FB: Ohio Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:05:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

raiderpa

Quote from: SaintsFAN on May 01, 2020, 01:08:23 PM
Quote from: hsbsballcoach7 on April 28, 2020, 10:20:48 PM
I was bored the other night, so I rewatched lots of the NCC game. I got to thinking about next years team....long way off, I know, but please bare with me. Wayne Ruby stuck out to me when catching the ball. On one catch late in the game, I thought it was Hill that went up high, between two defenders on the sideline, but it was Ruby. It seemed like Rutter knew which matchup he was going to exploit before every snap.  I forgot that Mounts defense held NCC in check in the 4th quarter to give the offense a chance. I have not heard anything new on if Kappas is staying as D coordinator or any new defensive coaches and this could also impact strategy.

I have lots of faith in this staff and returning players, that this will be a fun season to watch again. Quick rundown from my view (please chime in.... I'm bored):
QB
There's going to be a good QB no matter who Dartt chooses
Plunk - likely starter with experience, good arm and good accuracy
CJ Shedd - great arm and accuracy (highlights) and seems to read defenses well. Throws well under pressure and spreads it around.
Xavier Williams - nice arm and touch on throws. Good mobility in pocket, keeps eyes downfield for open guys.

RB
Petro - will carry the load, but I hope we keep him fresh
Parker - got lots of time last year and showed talent, just need consistency
Redmon - He came on at the end of the year, Nemeth-like runner to me. I really like this group.

Oline
Presutti (only returning starter)
Daniel (returning starter - if he returns with his 5th year after injury)
John Valentine - 2 deep in 2019
Jake Penko - 2 deep in 2019
They've got lots of talented guys to push this group and fill in spots. This should be a strength.

WR
Wayne Ruby - very athletic and playmaker
Edwin Reed - showed flashes last 2 years and I expect him to put up numbers
Jordan Lee/Jaden Manley/Robby Kirchner - short, quick, slot type guys

TE - Not sure what Dartt will do here as the offense hasn't used tight ends, but in certain matchups
Weygandt returns and is athletic. They seemed to use him in the slot last year. He has nice hands.

Defense - I don't know X's and O's like some of you, but I wish that the Purple Raiders would return to a 4 man Dline. I understand that most D3 teams use a spread offense and you want more athletic guys to combat that, but IMO pressure on a QB does more to throw off a play rather than an extra guy in coverage. I'm not saying that it should be the base defense, but it needs to be used in games. I feel that it would help vs the top D3 offenses (NCC, Wheaton, UWW, UMHB, St Johns, St Thomas or JCU). IMO the best defense that Mount had recently in 2015 had a great 4 man Dline that would put pressure on teams. Of course if they don't have the guys for the scheme that changes everything.

DL - lots of questions here with the defense as a whole (as there should be)
Eli Beers - in 2 deep at DE
Nate Brunson - in 2 deep at DT
Duke Hill/Brady Maxwell - were on playoff roster

LB
O'Hara - returning starter
Ford - returning starter although, I'm not sure he's a LB
Labuda - in 2 deep
Kovath - in 2 deep (typical Mount LB, tackles well and makes things happen)
Cyvas - in 2 deep

Safeties
Vail - returning starter
Henwood - 2 deep
Britt - returning starter
Bowker - 2 deep (one of few freshmen to be on playoff roster and he played lots)

CB (with Griffin and Williamson transferring)
Murrary - 2 deep
Bradley - returning starter

As usual, there is some young talent waiting in the shadows with incoming freshmen and JV guys. They're chomping at the bit to prove they deserve a shot when a "varsity" guy isn't performing up to expectations. Again, I'm just throwing some thoughts out there as I miss sports!

IF they play, this will be the most interesting season for Mount Union since the days before Ballard.  Lots of holes to fill and while they have seemed to just plug in kids into these holes in the past, it was under a Kehres.  It will be fascinating to see how all these position groups gel and play together and doing it under a new regime.

I have little doubt that Larry Kehres will be actively involved in getting Coach Dartt off to a positive start.  He cares too much about the program and Coach Dartt to allow him to get behind the curve early.  He will be on the field or be on speed dial, so Dartt may immediately ask questions or advice.  He will never walk away from Mount or his family, he has too much integrity to do otherwise.

Dr. Acula

Looks like Musky QB Brody Hahn is transferring to ONU.  I assume the OAC rule is still in place requiring him to sit out a year. 

pradierguy

Quote from: Dr. Acula on May 02, 2020, 06:43:40 PM
Looks like Musky QB Brody Hahn is transferring to ONU.  I assume the OAC rule is still in place requiring him to sit out a year.

