FB: Ohio Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:05:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pradierguy

Maybe this is S.O.P., but on Saturday LK was not wearing a headset, but was calling all plays. Plus, I never saw a cheat sheet, I really think he was calling them from memory. The man is not human.

HURFMUC

LK did have a cheat sheet saturday you just didn't see it

USTBench

Got over my $ anxiety and booked a flight today. Flying into DC and driving down with a buddy. Any suggestions on how to make the most of the experience are welcome. PM me, throw it on the board, whatever.

I'll dig up some Tommie swag for trade with anyone willing to part with some Purple Raider stuff btw.
Augsburg University: 2021 MIAC Spring Football Champions

edward de vere

Here's the problem with the "by committee" approach:  It doesn't work as well as the "all-time great" approach.

Mount Union's record in the Stagg is one thing with Ballard, Borchert, Micheli (and, we hope, Burke) at quarterback and quite another with a committee at quarterback.

Mount Union's record in the Stagg is one thing with Moore, Pugh, Kmic at running back and quite another with a committee at running back.

Whitewater's record is one thing with Coppage at running back and quite another without Coppage at running back.

(See also:  2003 and a player by the name of Blake Elliott.  Played for some school in Minnesota, I think.)

theaprof

Quote from: USTBench on December 11, 2012, 08:31:07 PM
Got over my $ anxiety and booked a flight today. Flying into DC and driving down with a buddy. Any suggestions on how to make the most of the experience are welcome. PM me, throw it on the board, whatever.

I'll dig up some Tommie swag for trade with anyone willing to part with some Purple Raider stuff btw.

You're on--t-shirt or hat?  PM me and we can set up the exchange.
Reloading--Again, and again, and again....

Desertraider

Quote from: edward de vere on December 11, 2012, 09:12:31 PM
Here's the problem with the "by committee" approach:  It doesn't work as well as the "all-time great" approach.

Mount Union's record in the Stagg is one thing with Ballard, Borchert, Micheli (and, we hope, Burke) at quarterback and quite another with a committee at quarterback.

Mount Union's record in the Stagg is one thing with Moore, Pugh, Kmic at running back and quite another with a committee at running back.

Whitewater's record is one thing with Coppage at running back and quite another without Coppage at running back.

(See also:  2003 and a player by the name of Blake Elliott.  Played for some school in Minnesota, I think.)

But when Mount had QB by committee (i.e Bruney and Burghardt) - they also had RB by committee at the same time. That resulted in a Stagg loss in 2003 and missing it in 2004. In recent years the QB by committee has been forced due to injury during the playoffs - Seaman, Piloto, Shorts. The Staggs that they lost the last few years saw them without a Dominant RB, and without a Dominant QB (guys that could take over the game). What they did have was Cecil Shorts - but he was the best QB, WR, and RB on the team and could only play one position at a time. I think with what Burke brings to the table and the WR corps he has - a RB by committee is ok. Skilliter and Simon are a nice 1 - 2 and who knows, maybe TJ cures the butterfingers. On the UWW note - they had Beaver before Coppage. So it was not a committee. They had the best RB in the country not named Nate Kmic.
RIP MUC57 - Go Everybody!
National Champions: 1993, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2012, 2015, 2017
The Autumn Wind is a Raider!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzEYK_XjyLg
Immaculate Prevention: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZLq_acsVN0

wesleydad

mount friends, i have been forced to come over to the dark side of the force. ;D  my stone station friends have fallen victim to the friday night game and can not pull the usual tailgate together.  so since i am coming anyway and i dont know any one from st thomas i will be force(d) to hang with the mount people. :D  thanks to mtfan for letting me know that i can hang with you guys since it is not a lot of fun tailgating alone.  as usual will be looking forward to chatting with you guys about all the reasons why you think this mount team may get beat this week. :o  i will be bringing some good micro brew from my local brew pub and will be glad to share it with anyone from either mount or thomas that wants to have a taste.  see you all friday.

edward de vere

DesertRaider:  I think we're roughly on the same side of the argument.  I was replying to USTBench's enthusiastic endorsement of his team's "we're throwing everybody including the waterboy out there, and NOBODY'S got film on the waterboy!" makeup this year.

Hey, you go with who you got, and hope the other guy ain't got what you got PLUS Magilla The Gorilla.

Dr. Acula

Quote from: USTBench on December 11, 2012, 08:31:07 PM

Well worth it, especially the first Stagg for your school?  Money well spent!  You'll have a blast.

purple

UTBench....take an extra day and visit Gettysburg.

