WBB: American Southwest Conference

Started by Pat Coleman, March 17, 2005, 02:27:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hsufan

Not the ending to our run that we were hoping for but it was a respectable showing.  Couldn't really buy a bucket today but played great defense.  Cowgirls will be back next year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

calhsu

Very bad game for the Cowgirls.   Maybe one 3 pt  shot for them,  Scranton had several.  Horrible free throw %  
I really didn't like the officals calls but that was not why they lost.

It was a big show that they need more experience to win games at.   HSU still has not beat teams from the east.  They won the south and west but as Ralph always points out you need lots of muscle to play with the big girls up north.

I am very glad to have actually got to see the girls in person after all these years.  When I come to Abilene in October I hope to shake hands with at least the coach.

inthepaint

Simply making the tournament is a huge accomplishment for any team.  Winning any games in that national tournament is a bigger accomplishment.  Getting to the Final Four is something most teams will never experience! 

I heard someone on an ESPN Radio call in show describe teams that consistently make the tournament but not winning as "over rated."  Truth be told, simply making the tournment on a consistent basis is an indication that the program is healthy and superior to most.  The national tournament is a tough road!  The road to the Final Four is a very difficult one. 

An end-of-season congratulations to McMurry Lady Indians, Howard Payne Lady Jackets and the Hardin Simmons CowgirlsWhat a terrific year!

Ralph Turner

I have a request for Jungle on his radio show!

Please dedicate an entire radio show to your observation in Springfield.

Please cover the subjects:

--Springfield and Hall of Fame
--the other teams you saw.  Physical make-up, tempo, ball-handling, inside game, size, strength, depth, etc.
--the refereeing at that level...styles?  characteristics?  etc.
--How much better were Hope and USM?
--What does the ASC need to do to get back to the Final Four and win this time?

Please give us the hyperlink when you record the show, jungle!

I think that you put a curse on HSU when you acknowledged that you were secretly rooting for them.  If that was Machiavellian brilliance on your part, then mission accomplished.  :D ;D :D ;D :D ;) 8)

Oops, I apologize.  Thou shalt not commit Schadenfreude!  :D

Only 7 more months to hoops season again! ;)

mcmfan

Having been out of town for a week, and without access to a computer, it is interesting now reading all the comments since my last post.  I'd just like some clarification from a comment that hsufan made at the start of the week.

1. The McM fans cheered ETBU when they beat HSU in the first ASC tournament sectional.  Why is this a big deal?  I remember back in 2000 when we at McM hosted a visiting team in the playoffs and HSU had a bye, the HSU players actually driving across town to McM to cheer the team we were playing.  That seems to be part of the rivalry between the two schools, and something both teams have done when they've had the chance.  It doesn't seem to prevent a lot of respect between the players of the two teams outside heated game situations.

2. Coach Nichols didn't shake the hands of the HSU girls after that ETBU-HSU game.  Maybe I don't understand basketball ediquette, but since he was simply watching the game and not one of the actual coaches involved in playing it, why should he shake their hands?  At the HPU-Trinity game at McM, I saw both coaches Briggs and Nichols in the audience, scoping out the two teams.  I didn't stay for the end; but did either of them shake the hands of the players of the losing team?
Alacumba!

dsc

Quote from: hsufan link=topic=1526.msg508444#ms

Or after the sub-sectional game, Coach Nichols heading to the locker room without shaking the HSU girls hands?

quote]
mcmfan,

I believe hsufan was talking about the game between McM and HSU...when he mentioned the above incident.  I wasn't there, but when I read his comment, I took it this way.

...and I agree, it is NOT a big deal when members of a third team cheer another team's loss, that is a distinct rival...such as most all of the Texas teams are!!! :D

Congrats to all the Basketball Teams...it was a great year...and next year will only be better! 8)
HARDIN-SIMMONS UNIVERSITY: AN EDUCATION ENLIGHTENED BY FAITH.

inthepaint

I completely agree that it is no big deal nor a problem at all for a spectator team to be cheering for a particular team or against another team.  McM obviously hoped to meet ETBU and not HSU in a future game.  There is an old expression, "It's lonely at the top," and that certainly applies in basketball.

As to a basketball coach not shaking the hands of the players of an opposing team, that is complete nonsense and indicates a real absence of personal integrity.  A few years ago when HPU played HSU in Abilene, HPU nearly pulled off an upset, losing by two.  Handshakes were not exchanged between a head coach and the opposing team.  It was a ridiculous end to an exciting, well-played game.

There is a huge difference between a competitive spirit, displayed in cheering against a particular team, and childish pouting, displayed in a refusal to shake the hands of an opposing team.

Josh Bowerman

Quote from: Ralph Turner on March 19, 2006, 10:52:05 PM
I have a request for Jungle on his radio show!
--Springfield and Hall of Fame
--the other teams you saw.  Physical make-up, tempo, ball-handling, inside game, size, strength, depth, etc.
--the refereeing at that level...styles?  characteristics?  etc.
--How much better were Hope and USM?
--What does the ASC need to do to get back to the Final Four and win this time?

