Pool C -- 2011

Started by Ralph Turner, October 09, 2011, 04:31:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hazzben

Quote from: 218Tommie on October 10, 2011, 09:31:11 AM
There is a lot of intrigue this year for pool c teams...One thing I'm trying to figure out is what if St. Thomas and the Oles both win out? Where does that leave Bethel (if they beat Augsburg). Would Bethel stay home with the 2 losses against good teams. Just trying to figure this out because I see them as a top 15 team that needs to figure their secondary out a little bit. But, only time will tell.
Quote from: Ralph Turner on October 10, 2011, 11:01:58 AM
Quote from: 218Tommie on October 10, 2011, 09:31:11 AM
There is a lot of intrigue this year for pool c teams...One thing I'm trying to figure out is what if St. Thomas and the Oles both win out? Where does that leave Bethel (if they beat Augsburg). Would Bethel stay home with the 2 losses against good teams. Just trying to figure this out because I see them as a top 15 team that needs to figure their secondary out a little bit. But, only time will tell.
I think that UW-Oshkosh with only one in-region loss (UWW) and a non-region loss (UMU) would trump Bethel.

If UWO and Bethel were both 8-2, Oshkosh probably gets the nod. That said, there's a ton of football left. Bethel still plays UST and St. Olaf still has Concordia Moorhead, Carleton (rivalry game), SJU and Augsburg. UWO still has the rest of your typical WIAC schedule to navigate: UWP; UWW and UWL.

There's just a ton of season left to play. Bethel still controls their destiny for the most part. If they win out and only finish with 1 loss I think they'll get in. If they drop the UST game, they'd need a lot of things to break the right way for them. Not to mention 1 conference getting 3 teams into the dance has only happened once before.

That said, it seems like it's shaping up to be an exciting second half of the season.

218Tommie

Hazzben, completely agree with you. The next few weeks will help clear this up. I don't see the MIAC getting 3 teams in the field, but I also have a hard time seeing UWO going 8-2 in the WIAC due to the depth of the conference and every team is solid. Although it would be nice having 3 MIAC schools make it.

HSC85

Ralph,

I think that you are correct about the South.  With Salisbury being an East team, the conferences that have supplied Pool C in the past do not have the strength this year.  Last year the ODAC got a Pool C when HSU lost on the last weekend.  This year there is no chance due to the fact that both W&L, Randolph Macon, Emory and Henry and Hampden Sydney all have one loss and they must play each other.  I don't think the second place team can finish with only one loss.  The ASC and the SCAC appear to be capable of delivering a one D3 loss to compete with other regions. 

Thanks for getting the conversation started.

Bill McCabe

Ralph,  Will there be any impact on McMurry playing SFA and UTSA when it comes to a Pool C bid?

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Bill McCabe on October 12, 2011, 02:04:08 PM
Ralph,  Will there be any impact on McMurry playing SFA and UTSA when it comes to a Pool C bid?
Those games do not help very much.  Any consideration will be as "Secondary Criteria".

I think that the D-III record of 7-1 with a one-point road loss (margin of victory and home versus road are not criteria) top UMHB will be a good resume.

PA_wesleyfan

Ralph
   What do you see happening in pool C with only one pool B beign handed out., If Wesley wins out they probaby have the best resume because of the head to head with Huntingdon. But Case Western still has a chance at having one loss.. I know there are games left and things will sort out. But won't it be hard to give a two loss pool C over a pool B 1 loss team!!
Football !!! The ultimate team sport. Anyone who plays DIII football is a winner...

Ralph Turner

Quote from: PA_wesleyfan on October 13, 2011, 05:49:47 PM
Ralph
   What do you see happening in pool C with only one pool B beign handed out., If Wesley wins out they probaby have the best resume because of the head to head with Huntingdon. But Case Western still has a chance at having one loss.. I know there are games left and things will sort out. But won't it be hard to give a two loss pool C over a pool B 1 loss team!!
We have 6 Pool C bids, and I think that we will have a hard time sorting them out.

The winner of the Wesley-Huntingdon game gets the Pool B bid, IMHO. The loser will have 2 in-region losses, not good!  I am not sure where CWRU lands in this.

We will get a much better look at the odds for Pool C when the Regional Rankings come out on Wednesday November 2nd.  There are 3 strong West Region Pool C contenders, one from the South, and maybe 2; two from the East and 2 from the north.

Ron Boerger

Quote from: Ralph Turner on October 13, 2011, 06:15:19 PM
We have 6 Pool C bids, and I think that we will have a hard time sorting them out.

The winner of the Wesley-Huntingdon game gets the Pool B bid, IMHO. The loser will have 2 in-region losses, not good!  I am not sure where CWRU lands in this.

We will get a much better look at the odds for Pool C when the Regional Rankings come out on Wednesday November 2nd.  There are 3 strong West Region Pool C contenders, one from the South, and maybe 2; two from the East and 2 from the north.

