WBB: Michigan Intercollegiate Athletics Association

Started by MJA, February 24, 2005, 06:38:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jester1390

I have heard there are talks between Rose-Hulman and Trine in playing.  Rose is still waiting for permission from admin to play non confrence

TUAngola

Quote from: Jester1390 on October 20, 2020, 12:13:47 AM
I have heard there are talks between Rose-Hulman and Trine in playing.  Rose is still waiting for permission from admin to play non confrence
I hope they can make it work Jester.  My guess is that Trine will be looking at matchups with colleges mostly within a 4-5 hour drive.  Most schools within the HCAC would be viable scheduling prospects if those schools pursue a Nov/Dec independent schedule.

TUAngola

Trine loses exhibition game to Huntington 63-48, watched the game on the Trine Broadcasting Network.  Trine shot like they hadn't touched a basketball since last March.  ::)  We played lots of girls, 15 or so, probably no one got more than 15 minutes.  Huntington is good, not "Hope good" but pretty decent, was a 20 win team last year.  They played less of a bench and starters played way more.  No one stood out for Trine, except for Rachel Stewart.  She didn't start the game but was probably the best girl on the court for Trine.  We also got annilihated on the boards, Huntington went to the offensive glass very well.  Too many turnovers, couldn't hit a 3 ball.  Not recipes for a win.  But it's our first time out.  Got another exibition game tomorrow night against an even better Indiana Wesleyan squad.  Game will not be broadcast however.

jaybird44

It seems that I have been the only member of the only (unofficial) fall sport at WashU, with my 100-mile ultramarathon attempt earlier this month to promote the fight for a cure during Rett Syndrome Awareness Month.  That attempt fell a bit short in miles and fundraising, so I'm going into overtime to try and reach $5,000 in donations.

Rett Gets Rocked 50K for $5K will commence Friday, October 30 at 8 pm Central, and end at 8 am Halloween morning.  Counting donations received (thanks to retired WashU men's basketball coach Mark Edwards and his wife Mary, and to Mike McGrath and his  University of Chicago men's basketball program for their donations!) and those yet to be sent and processed, I am at $4,440.53.  Very, very close to my goal...which will fund a researcher's work for a month.  Wouldn't it be cool if he or she cracked the code for a cure of Rett syndrome, on our dime?!

I reached 86 miles in my "Rett Gets Rocked Virtual Ultra Weekend" October 3-4.  I'm very proud of that result, but there's more work to be done.  Proceeds from the event will be split between Rettsyndrome.org (the only national organization spearheading research and providing resources for affected patients and their families) and the Rett Spectrum Clinic--a collaboration between the WashU School of Medicine and St. Louis Children's Hospital.

Rett syndrome is a rare, non-inherited neurological disorder that is caused by a gene mutation in the brain.  It primarily affects girls (1 in every 10,000 girls develop Rett).  It strikes typically when a child is 6-18 months old, and it has the characteristics of ALS, autism, epilepsy, and Parkinson's...all rolled into one sinister disorder.  It takes away the child's ability to move and communicate. 

In essence, Rett does to a child what Lucy in the "Peanuts" comic strip does to Charlie Brown when he tries to kick the football that she is holding.  The only difference is that Charlie Brown can get back up to try again.  Those who are afflicted with Rett syndrome don't get another chance to enjoy a vibrant life.

Researchers are working to re-engineer the gene mutation that turns on Rett, so it can be forever turned off.  Four drug therapies are in the FDA review pipeline, with one (trofanitide) one level away from review.  And, iPad tablets with retinal scan technology are giving those with Rett a voice they haven't had since they were toddlers.

The full court press on Rett is paying off.  You can help keep the pressure on Rett, by going to my Rett Racers donation page:  https://rettracer.everydayhero.com/us/rett-gets-rocked-2020

Thanks for your time and consideration, and hopefully there will be basketball to play and broadcast at the start of 2021!

Jay Murry
Play-By-Play Announcer, Washington University in St. Louis
Event Director, Rett Gets Rocked 50K for $5K

TUAngola

Trine opened the "pre conference" season this past weekend with a couple road wins over NAIA squads from Lawrence Tech on Saturday and Siena Heights on Sunday.  So far all of the Thunder games played, including exhibition, have been against NAIA teams, and have added another NAIA game at Goshen on Friday evening.  Each institution, I am assuming, has their own guidleines as far as mask wearing on the court.  I noticed against Lawrence Tech the Trine women did not wear masks, but against Siena Heights they did, as did the SHU ladies.   