UMUplayerdad

Quote from: MUC80 on December 11, 2012, 05:43:32 PM
Quote from: hazzben on December 11, 2012, 01:10:52 PM
Quote from: raiderpa on December 11, 2012, 12:15:25 PM
First sighting on St Thomas board:
"Mount Union has not seen a defense like we have" 
to paraphrase:  UMHB defense not even close to being as good as the Tommies...
here we go

ARE YOU KIDDING ME???
I just wanted to win Friday, now I want to win and score 40...or 50...or 60

UMHB may be the better team. We'll get an idea on Friday. But it's not at all outlandish to claim UST has a better D than the Crusaders. And you are blatantly putting words in their mouths to claim they are saying UMHB is "not even close to being as good as the Tommies." No one has said that.

Rush D:
1. UMU - 46 yds/g
6. UMHB - 72 yds/g
7. UST - 76 yds/g

Pass D:
4. UMU - 133 yds/g
110. UST - 210 yds/g
225. UMHB - 262 yds/g

Pass Eff D:
2. UMU - 79
19. UST - 102
59. UMHB - 113

Total D:
1. UMU - 179 yds/g
16. UST - 278 yds/g
80. UMHB - 334 yds/g

Scoring D:
1. UMU - 8.6 ppg
11. UST - 14.1 ppg
65. UMHB - 20.4 ppg

3rd Down Pct:
3. UMU - 25.1%
6. UST - 27.4%
62. UMHB - 33.8%

Turnovers Gained: (maybe this is why they seem to have such a superior D  ;))
3. UMHB - 38
7. UST - 34
10. UMU - 33

Sacks:
18. UST - 44
38. UMHB - 40
42. UMU - 39

UMHB ranks ahead of UST in just two categories, and only marginally so (4 yds/g rushing; 4 TO's on the season). In every other category, UST has the edge. Several times by a good margin.

Now, if UST fans were claiming their D was superior to Mount's, I could see you getting your purple panties in a bunch. But I know of no credible UST or MIAC poster (i.e. not including the drivel that Purple Reign puts out there) who is claiming UST has the edge on D or as a team. They are confident, but not delusional. And they've earned that right by making the Stagg, a path that included several quality teams that UST dominated on D and made totally one dimensional.

It's entirely possible that Mount has not seen a D this year like UST's. It's also highly likely UST has not seen an offense or defense as good as Mounts. And that's why I can't wait for Friday. We get to see it proved on the field! We really do have a great, even if not perfect, system in place at the end of the day.

A topic that was discussed on this board a couple of weeks or so ago: Mount's offense faces the #1 defense in the country every week... in practice. Sure, it's not actual game conditions, but Coach Kehres doesn't have them "walk through" the plays. On every rep, the offense is working their butts off to try to beat a defense working just as hard. So when someone says "they have never faced a defense like ours", it should be modified with the qualifier: "outside of their own practices."

I HAVE heard from a very solid source that the contract practices are as rough as many of the games     (uh I am willing to readily admit the average practices wasnt as tough as the game with the texans obviously

mtfan

FYI- last nights gasline explosion in Charleston, WV melted part of I-77 and therefore a traffic snafu, delays and detours getting around there, have been told by a reliable source it has made about a 2 hour delayso adjust your driving schedules accordingly!
Is this another attempt by that mean ole' NCAA of trying to keep Mount from another Stagg bowl?? ;) hmmmmm safe travels everyone!!

amonachino

HScoach

Quote from: mtfan on December 12, 2012, 07:52:15 AM
FYI- last nights gasline explosion in Charleston, WV melted part of I-77 and therefore a traffic snafu, delays and detours getting around there, have been told by a reliable source it has made about a 2 hour delayso adjust your driving schedules accordingly!
Is this another attempt by that mean ole' NCAA of trying to keep Mount from another Stagg bowl?? ;) hmmmmm safe travels everyone!!

I-77 has re-opened to all traffic.

http://www.dailymail.com/News/breakingnews/201212120028
I find easily offended people rather offensive!

Statistics are like bikinis; what they reveal is interesting, what they hide is essential.

USTBench

Quote from: purple on December 11, 2012, 10:18:28 PM
UTBench....take an extra day and visit Gettysburg.

I lived in DC for a bit and have seen many of the battle fields in VA, PA and MD. Will also be in a wedding near Gettysburg in the spring. Amazing place.

Crazy Story. Went to the Atietam Battlefield 6 years ago and we see a ton of cars and several troopers from the MD State Patrol. We get to the gate and a trooper leans in and asks, "Ya'll Klan?"

Confused I said, "Like the KKK or is this some crazy reconstruction era/Civil War re-enactment?"

Trooper: No, the Klan is having a rally here. If you ain't Klan, pull in over there.

Sure enough, about 200 yards away there was a small contingent of morons, some in Klan regalia, some skin heads, and a 500lb man in an ill fitting Waffen SS uniform.
Augsburg University: 2021 MIAC Spring Football Champions