BB: NCAC: North Coast Athletic Conference

Started by woosterbooster, December 29, 2005, 03:10:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wally_wabash

Quote from: Bishopleftiesdad on May 14, 2015, 03:00:28 PM
Amen Doctor. +1. It just is not Oberlin doing well. Any NCAC rep has to do well. This is not something that gets fixed over night but over several years, but you need to start somewhere.

I'd also say that saying that we need to do better and/or win a bunch of regionals year over year is a pretty high bar.  And kudos to OAC teams for their success, but that is HARD.  85% of the field is out after one weekend.  Unlike the other sports where you get incremental benchmarks (Sweet 16, Regional Finals, etc.) and can judge your tournament progress appropriately, in baseball there's making the field and then there's making it to Appleton and there's nothing in between. 
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

Bishopleftiesdad

I do not think they need to win a bunch of regionals, just acquit themselves well. Don't go 0-2 or 1 and 2. I would like to start seeing some NCAC teams go 2-2. beat some quality teams
We also need to schedule strong teams during the spring trips. To raise our SOS those teams must be Mideast regions teams. Scheduling tough teams out of region does not help your SOS. Scheduling creampuffs in region does not help either.

Dr. Acula

Quote from: motorman on May 14, 2015, 04:35:56 PM
Dr, I believe it's just 5 dIfferent OAC teams to regionals in last 7 years. Don't know how long since Ott went but only Mount, JCU, BW, Berg and Marietta since at least 2009.

I think you're correct. My mistake! 

Dr. Acula

Quote from: wally_wabash on May 14, 2015, 03:50:09 PM
Quote from: Dr. Acula on May 14, 2015, 02:56:39 PM
If I'm remembering correctly even Wooster had a couple short trips to regionals recently.  The thing that buoys the OAC is that they have sent (I think) 6 different teams to the NCAA regional in the last few years and 3 different teams have won a regional.  That is going to help your entire conference when regional rankings come around.  It probably didn't hurt ONU if they did indeed end up ahead of Wooster in those final regional rankings.

Hopefully Oberlin continues to play well.  They are certainly proving themselves to be a tough out for anyone.

Whoa.  Is this really a thing that happens?  Because it shouldn't be.  Are the RACs not being guided by the selection criteria, or do they get to just make up whatever rules they want?  Prior championship results shouldn't be impacting current year's regional rankings.  Can it influence top 25 polls?  Sure (not my style, but I get it).  But not the regional rankings.  Those should be governed by the criteria.

Guided by the selection criteria?  Absolutely.  But as you know from your expertise in the football pool C stuff that criteria is somewhat at the mercy of what the members value more/less.  And that can change year to year.  This year SOS seemed to be the big one.  It just wouldn't surprise me if when they're splitting hairs ranking two teams with very similar resumes per the criteria that name recognition could sway things.  I'm with you, Wally.  Each team, each season should be an independent entity judged on its merits.  I'm simply questioning whether that holds true 100% of the time. 

wally_wabash

Quote from: Bishopleftiesdad on May 14, 2015, 11:38:37 PM
I do not think they need to win a bunch of regionals, just acquit themselves well. Don't go 0-2 or 1 and 2. I would like to start seeing some NCAC teams go 2-2. beat some quality teams
We also need to schedule strong teams during the spring trips. To raise our SOS those teams must be Mideast regions teams. Scheduling tough teams out of region does not help your SOS. Scheduling creampuffs in region does not help either.

I want to address the regional competition thing.  Over the last few years, the NCAA (rightfully) has made it increasingly difficult to play non-regional games.  About the only way to not play a game that ultimately counts as regional is to play out of division or play a team in the first or second year of transition to D-III.  From the 2015 baseball handbook:

●● All competition within an institution's defined sports region.
●● All competition within an institution's geographical region (Constitution 4.13.1).
●● All competition within a 500-mile radius from one institution to another.
●● All conference competition.
●● All out-of-region contests conducted during one institutional vacation period (i.e., spring break) for sports with a spring NCAA championship (Bylaw 31.3.2.3).