Jester1390

Trine will pay Rose at Rose  TUESDAY DEC 1ST

Roundball999

Holding my breath that the Hope women will get a game in tomorrow at Devos as scheduled.  After the undefeated season with a junior-laden team last year, I just hope the Dutch seniors get to play a few games, maybe have the opportunity to play for a league championship.

Flying Dutch Fan

Quote from: Roundball999 on January 19, 2021, 06:57:08 PM
Holding my breath that the Hope women will get a game in tomorrow at Devos as scheduled.  After the undefeated season with a junior-laden team last year, I just hope the Dutch seniors get to play a few games, maybe have the opportunity to play for a league championship.

I share your thinking.  Pretty certain they are already the only basketball team (in the modern, championship era) to finish a season un-defeated but not win a national championship.  My heart goes out to this senior class (9 of them on the team) - praying that they can be healthy, play all the games on their current schedule, and then beyond.  Looking forward to seeing some De Vos basketball tonight. 
2016, 2020, 2022 MIAA Pick 'Em Champion

"Sports are kind of like passion and that's temporary in many cases, but academics - that's like true love and that's enduring." 
John Wooden

"Blame FDF.  That's the default.  Always blame FDF."
goodknight

Flying Dutch Fan

Hope 97
Concordia 30

Enjoyed seeing some Hope basketball last night.  Really not much of a contest as Hope's size and defense really controlled the game.  Hope had 30 offensive rebounds with 25 second chance points.  Concordia committed 46 turnovers (Hope had 32 steals) with 58 points off those turnovers.

Concordia is a very young team - 1 Sr & 1 Jr, while Hope is of course very experienced with 9 Sr that to date have started a combined 311 games!  That being said, I was also impressed with the play of some of the newcomers to the Hope team.

Overall - it was really nice to see the joy of playing the game in all the players!!

"Sports are kind of like passion and that's temporary in many cases, but academics - that's like true love and that's enduring." 
John Wooden

goodknight

Roundball999

Quote from: Flying Dutch Fan on January 21, 2021, 08:36:31 AM
Hope 97
Concordia 30

Enjoyed seeing some Hope basketball last night.  Really not much of a contest as Hope's size and defense really controlled the game.  Hope had 30 offensive rebounds with 25 second chance points.  Concordia committed 46 turnovers (Hope had 32 steals) with 58 points off those turnovers.

Concordia is a very young team - 1 Sr & 1 Jr, while Hope is of course very experienced with 9 Sr that to date have started a combined 311 games!  That being said, I was also impressed with the play of some of the newcomers to the Hope team.

Overall - it was really nice to see the joy of playing the game in all the players!!

Yes, really nice to see even though not a competitive game.  Also nice that everyone got a lot of PT.  Defensive intensity and conditioning was very impressive considering the long layoff.  A little rust on the offensive end in spots but not bad.  Schoonveld VERY impressive, looked like the All American she is.  A little hard to tell from this game but looks like the Dutch haven't missed a beat from last season. 

I see Trine had a blowout win over Alma; I don't know much about Calvin or the rest of the league for that matter but a two team race again seems likely.

Roundball999

I mentioned a two team race with Hope and Trine, that may be true gut I failed to give credit to always tough Albion.  Hope pulled away in the 2nd half for the 86-58 win but it was maybe more of a battle than the final score indicated.  Albion's Rain Hinton is a heck of a player.  I don't know if the masks make it even more important, but Hope's depth seemed to play a major role as is often the case with the Dutch.  5 Dutch in double figures including 2 off the bench (career high 17 for Kate Majerus) and 10 players saw at least 14 minutes of PT.  Such a luxury for the Dutch to have active and agile 6'3" Olivia Voskuil guarding the interior, she set a school record with 9 blocks.

Flying Dutch Fan

Quote from: Roundball999 on January 24, 2021, 07:33:18 AM
I mentioned a two team race with Hope and Trine, that may be true gut I failed to give credit to always tough Albion.  Hope pulled away in the 2nd half for the 86-58 win but it was maybe more of a battle than the final score indicated.  Albion's Rain Hinton is a heck of a player.  I don't know if the masks make it even more important, but Hope's depth seemed to play a major role as is often the case with the Dutch.  5 Dutch in double figures including 2 off the bench (career high 17 for Kate Majerus) and 10 players saw at least 14 minutes of PT.  Such a luxury for the Dutch to have active and agile 6'3" Olivia Voskuil guarding the interior, she set a school record with 9 blocks.