Seems like a bizarre move at this point in his career. Anyone have insight to what happened?

Kira & Jaxon's Dad

Quote from: Dr. Acula on May 02, 2020, 06:43:40 PM

The talk on Twitter is that he will play this fall, if there is football. Maybe he is a Grad Transfer.  He's been at Musky for a while.
National Champions - 13: 1993, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2012, 2015, 2017

WRMUalum13

Quote from: gizzmo13 on April 28, 2020, 03:44:32 PM
If Hill doesn't get a shot somewhere I'll be shocked. 4.56 is not a blazing 40, its not awful  I'm sure he can improve that a little. Hes got great hands , ball skills , willing blocker dude can catch anything just throw it near him. If Mount had not lost so early in playoffs he woulda went over 2000 yds and prob 30 something tds. What more can a player do really. Things would be totally different if he even ran a 4.49 . I think all scouts see is the 4.5 and think this isn't a 4.4 guy. Game speed is different, hes fast. Someone give this kid a chance.

Where did you see 4.56? The pro day results I saw said he ran 4.68.

gizzmo13

http://nfldraftblitz.com/2020/03/09/wr-justin-hill-mount-union-interview/
Justin Hill:  My height is 5'11 ½, weighed in at 191 pounds and I ran a 4.56 at the pro day last week.  It was at Miami of Ohio.

Caz Bombers

condolences to the JCU family on the loss of the legendary Don Shula, 90 years old, a great life.

WRMUalum13

Quote from: gizzmo13 on May 04, 2020, 09:04:45 AM
http://nfldraftblitz.com/2020/03/09/wr-justin-hill-mount-union-interview/
Justin Hill:  My height is 5'11 ½, weighed in at 191 pounds and I ran a 4.56 at the pro day last week.  It was at Miami of Ohio.

Oh that's weird, draft scout.com referenced that pro day, but said 4.68. 4.56 makes more sense.

MUC57

My condolences to the John Carroll community, especially my friends "JCUStreaks70" and "bluestreak66", on the death of Don Shula. The stadium at JCU carries his name and his memory will always be a part of the university. What a career - John Carroll, the Baltimore Colts and the Miami Dolphins. A true legend.
Rest in eternal peace, Coach Shula. ✝
I'm old! I get mixed up and I forget things! Go Everybody! 🏈 ☠

Shamrock

Rest In Peace, Coach Shula.

bluestreak66

Quote from: MUC57 on May 04, 2020, 12:26:06 PM

My condolences to the John Carroll community, especially my friends "JCUStreaks70" and "bluestreak66", on the death of Don Shula. The stadium at JCU carries his name and his memory will always be a part of the university. What a career - John Carroll and the Miami Dolphins. A true legend.
Rest in eternal peace, Coach Shula. ✝
+K
A.M.D.G.
Whose House? STREAKS' HOUSE!

RIP MUC57- "Go everybody!"

2018 CCIW PICK EM'S CHAMPION
2018 & 2019 ODAC POSTSEASON PICK EM'S CHAMPION
2019 OAC POSTSEASON PICK EM'S CHAMPION

Kira & Jaxon's Dad

National Champions - 13: 1993, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2012, 2015, 2017

jayhawkdaddy

Can anyone tell me if Capital will have a non-conference game this season?

WRMUalum13

Quote from: Kira & Jaxon's Dad on May 04, 2020, 06:54:27 PM
6' 3" QB from Ocoee, FL "committing" to Mt Union:

https://twitter.com/nick_dubbbb/status/1257411421681352710?s=21

Yeah I saw him listed at 6-1 on A ranking site, that seems more likely

Kira & Jaxon's Dad

Quote from: WRMUalum13 on May 04, 2020, 07:42:05 PM
Quote from: Kira & Jaxon's Dad on May 04, 2020, 06:54:27 PM
6' 3" QB from Ocoee, FL "committing" to Mt Union:

https://twitter.com/nick_dubbbb/status/1257411421681352710?s=21

Yeah I saw him listed at 6-1 on A ranking site, that seems more likely

I took the 6' 3" from his Twitter Profile.  On MaxPreps Roster (data input by coaches) he is listed as 6' 3" 220.  Big Dude either way.

Is this what you saw?  https://247sports.com/Player/Nick-Wright-46082162/

6' 1" 232