And should Huntingdon lose at Trinity, then defeat Wesley, you'd have two Pool B teams with 2 in-region losses.    Unlikely but a possibility, nonetheless. 

HSC85

Wesley also has to play Salisbury.  That will further boost their resume.

PA_wesleyfan

Might be real hard to justify either getting in as the pool B with 2 losses and neither gets in as C with 2 losses IMHO
Football !!! The ultimate team sport. Anyone who plays DIII football is a winner...

USee

There could be a scenario in the CCIW that gives 3 teams a chance to get in. If IWU loses to NCC this week and then Wheaton beats  NCC we would have a 3 way tie atop the CCIW. If NCC wins the tiebreaker (which starts with point differential between the 3 teams) then IWU and Wheaton are sitting with 9-1 records. IWU gets the nod based on nth but both would be strong candidates.

Ron Boerger

Speaking of Pool C ... isn't it about time for the strength of schedule rankings to make their annual appearance?  ;)

The SCAC picture for Pool C took its first step towards resolution with Centre dropping Birmingham-Southern into the ranks of one-loss teams.  Trinity stayed undefeated (likely knocking Huntingdon out of the Pool B race in the process) but still await both BSC (two weeks) and Centre (three) at home.   They also get a long roadie to LaGrange next week. Millsaps, while out of the Pool C conversation, will have something to say about SCAC pool C possibilities as they also get both Centre (two weeks, home) and BSC (away, week 11).  Even with three losses, Millsaps can still get a piece of the SCAC championship if they win out and Trinity loses one game. 

Centre (6-0):  SEW, @MILL, @TRIN,  RHOD
Trinity (6-0):  @LAGR, BSC, CENT, @AUST
BSC (5-1):  bye, @TRIN,  RHOD, MILL

I also did not realize that BSC only had nine games this year, one of which (against Ave Maria) was not a D3 game.   A 7-1 in-region best possible showing drops them behind a lot of other teams w/9-1 or 8-1 possibilities, and if they and McMurry end up 7-1, McMurry probably comes out ahead given their strong performance in the one loss to UMHB. 

EDIT: SOS figures are available; the link on the D3FB front page hasn't been updated.  They can be found here.

Bill McCabe

Ron, do you think there could be a Trinity-McMurry first round game, if they both win out?

Pat Coleman

Quote from: Ron Boerger on October 16, 2011, 10:10:14 AM
Speaking of Pool C ... isn't it about time for the strength of schedule rankings to make their annual appearance?  ;)

The SCAC picture for Pool C took its first step towards resolution with Centre dropping Birmingham-Southern into the ranks of one-loss teams.  Trinity stayed undefeated (likely knocking Huntingdon out of the Pool B race in the process) but still await both BSC (two weeks) and Centre (three) at home.   They also get a long roadie to LaGrange next week. Millsaps, while out of the Pool C conversation, will have something to say about SCAC pool C possibilities as they also get both Centre (two weeks, home) and BSC (away, week 11).  Even with three losses, Millsaps can still get a piece of the SCAC championship if they win out and Trinity loses one game. 

Centre (6-0):  SEW, @MILL, @TRIN,  RHOD
Trinity (6-0):  @LAGR, BSC, CENT, @AUST
BSC (5-1):  bye, @TRIN,  RHOD, MILL

I also did not realize that BSC only had nine games this year, one of which (against Ave Maria) was not a D3 game.   A 7-1 in-region best possible showing drops them behind a lot of other teams w/9-1 or 8-1 possibilities, and if they and McMurry end up 7-1, McMurry probably comes out ahead given their strong performance in the one loss to UMHB. 

EDIT: SOS figures are available; the link on the D3FB front page hasn't been updated.  They can be found here.

Thanks for doing some digging. I was thinking about this in the car on the way home from my game yesterday. Glad it's that simple. :)
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Ron Boerger

Quote from: Bill McCabe on October 16, 2011, 11:14:29 AM
Ron, do you think there could be a Trinity-McMurry first round game, if they both win out?

If McM can get a bid with a 7-1 IRR and Trinity can win out, this would almost certainly be a pairing the NCAA would choose.  The AA doesn't like rematching conference opponents in the first round, and we all know they throw seeds out when they can save travel dollars.   Trinity probably gets the home field due to better overall record and surprisingly good SOS (50th right now and play two opponents with one current loss between them, should offset playing winless Austin and sub-.500 LaGrange).  UMHB should be the top seed and get someone flown into Belton. 

That said, Centre is playing very well and had surprisingly little trouble with BSC on the road.  Trinity has to be on the top of their game and keep winning the turnover battle to have an undefeated regular season... +4 against Huntingdon, two of which were in the TU red zone, two of which provided starting position in the HC red zone, made all the difference on Saturday.