Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:20:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

smedindy

Quote from: RFB on October 12, 2017, 04:47:32 PM
Quote from: smedindy on October 12, 2017, 03:02:25 PM
Quote from: OxyBob on October 11, 2017, 03:10:29 PM
Quote from: smedindy on October 11, 2017, 01:49:34 PM
How is that weenie snowflake attitude?

"All it takes is one girl's hard work and stubborn refusal to accept archaic gender norms to force scouts and executives to accept elite talent, regardless of what body it is packaged in." The very idea that a woman could play in the big leagues is a joke. Speculating about it is a joke. Are you telling me a woman could be on a major league roster and be one of the 750 greatest players in the world? Ridiculous.

OxyBob

Not now, of course. But many years ago people thought it was ridiculous for women to run a marathon. But some women stubbornly refused to accept archaic gender norms and forced their way in.

Now, the women's record is either 2:15 or 2:17 depending on if it's a mixed-sex race or a women's only race. That's not quite with the men, of course, but it's pretty darn good and some speculate that women could out-do the men in a marathon in 20 years or so.

Many years ago, a woman coaching in the NBA would be looked at with disdain, but the Spurs have Becky Hammon, and Popovich even let her coach a pre-season game while he sat in the stands this year.

So, it's ludicrous to think it NEVER could happen. Not in a power position, but as a LOOGY or a middle infielder, why not?

It won't happen because of this thing called, biology.

Nah, not for curve's or knucklers or sinkers. Command and control is important, for sure, but if you can make batters chase the breaking stuff, I can see it one day.

smedindy

Quote from: OxyBob on October 12, 2017, 04:52:47 PM
Quote from: smedindy on October 12, 2017, 03:03:55 PM
Quote from: olddog on October 11, 2017, 05:56:20 PM
The very idea that a woman could play in the big leagues is a joke.
It amazes me a human being on this planet gives  "a woman playing in the majors" that much thought
Someone who's got speed, a good glove, can bunt - or a lefty with some dazzling breaking stuff. Yeah, it could happen.

So you're saying there's a female Brett Butler, Juan Pierre or Maury Wills out there somewhere? Yeah, right. A lady Jim Kaat or Tom Glavine? Yeah, right again.

The world record for the women's 100 meter dash is 10.49 seconds, set by Florence Griffith-Joyner (RIP) in 1988. Charlie Paddock ran 10.4 in 1923.

Equality does not mean equal.

And as for a woman playing in the majors, I quote Bill Burr -- "Is there anything guys can just have?"

OxyBob

Did I say Brett Butler or Juan Pierre. MAN, don't assume the best of the best. You don't have to be the best of the best. That's where your logic derails. You think they have to be at the upper echelon.

A good glove, some wheels, a bunter could have a career like, say, Willie Bloomquist, maybe. I mean, I despise slappys, but managers love them, and if a woman can run, take a walk, bunt, hit a few singles, and field as good as a the other slappies, then why not? It may be 2040 or so, but it could happen.

If Tony Fossas can last so long in the bigs, why can't a female LOOGY?

WHY do you assume I mean the upper echelon.

smedindy

Quote from: OxyBob on October 12, 2017, 05:37:54 PM
Quote from: smedindy on October 12, 2017, 03:02:25 PM
Not now, of course. But many years ago people thought it was ridiculous for women to run a marathon. But some women stubbornly refused to accept archaic gender norms and forced their way in.

Now, the women's record is either 2:15 or 2:17 depending on if it's a mixed-sex race or a women's only race. That's not quite with the men, of course, but it's pretty darn good and some speculate that women could out-do the men in a marathon in 20 years or so.

You must be kidding. 2:15 wouldn't even put a woman within 5 minutes of the top 3,000 men all-time. You're daft thinking a woman will ever run a marathon as fast as a man.

OxyBob

That wasn't ME. That was other analysts. Remember, men have had over 100 year head start, and the rate of the record for the women's marathon is geometrically growing faster than the men's record.

smedindy

Quote from: RFB on October 12, 2017, 07:20:40 PM
OxyBob wins in a landslide victory. Retreat to fight another day, smedindy.

