BB: 2018 Duluth (Midwest) Regional: Frank Wade Mun. Stad., Duluth, MN

Started by Ralph Turner, May 07, 2018, 01:32:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cubs

So Bethany manages to get a pair of strikeouts, sandwiched around a walk that loaded the bases to keep it a 12-11 game....  THEN

A wild pitch scores the tying run and the catchers throw on the wild pitch scores the winning run to give Concordia a 13-12 Game #1 victory....  WOW!!!!
2008-09 and 2012-13 WIAC Fantasy League Champion

2008-09 WIAC Pick'Em Tri-Champion

Ralph Turner

Quote from: cubs on May 17, 2018, 03:10:35 PM
So Bethany manages to get a pair of strikeouts, sandwiched around a walk that loaded the bases to keep it a 12-11 game....  THEN

A wild pitch scores the tying run and the catchers throw on the wild pitch scores the winning run to give Concordia a 13-12 Game #1 victory....  WOW!!!!
Heartbreak for BLC!

Baseball Geek

I would be interested in knowing the probability of an intentional walk with one out actually paying off. Anecdotally, it seems to backfire when I witness it. Maybe it just feels that way...I suppose if it wasn't an effective strategy the majority of the time, coaches wouldn't employ it.

Jim Dixon

Quote from: Baseball Geek on May 17, 2018, 03:21:06 PM
I would be interested in knowing the probability of an intentional walk with one out actually paying off. Anecdotally, it seems to backfire when I witness it. Maybe it just feels that way...I suppose if it wasn't an effective strategy the majority of the time, coaches wouldn't employ it.

It seems to backfire because the team that is handing them out is generally behind the eight ball and the team ahead is not giving IW.

Jack Parkman

Hell of a job by Concordia.  It took a complete meltdown by Bethany Lutheran in the opener and coming out of the losers bracket to get back to Appleton.