MBB: Great South Athletic Conference

Started by william burton, May 21, 2005, 11:48:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Warren Haynes

William, I think he entered the NBA draft.

william burton

william burton

You Maryville guys are disappointing me...

I am trying to keep a lively discussion going on here and you let me down!

scottiedoug

William:  I was trying to stick to what I know as factual but that is not exciting, so I will engage in rumor-mongering.  I think I heard that Kyle was finding the academic requirements to be a big adjustment....  

I do see that two guys who were hurt all last year and who were slated to contribute a lot are back (Greg Martin and Jonathan Johnson).

Breakout et al:  You usually know things...what is up on campus?

scottiedoug

The Maryville newspaper says Lambert has recruited a freshman point from Miami...he was hurt much of his senior year but was all (some) District as a junior.  Lambert was quoted as saying he is quick and likes up-tempo ball.  Maybe he ate the same food as Placeres down there.  Don't know if Bo Mason will play point too, although that is how he is listed on the roster, but with his ability to shoot it would be good if someone else could run the team.  How's that, William..."real" information!

wilburt

Getting used to this new posting system from Pat Coleman...

Now that is some "real news" Doug!  Any reports from Piedmont or LaGrange?
Fisk University: Founded by Missionaries, Saved by Students.

Six time SIAC Football Champions 1913, 1915, 1919, 1923, 1973 and 1975.

Six NFL draft picks and one Pro Bowler!

wilburt

scottiedoug

Thanks, William.   Looks like Pres. O'Leary is putting some of her connections to good use.

wilburt

Thanks Doug, it's great to have some good news about FISK.  But tell me more about Rashard.  Is he expected to see a lot of time or even start?   

How did Lambert get a pipeline to Miami?  That's a far cry from East Tennessee. First Doan, then Placeres now Rashard...

scottiedoug

William:  I do not know the answers to any of your good questions.  I do know that MC has active alums in Florida and I suspect that the first ones from an area are the hardest...if kids have a good experience at MC, word gets around.  Also, several football recruits are from Florida.

There are no obvious point guards (other than Bo Mason) on the roster and I know Randy was really after a player from Knoxville who would have been a great point guard...he was not able to swing the finances and went somewhere in NAIA with scholarship money.

Maryville has a home and home with Methodist, which seems to be the team to beat in the USA South.   Is Fisk playing Christopher-Newport up there again?  I am sure C-N won't visit Nashville!

Ralph Turner

There is an unsubstantiated report that Tuesday pm's 1.6 (Richter scale) micro-earthquake at Sweetwater TN was not due to the Maryville men's basketball team's lifting weights in the off-season.

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/recenteqsUS/Quakes/sehwb0823b.htm

Only 51 days and counting... :)

scottiedoug

With what I understand about Murvul's football coach, however, it could have been whatever he does to the team as they prepare to indicate what they think of being projected last in their new USA South conference!

wilburt

Doug I think all DIII basketball coaches lose recruits to NAIA schools fairly frequently.  I'm sure Coach Haynes could elaborate more on that. It is just the nature of the beast...

As for playing CNU, I don't know yet.  CNU nor Fisk has released it schedule yet.   But I don't envy the players with that 12 hour bus ride from Nashville to SE Virginia they had to do last year, despite the generous guarantee that CNU provides!    But from what I hear, CNU has some of the nicest basketball facilities in DIII land.

coachwgh

William,
I could elaborate on it but that would only ruin my Friday.  We are happy with our 13 returners and 6 new guys.  Someday I think they will pan out to be above average.  Freshman move in on the 30th, classes start on the 7th and practice starts on the 8th. 

wilburt

I see that FISK will be playing 4-time ODAC champion Randolph-Macon (RMC) on the road (Ashland, Virginia) in RMC's Rees Jewelers Christmas Classic 12-29 and 12-30.  IMHO, everyone must be returning to the Bulldog team and Dr. Glover must think the Bulldogs have a shot at an NCAA tourney bid in order to schedule RMC in an X-mas Tourney like that.  Anything the Bulldogs need to lookout for traveling into ODAC territory this winter Breakout? 

Here's the schedule: 

REES JEWELERS CHRISTMAS CLASSIC

29 Kenyon College (OH) vs. Farmingdale State University (NY)
ASHLAND 6:00 p.m.
29 Fisk University (TN) vs. Randolph-Macon College (VA)
ASHLAND 8:00 p.m.

30 Consolation Game
ASHLAND 6:00 p.m.
30 Championship Game
ASHLAND 8:00 p.m.