrance for Fisher than the previous 2 trips. In each of the last two trips to the NCAA for Fisher they snuck in with 2 losses and had to go on the road and 'upset' higher seeds (JCU and Hobart last year, Johns Hopkins and Del Val a few years back).

If Fisher gets a pool C with a 9-1 record and their only loss coming in overtime to a Salisbury team that is 8-2, the E8 AQ, and only has losses to Wesley and a 2 loss Buff State team, I would guess Fisher would be a much higher seed and may get a home game or two. That resume would look much more like the 2006 version of Fisher that was 9-1 with its only loss coming to a really good option team in the middle of the season. That year I think Fisher was a 2 seed, and played home against Union, at Springfield, and home against Rowan before facing UMU.

Playing lower seeds at home would contribute more to wins in the tournament than any overlooking by others.

What are the chances that the E8 would get three teams?

jknezek

Quote from: D3MAFAN-MG on October 15, 2014, 11:20:27 AM
Quote from: sjfcards on October 15, 2014, 11:10:24 AM

almost 0

boobyhasgameyo

We are the only conference to ever get 3 bids in one postseason.  With the downsizing of pool C bids it will probably never happen again.  Not to mention the fact I think Fisher was the only team of the 3 to advance that year. 

Bombers798891

Quote from: D3MAFAN-MG on October 15, 2014, 11:20:27 AM

No shot, IMO. Not enough Pool C bids, and two-loss at large's are exceedingly rare. Additionally, I think the biggest difference between 2007's three-bid conference and this year's conference is that in 2007, you had a team that was considered to be one of the elite teams in the country. Fisher was ranked 5th in this poll at the end of the regular season that year, which did two things:

1. It made them a no-brainer, slam-dunk pick for a Pool C at 9-1
2. It gave the Hartwick a great win, which made them look better than they were
3. These two things made Ithaca's losses not that bad

This year, we don't have that. Fisher's ranked, but a few clear steps below the elite. Salisbury lost all hope to be perceived as an elite team when Wesley tore them apart Ithaca and Buff State may wind up ranked, but no one's thinking of them as great.

sjfcards

Quote from: fisheralum91 on October 15, 2014, 11:19:20 AM
Having those home games before having to travel to Alliance were things of beauty!
I still remember the Rowan fans piling in with the "Beast of the East" moniker on their attire.....

That Rowan game is still my favorite Fisher win of all time. I remember the crowd was just different than a typical Fisher game. I know it was a regional final, but I have been to plenty of big/playoff games at Fisher where peoole sit on their hands and cheer very little. Despite the cold that crowd was loud and locked into the game from the start, and that Jimmy Smith return for a touchdown to open the scoring was as excited as I have ever gotten as a football fan.

Sadly, I agree that the chances of three teams ever getting in again is probably slim to none. The only way I ever see any conference getting three in again is if it is a conference with one of the monsters and three teams end up with 1 loss each, all to each other and that top program sides not get the AQ in the tiebreaker.
GO FISHER!!!

fisheralum91

Funny you mention that play with Jimmy.
His dad was an adjunct faculty member for me at the time and I thought he was going to lose his marbles!!!!

sjfcards

Quote from: fisheralum91 on October 15, 2014, 02:09:02 PM
Funny you mention that play with Jimmy.
His dad was an adjunct faculty member for me at the time and I thought he was going to lose his marbles!!!!

Can't say I blame him. There was an awesome picture of him beating the last defender on Fisher's webpage after the game. That was the background on my PC for a long time.
GO FISHER!!!

AUPepBand

What Rowan fans? Pep was at that game and there may have been SIX (count 'em!) Rowan fans at the game (at least that's what Pep saw in those little bleachers behind their team). Perhaps there were more there on the Fisher side that Pep failed to see.

What a boring game. Rowan brought nothing that day. Absolutely nothing.

On Saxon Warriors!
On Saxon Warriors! On to Victory!
...Fight, fight for Alfred, A-L-F, R-E-D!

fisheralum91

I remember at least 8 that walked by the  "Doctors" yelling at us talking about what a wast of time it was to drive all the way up here simply to watch their team steamroll Fisher........

sjfcards

Quote from: AUPepBand on October 15, 2014, 03:21:51 PM

What Rowan fans? Pep was at that game and there may have been SIX (count 'em!) Rowan fans at the game (at least that's what Pep saw in those little bleachers behind their team). Perhaps there were more there on the Fisher side that Pep failed to see.

On Saxon Warriors!

I understand the boring part for you. If I went to an AU game in a similar situation I would want to see a tight game. As a Fisher fan on that day, a blowout was a welcome outcome.
GO FISHER!!!

AUPepBand

Quote from: sjfcards on October 15, 2014, 03:48:09 PM
Quote from: AUPepBand on October 15, 2014, 03:21:51 PM

On Saxon Warriors!

I understand the boring part for you. If I went to an AU game in a similar situation I would want to see a tight game. As a Fisher fan on that day, a blowout was a welcome outcome.

Pep is thinking that was the day that he and KaZ00 wolfed down a garbage plate at Fairport Hots after da game.
While Pep is serving a "life sentence" in Alfred, he's always happy about the time off for good behavior that avails him an occasional trip to Rachacha.
Pep was up Friday night and hit Chipotle before seeing Gone Girl at Tinseltown with Pep Junior, followed by a stop at Timmy Ho's.....

On Saxon Warriors! On to Victory!
...Fight, fight for Alfred, A-L-F, R-E-D!

fisheralum91

Weather for the Fisher - UC game

Sat
Oct 18
Showers 57°
40°
Showers
CHANCE OF RAIN:
60%

WIND:
WSW at 15 mph

Not horrible- but wet...
For those stopping out-enjoy and stay dry---heck stop by ole fa91's tent and have a beer!