Agree on your thpoughts on the game wiht the Britons on Saturday.  Voskuil really had quite the game (despite going 3-12 from the floor). 12 points, 9 reb, 9 blocks, 3 ast, 6-6 on FT in 26 min. 

Also, with her 13 points on Saturday, Kenedy Schoonveld is now just 20 points from hitting the 1000 point mark. 

John Wooden

goodknight

TUAngola

I haven't chimed in much about Trine WBB since the season resumed with MIAA play.  With the Trine men playing well this year I swap back and forth between game feeds  :D.  Watched a little of the Calvin game last night.  What's going on with the Knights WBB?  I would have thought they'd turn the corner with most all of their squad returning.  Timmer so was so fantastic her Freshman year, virtually unstopped in the post and could step out and hit the 3, but things seem different with her now.  Is she battling thru injuiries?  Just doesn't seem the same Gabby as she was a couple years ago.

Roundball999

Quote from: TUAngola on January 28, 2021, 05:45:22 PM
I haven't chimed in much about Trine WBB since the season resumed with MIAA play.  With the Trine men playing well this year I swap back and forth between game feeds  :D.  Watched a little of the Calvin game last night.  What's going on with the Knights WBB?  I would have thought they'd turn the corner with most all of their squad returning.  Timmer so was so fantastic her Freshman year, virtually unstopped in the post and could step out and hit the 3, but things seem different with her now.  Is she battling thru injuiries?  Just doesn't seem the same Gabby as she was a couple years ago.

Not sure what's up with Calvin.  At first I'd say that Trine and Hope just have really strong teams and have distanced themselves, but then I see Calvin lost to Alma.  Timmer had a tough shooting night vs the Scots but plenty of minutes and 14 rebs.   But I see she played only 21 minutes vs Trine with no foul trouble.   Something seems amiss, maybe injury or illness but that's pure speculation on my part.

Trine seems very formidable again.  Playing fabulous defense!

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

The Division III basketball season technically started nearly three months ago, but it has taken until the end of January for it to start feeling like the season is really underway. Even so, only about a quarter of the division has played just a single game. Another quarter of the division will never take to the court. And in between is wide gulf of different options.

On the first video-version of Hoopsville this season, Dave McHugh is joined by much of the D3hoops.com crew, Pat Coleman and Ryan Scott, to react to what has been one of the more unique seasons ... to say it lightly.

We react to the challenges schools are facing, what coaches are grappling with on a daily basis - especially beyond games and practices, and why schools are making so many different decisions.

We also discuss what is likely the future of this season's NCAA Championship Tournaments and, more importantly, when the decision on those tournaments will be made.

Plus, will there be a Top 25? No. Well, yes. Kind of. Tune in to learn more on what's coming. Plus a lot more including Dave spinning off Pat's thoughts on those wishing to attend games.

Hoopsville is presented by D3hoops.com and airs from the WBCA/NABC Studio. You can watch the show by clicking on the video player above. Or you can listen to the podcast available on any of the service options in the right panel.

If you have questions about Division III basketball, feel free to send them and we will answer them on a the show. Email them to hoopsville@d3sports.com or use any of the social media options to the right.

You can WATCH the show or listen to the podcast here: https://bit.ly/3oASGKl or https://www.d3hoops.com/hoopsville/archives/2020-21/january

Hoopsville broadcasts from the WBCA/NABC Studio. All guests are featured on the BlueFrame Technology Hoopsville Hotline.

If you have questions, ideas, or want to interact with the show, feel free to send them to hoopsville@d3sports.com or use any of the social media options available.

If you enjoy the show via the podcasts, choose your favorite avenue to listen and/or subscribe via the the following four avenues (click on the images when necessary):
SoundCloud: www.soundcloud.com/hoopsville

We also have the podcast now on Tune-In and others coming. We will update them once we have better abilities to do so.

Don't forget you can always interact with us:
Twitter: @d3hoopsville or #Hoopsville
Facebook: www.facebook.com/Hoopsville
Email: hoopsville@d3sports.com
Hoopsville Season Archive: www.team1sports.com/Hoopsville
YouTube: www.youtube.com/d3hoopsville
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.