What's missing is the administrative region thing, but really, I'm having a hard time seeing teams from the Mideast playing any other D3 team that doesn't fit one of those descriptions.  I'm looking at OWU's schedule and the only non-regional games are those against Ohio Christian and Ohio Dominican.  Similarly looking at Wooster's schedule, all of their 2015 games count as regional competition. 

From my experience in tracking this sort of thing through football, it's less a matter of who you play than it is a matter of teams in your conference winning a healthy portion of their non-league games.  Good OOC records proliferate throughout the conference via the OOWP piece of the puzzle. 
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

Bishopleftiesdad

Thanks Wally, you are right I missed the final line:

●● All out-of-region contests conducted during one institutional vacation period (i.e., spring break) for sports with a spring NCAA championship (Bylaw 31.3.2.3).

I did not see that in the D3 FAQ I referenced. I did not review the handbook so that is my Bad. +1

So playing St John fisher probably hurt early on but once they start winning would have done some to boost the SOS. We still ended up in the 200's as per D3 baseball. As has been said in other threads that the D3 baseball formula may not be quite the same as what the NCAA comes up with. It would be interesting to compare the two. Does the NCAA publish the SOS for D3. When I have a moment I will check their website.

Pops33

The NCAA has last year's strength of schedule for the Mideast Region listed here http://web1.ncaa.org/champsel_new/exec/pdf/staticpdfrank, but they have yet to update it with 2015 information.

Bishopleftiesdad

Quote from: Pops33 on May 15, 2015, 11:25:11 AM
The NCAA has last year's strength of schedule for the Mideast Region listed here http://web1.ncaa.org/champsel_new/exec/pdf/staticpdfrank, but they have yet to update it with 2015 information.
Unfortunately the link does not work. You probably have to go to the site and navigate to it yourself.

Pops33

If you go to the NCAA's regional rankings page, at the bottom is a link for each region.  Click on that to display the 2014 Regional Rankings.  Hoping that they will update that at some time to the 2015 rankings.

NCACfan22

Oberlin defeats SUNY Old Westbury 9-3 (who defeated BW) and advances to play Keystone at 8 tonight. Go Yeo!

NCACfan22

OBERLIN WINS!! Game resumed in bottom 6th with YEO trailing Keystone (31-11) 4-1. Yeo battled back and won 5-4. The Cinderella story continues!! They now play RPI at 1 PM with a spot in the championship game against Cortland (who they beat through 8 innings) on the line.

Bishopleftiesdad

Fall games starting this week. OWU has first Fall game at 10:00 AM tomorrow. I plan on attending. It will be a nice break form the chores I have planned. I have heard they have 2 new Freshman Catchers, They will be competing with Pratt and Caputo. I assume the most of the competition will be with Pratt, I cannot see Cappy going anywhere, with his bat. Should be interesting  battle at second as well, between Stolly and Strausburg.
I have heard that Stolly has improved much defensively. While Stolly was not great at the plate with his bat, he definitely came through multiple times last year, with clutch hitting.
I believe the OF will be the same as last year. 
They lose Cooper and Buckey in the pitching rotation, but with Zullo, Wright (transferred from Walsh, last year, did not pitch much till the end of the year, while recovering from surgery.), Munger and Ray or Faley fighting for the fourth spot. So pitching depth should be fine.
There are a lot of Senior impact players this year, so hopefully they can build on last years success and make the next steps.

NCACfan22

Oberlin's 2016 schedule has been released. Massive step up for the Yeomen with their strength of schedule after winning the NCAC last year. Play Case, ONU, and John Carroll in addition to 16 games in 8 days in Arizona. Hard pressed to find a more difficult and demanding schedule in D3 baseball

Bishopleftiesdad

Good to see them stepoing up. In the past after their Arizona trip, they usually only played  the weekend DH's against conference foes. It is goos to see them playing some mid week games.
Whilenthis is an improved schedule there are tougher schedules in D3.

Dr. Acula

Yes, just go take a look at the link to Marietta's schedule on the OAC thread.  THAT'S a tough schedule.  Good grief.  Oberlin gets credit for upping their SOS as well as the number of games in total.  Both things will only help their kids get better.  I hope they win the East to be honest.