I can give you my take, Ralph, FWIW:

*   I didn't have time to see the "new" HOF.  The original HOF was on the Springfield campus, but there are very, very few traces of it left on campus.  The original building is still there, but it's being used as classroom space for SC's Allied Health studies program.  The only original pieces left have been moved to Blake Arena, and are comprised of 6-8 stained glass pieces paying homage to basketball pioneers, including Dr. Naismith.

*   I didn't see a big difference in size or quickness between the HSU players and the other teams.  The post players from the other teams tended to be a hair quicker and were probably better ball handlers than HSU's, but HSU was certainly in the same league as the other teams.  The other teams were deeper on the bench, though.  Hope, Scranton and USM all were able to get more consistent minutes (and scoring) out of their bench than HSU was (at least this weekend).  Plus, the other three teams were more experienced at this level--which is an intangible you can't really quantify, but is noticable and invaluable nonetheless (ask the Arkansas Razorbacks, hehehe   ;)

*   The officiating was pretty good, IMO.  The zebras let the girls play, and called fouls when they needed to.  Of course, there will always be people that question the calls, but outside of a VERY few questionable whistles--which had no real noticable impact on the final outcomes--I'd give the stripes a 'A' overall.  Nice job by those folks.

*   I don't know how HSU would have fared against Hope, but I can tell you that they (meaning Hope) would be a strong contender in the Division I Patriot League I've been covering.  They match up well size and quickness-wise with those girls.  I also think they were clearly A) the hottest, B) the best, or C) all of the above team out of the four.  The Dutch really deserve the title, IMO.

HSU played USM tight, especially in the second half.  Had HSU been able to put together a better first half, it could very easily have been HSU against Hope in the finals.  The second half the Cowgirls put up against USM was some of the best women's hoops I've seen in awhile.  On the other hand, HSU never really got in sync against Scranton.  Could be the letdown, could be all the travel and fatigue, could just be that Scranton was simply a superior team.  I don't know, but they just looked lethargic the whole game.  I'm not sure the margin between Scranton and USM and HSU is all that much, and that given 10 games each against each other, all the teams wouldn't have a .500 record.

*   I think, moving forward, the ASC can, and will get back to the Final Four.  One of the inheirent disadvantages we're going to face, however, is the lack of "outside" competition until the sectional round, i.e. when there are three teams from the same conference and Trinity--who I think all three teams had played in the regular season, but might be wrong.  It would seem that there's not a noticable difference in styles, size, quickness or athleticism from what these girls see in the regular season to really help ASC teams "step it up" in the sectionals.  If our schools can play some tougher (or at least non-south central US) non-conference opponents, I think it would really serve to get these girls more mentally prepared for these rounds.

That, and more experience on the "big stage", is what will help an ASC team get back to the Final Four and win next time.

I know you asked George, but that's my take on the weekend.  It was a lot of fun being there, and I hope everyone checks out the photo galleries, which are up and running. 

It was also really neat to see Shanna Briggs on the sidelines for HSU.  Shanna and I were both at HSU at the same time, and both basketball players (she much better than I).  It made me nostalgic for the old times and made me wonder about what's happened to my old basketball friends--men's and women's--since graduation.  I'm happy that Shanna has been able to build on the solid foundation she inheirited, and will look forward to (hopefully) many more successful years with her at the helm of the Cowgirls program.
"Without struggle, there is no progress."--Frederick Douglass

dsc

Quote from: inthepaint on March 20, 2006, 08:45:40 AM

There is an old expression, "It's lonely at the top," and that certainly applies in basketball.

Another "old" expression that Marines use:  "It's not bragging, if it is the truth!" ;D

dsc

Josh Bowerman

Quote from: inthepaint on March 20, 2006, 08:45:40 AMAs to a basketball coach not shaking the hands of the players of an opposing team, that is complete nonsense and indicates a real absence of personal integrity.  A few years ago when HPU played HSU in Abilene, HPU nearly pulled off an upset, losing by two.  Handshakes were not exchanged between a head coach and the opposing team.  It was a ridiculous end to an exciting, well-played game.  

Agreed, but I know Coach Nichols to be (personally) a pretty decent guy.  And, while I didn't see what happened, I hope that he doesn't get pigeon-holed based on one particular thing, but rather everyone can respect the aggregate of his contributions to the McM community.  

Looking back, I would imagine that he'd do it differently if he could do it again.  Even as a HSU fan, I can respect the program he's been able to build over on South 14th.
"Without struggle, there is no progress."--Frederick Douglass

Ralph Turner

Josh, thanks for the posting!  I am glad that you answered the request.

fanstand

I didn't see what happened, but I bet Coach Nichols shook Coach Briggs hand, and while the HSU girls were celebrating after the win, he probably headed to the locker room, not really thinking about it. The girls probably took longer than normal during their celebration, I doubt it was anything meant towards the players. But like I said I really wasn't paying attention.

Ralph Turner

Congratulations to Tarra Richardson, 2nd team All-American Center...only one of 3 sophomores named.

http://www.d3hoops.com/tow/06/womallam06.htm

inthepaint

The All-American selections remind me of the value of a well-blanced team.  HSU was able to control Randolph-Macon's Player of the Year, Megan Silva, and advance to the Final Four!  HSU has had their share of incredible players in recent years and went farther without such talent this year than in any previous season! 

I'm already looking forward to next season!  :o