BB: NCAC: North Coast Athletic Conference

Started by woosterbooster, December 29, 2005, 03:10:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WoosterFAN

Some news on one of the new Wooster kids..I guess we have three to replace Yoder and the two seniors.

"Sheldon Steiner, from Dalton, Ohio, played first base, batted .331, and led the Larks in almost all offensive categories.
      He set a school record for career hits with 79. He played high school baseball at Central Christian High School in Kidron, Ohio, and will continue his career at The College of Wooster (Ohio).
      Steiner was named to the all-region team for the second consecutive year."
I can imagine no more rewarding a career. And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction:
"I served in the United States Navy" John F Kennedy

frank_ezelle

Quote from: Ralph Turner on January 22, 2006, 07:38:52 PM
Bash, you post about "Spring Training" in Texas or California is interesting.

The ASC begins in-division play on March 10th-11th with the 3-game series.  Marietta and Neb. Wesleyan are playing at McMurry on Mar 14th and Mar 15th.

There are excellent teams down here.  The ASC has 16 teams.  The SCAC-West has 5 more. Independent UDallas is always looking for games. 

Ralph--The SCAC homepage doesn't have the 2006 baseball schedule posted but on the Millsaps page it shows that they open conference play by hosting Hendrix on Feb. 18 & 19, and the next weekend Millsaps will be at Trinity for a big series.  It nice that these southern teams have the opportunity to play so early but the SCAC also plays their league tournament early and the winner has a long wait before playing an opening round game in the NCAA's.
Millsaps Athletics:  http://www.gomajors.com/
Millsaps Photo Website:  http://gomajors.smugmug.com/

David Collinge

Quote from: WoosterFAN on January 25, 2006, 10:35:06 AM
Some news on one of the new Wooster kids..I guess we have three to replace Yoder and the two seniors.

"Sheldon Steiner, from Dalton, Ohio, played first base, batted .331, and led the Larks in almost all offensive categories.
      He set a school record for career hits with 79. He played high school baseball at Central Christian High School in Kidron, Ohio, and will continue his career at The College of Wooster (Ohio).
      Steiner was named to the all-region team for the second consecutive year."

But aren't the holes on the left side of the infield (2nd, short, 3rd?)  I wonder if this kid can play elsewhere on the diamond, or maybe move out to left and move Barone to the infield (a possibility suggested by Wooster Booster on another page?) 

By the way, who are the Larks?  Central Christian is the Crusaders, unless they've recently changed names (although Larks would be a good name change for them,) and Dalton is the Bulldogs.  Did this gentleman transfer from a JuCo, or are the Larks perhaps a summer-league team?

woosterbooster

Quote from: David Collinge on January 25, 2006, 12:44:26 PM
By the way, who are the Larks? Central Christian is the Crusaders...

Central Christian did change names a few years ago, but not to the Larks.  They're now the Comets.

David Collinge

I've answered my own question; the Larks are from Hesston College, a Mennonite JuCo in Hesston, KS, and a not-uncommon destination for students from eastern Wayne and Holmes Counties.  In fact, there were 3 Hesston Larks named to the first team Juco all-region last season, and all three were from Central Christian or Hiland High Schools. 

NJCAA All-Region VI First Team Includes Three Hesston College Baseball Players

I'm guessing that Sheldon Steiner played for Hesston for two years (he was on this all-region team both years), and will come in to Wooster's lineup as a junior.

woosterbooster

I've heard of that school; some of my old volleyball girls considered going there, but I don't think that any did.  I didn't know that it was a JuCo, though; they didn't tell me that.

Ironic.  Wooster loses Ross Yoder, who would be a junior secondbaseman and is from Hiland high school in Holmes County, because he is transferring from the certainly more liberal and secular environment of Wooster to Mount Vernon Nazarene, a Christian school.

But then, here comes this Sheldon Steiner of Central Christian high school in Wayne County followed by a Mennonite JuCo, in Kansas no less, to play for Wooster and to balance out not only the baseball angle but the religious also.  You just never know.  :)

David Collinge

MVNU is a pretty staid place (or at least it was, back in my day, but I bet it hasn't changed much), and certainly less "worldly" than Wooster, but it's also a place that fields some pretty darn good sports teams.  They have a splendid baseball tradition, including Tim Belcher, the #1 overall pick in the 1983 draft.  They're just off the bottom of the top 25 in the NAIA preseason poll

Most of the East Holmes Yoders are Mennonite (or Amish), and I don't know what relationship the Mennonites have to the Nazarenes.  But if I had to guess, I'd guess that Ross Yoder transferred more for baseball reasons than religious ones.  Maybe scholarship reasons as well.

MVNU is also participating in the Gene Cusic Classic, at the same time as Wooster (Mar. 16-25), but won't face the Scots.  They will play Ohio Wesleyan at home in March, and have a home-and-home scheduled with Capital for before and after the Ft. Myers trip. 

David Collinge

From the Scots 2006 Baseball outlook, regarding the holes at the 4-5-6 positions:

"The Scots may go from one end of the experience spectrum to the other, as leading candidates to take over their roles are newcomers Sheldon Steiner and John Quimby. Steiner, a third baseman, is actually a junior, coming to Wooster from Hesston (Kan.) College, while Quimby could start right away as a freshman shortstop.

There will be a third new starter in the infield, too, at second base. Junior Mike Barone is one option there or he could remain in left field, where he has started the last two seasons, if another player emerges such as Bubba O'Donnell or Brad Stuetzer, both sophomores. Either way, Barone will find his way into the lineup as a .319 career hitter, including .325 with eight homers and 37 RBI during 2005, which earned him second-team all-conference honors. O'Donnell, who could also be a factor at third base, is the team's best defensive player, according to Pettorini, and Stuetzer has taken great strides offensively and is sure-handed, too."

woosterbooster

It certainly could be a baseball reason, but I wonder.  Yoder probably had the second base job locked up for the next two seasons on what is always a very good team.  (Not that Mt. Vernon isn't, of course.)

Maybe it is money, as Wooster is pricey and most of the NAIA schools in the area are much less costly besides offering the possibility of scholarships.

It could also be the manner of coaching.  Tim Pettorini can really go off sometimes, and not all players are built to handle that, or feel that they need to.

Late addition: Uh oh. That 2006 Outlook is new.  Thanks!  I was just looking for that this morning and it wasn't there.

David Collinge

Have you ever noticed that your Steve Moore and my Woody Allen have adopted the same posture?  Do you think Steve Moore is wondering if there is a God?  Or is Woody thinking about how to come up with a big defensive stop on this possession?  :D

smedindy

I don't think Woody would bring the...intensity...as a coach, but Moore probably would be out of his league on the set. Perhaps.

woosterbooster

I'm not sure about Steve Moore, but Woody may be pondering how to reclaim some lost love, ala Dobie Gillis and Thalia Meminger.

David Collinge

:D

Nice juxtaposition of photos; but Steve might not appreciate being compared to Dobie!  ;)

By the way, R.I.P. Maynard G. Krebs.  :(

Time to change my avatar, anyway, to something more appropriate to my post total (if only for a fleeting moment.)

Open the pod bay doors, HAL!

seinfeld

David Collinge

Holy cow!  :o  What goes on in East Holmes, anyway?  They had a sexually predatory elementary school music teacher recently convicted, too. 

I don't think he's going to be made very welcome at MVNU!  :-\