MBB: Old Dominion Athletic Conference

Started by steelyglen, February 15, 2005, 09:11:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

FYI: https://twitter.com/d3hoopsville/status/891033018017755136

From Hoopsville:
"BREAKING - Sources: W&L to hire Emory asst coach Chris McHugh '09 as next MBB head coach. Official announcement expected next week. #d3h"
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

More news out of the ODAC, this time Guilford: http://www.greensboro.com/sports/college/nelson-bobb-hired-as-interim-athletics-director-at-guilford/article_aebe4642-932e-11e7-bd70-6fe28932e58d.html

I am told this decision to get rid of the dual role for Tom Palombo (have him only focus on basketball) was part of the reason he was interested in the W&L job. It is a bit more complicated, but Guilford still loves Palombo from what I am told. They just wanted him to focus only on basketball and have someone else focus on the AD position. The dual role is far less common than it used to be, but there are still some like at DeSales, Albright, Juniata that exist.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

hasanova

Speaking of Guilford, men's hoops schedule posted:

13 home and 12 away
Home tournament vs Concordia, TX and Huntingdon (former Quakers Kimbrough and Strong return)
Away tournament vs North Park and host Transylvania
Away vs Greensboro and Emory
Home vs Averett, Methodist and Skidmore

In ODAC,
Home and away vs W&L, BC, E&H, VWC and LC
At RMC, Roanoke and EMU
Home with Randolph, HSC and SU

y_jack_lok

^^^ Several quality non-conference opponents there -- Emory, North Park (18-8 last season and took 2 of 3 vs Augustana), Transylvania.

R-MC posted it's schedule a few weeks ago. Non conf vs CNU, Ramapo, Marymount or SUNY Geneseo, Ferrum, Misericordia, Juniata or St. Joseph (VT), Mary Washington, Frostburg State, Rowan or Hobart. ODAC -- twice vs SU, Randolph, W&L, H-SC, E&H; once vs Roanoke, GC, EMU, BC, VWU, LC.

hasanova

Quote from: y_jack_lok on September 25, 2017, 11:00:49 AM
^^^ Several quality non-conference opponents there -- Emory, North Park (18-8 last season and took 2 of 3 vs Augustana), Transylvania.

R-MC posted it's schedule a few weeks ago. Non conf vs CNU, Ramapo, Marymount or SUNY Geneseo, Ferrum, Misericordia, Juniata or St. Joseph (VT), Mary Washington, Frostburg State, Rowan or Hobart. ODAC -- twice vs SU, Randolph, W&L, H-SC, E&H; once vs Roanoke, GC, EMU, BC, VWU, LC.
I also looked up the records of GC's opponents.  I agree, a formidable ooc schedule.  Always worried about RMC, especially in Ashland!

jknezek

I don't really keep up with basketball but I will note that W&L's schedule includes a trip to Puerto Rico where they play Carthage and Cortland.

http://generalssports.com/sports/mbkb/2017-18/schedule

Coach McHugh, W&L '09, is taking on his first head coaching position.

y_jack_lok

^^^ You should definitely start keeping up with basketball. Your skills at analyzing football would easily transfer to hoops. Not as many players or positions to keep up with  :).

jknezek

Quote from: y_jack_lok on September 26, 2017, 12:55:57 PM
^^^ You should definitely start keeping up with basketball. Your skills at analyzing football would easily transfer to hoops. Not as many players or positions to keep up with  :).

Thanks. But my problem is I simply have very little interest (read: none) in basketball. Growing up in NJ, I never had a college team. My dad never watched the NBA the way we watched other sports. Reporting on first my h.s. team, and then W&L, as a student reporter was extremely painful in both cases (my h.s. team and W&L suffered through seasons of less than 3 wins), and I only played one year in a rec league when I was about 9.

So I literally have never been interested in basketball. My entire thought process about basketball these days is the court is too small, especially at the pro level, and all those guys just don't fit, making the game boring. I don't even do March Madness pools in the office anymore.

y_jack_lok

jknezek

Quote from: y_jack_lok on September 26, 2017, 04:11:22 PM
^^^ Understood.

Doesn't stop me from checking on W&L's scores though. You've got to hope right? And a new coach always brings a new hope.

tigerFanAlso2

Damn, what has happened to HSC basketball ? If preseason predictions are any indication, looks like this will be yet another season not to remember. But there is always hope; Shenandoah was picked to finish last in football and they are tied for first  with W&L & HSC at 3-1; so hopefully the b'ball coaches got it wrong as well.

ronk

Randolph-Macon @ Maryland tonite; radio in DC area.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: ronk on November 02, 2017, 09:47:17 AM
Randolph-Macon @ Maryland tonite; radio in DC area.

BTN Plus if you have the capabilities.