Nope. I don't let them win.

smedindy

Quote from: OxyBob on October 12, 2017, 04:52:47 PM
Quote from: smedindy on October 12, 2017, 03:03:55 PM
Quote from: olddog on October 11, 2017, 05:56:20 PM
The very idea that a woman could play in the big leagues is a joke.
It amazes me a human being on this planet gives  "a woman playing in the majors" that much thought
Someone who's got speed, a good glove, can bunt - or a lefty with some dazzling breaking stuff. Yeah, it could happen.

And as for a woman playing in the majors, I quote Bill Burr -- "Is there anything guys can just have?"

OxyBob

Because we're all human beings, that's why.

smedindy

smedindy

Reading comprehension:

May, could, possible does not mean definitely will, or without a question.

Saying someone will make the majors does not mean at the HOF level.

Jay Sborz pitched 2/3 of an inning for the 2010 Tigers, on June 22 against the Mets in New York.

He was DFA'd, became a six-year free agent, signed the with Braves in 2011, and cut. That's his career.

Jay Sborz is a major league pitcher, no matter what else happened before or after that one fateful day.

Why can't a woman have a career like that in 30 years or so? Especially if they develop an arsenal of breaking stuff. Heck, Doug Jones never really threw a fastball and pitched for what seemed like 129 seasons.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/NYN/NYN201006220.shtml

OxyBob

Quote from: smedindy on October 12, 2017, 07:39:31 PM
Heck, Doug Jones never really threw a fastball and pitched for what seemed like 129 seasons.

Doug Jones? Are you kidding me? He had 148 decisions in 16 seasons and a 3.11 lifetime ERA. Led the NL in games finished in 1992, and led the AL in games finished in 1997. 5-time All-Star. Got MVP votes in 4 seasons. 25th all-time in saves. Doug Jones was awesome. Are you seriously saying a woman could be Doug Jones? You are daft.

A woman will never be in The Show, unless she's the great-great-granddaughter of Eddie Gaedel.

OxyBob

OxyBob

Quote from: smedindy on October 12, 2017, 07:20:52 PM
He said that no one thought there'd be a four-minute mile, ever. Not that a woman ran one.

No one ever thought a man would run a four-minute mile.

There, fixed it for you.

OxyBob

MonroviaCat

Go Cats!

smedindy

Quote from: OxyBob on October 12, 2017, 07:55:15 PM
Quote from: smedindy on October 12, 2017, 07:39:31 PM
Heck, Doug Jones never really threw a fastball and pitched for what seemed like 129 seasons.

Doug Jones? Are you kidding me? He had 148 decisions in 16 seasons and a 3.11 lifetime ERA. Led the NL in games finished in 1992, and led the AL in games finished in 1997. 5-time All-Star. Got MVP votes in 4 seasons. 25th all-time in saves. Doug Jones was awesome. Are you seriously saying a woman could be Doug Jones? You are daft.

A woman will never be in The Show, unless she's the great-great-granddaughter of Eddie Gaedel.

OxyBob

The whole point, MR DAFT, is that Doug Jones didn't throw hard at all, and threw one money pitch - an excellent changeup. Velocity isn't necessarily an issue. I thought you'd remember who Doug Jones was and what he threw and didn't throw.

I could have said Stu Miller, who threw a great straight change slow, slower, and slowest. Deception and changing speeds worked for him.

Think critically, and connect the dots.

smedindy

smedindy

Quote from: OxyBob on October 12, 2017, 08:09:20 PM
Quote from: smedindy on October 12, 2017, 07:20:52 PM
He said that no one thought there'd be a four-minute mile, ever. Not that a woman ran one.

No one ever thought man would run a four-minute mile.

There, fixed it for you.

OxyBob

Fixed the fix.

D O.C.

Yes, MCat.

Hey, those bearded Russian women were pretty damn good discus launchers.

smedindy

"Take this, Brunhilde, the Stasi says it will make you throw shot put farther. Never mind the acne or the hair loss. Bald is beautiful in Berlin"