SLIAC Volleyball

Started by y_jack_lok, September 19, 2009, 09:19:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

y_jack_lok

Just wondering if there is anyone else out there interested in sharing thoughts about SLIAC vb.?

Newcomer Spalding is off to a strong start, but it's hard to know how good the non-conference teams are that they've played. They did beat Transylvania 3-1, but Transy's record was 4-5 at the time and it doesn't look like those 4 wins were over strong teams. They play Centre today and Centre is 7-2. Center also beat Transy but had to go five sets to do it. Based on that comparison Spalding may have the edge and they are probably the team to beat in the conference, in spite of the coaches voting Webster into the #1 pre-season slot.

WLCALUM83

How much of a rivalry do the SLIAC schools have with Washington-MO?  If memory serves correct, one year that squad knocked off UW-Whitewater in the D3 finals a year or two after the WI squad took it all.

y_jack_lok

I don't think there is a serious "rivalry" between SLIAC schools and Wash U in most sports. In volleyball Webster has played Wash U every season I've been watching -- this is my fifth season. About 3 years ago Webster was up two sets to one on Wash U and had about eight match points in the 4th set but couldn't convert on any of them. They lost that set something like 40-38 or 38-36, and lost the fifth set. Other than that Wash U generally wins matches 3-0, although most of the sets are reasonably competitive, if not nail biters.

Webster has already lost to Wash U this season 3-0. Wash U has also defeated Greenville this season 3-0 and plays Fontbonne on Wednesday which should also be another 3-0 win for the Bears. That's it for SLIAC schools vs Wash U this season.

To digress from volleyball, recently Webster has competed fairly well against Wash U in baseball and softball. Last May Webster beat Wash U in the last losers bracket game of the softball regionals to get into the regional championship game against Gustavus Adolphus, which Webster lost. I think Webster softball has a 10-9 record against Wash U.

Realistically, most SLIAC schools don't expect to beat Wash U regularly in most sports. Greenville did beat them in football this year and I think Principia has a good chance to beat them in men's soccer this coming Tuesday. That game will be played at Principia.

WLCALUM83

SLIAC volleyball site indicates that Principia and Fontbonne went 2-0 while Centre beat Spalding in 3.

y_jack_lok

Those were conference match wins for Principia and Fontbonne over Blackburn and Westminster.

Fairly close sets between Centre and Spalding at 21, 22 and 18. Looks like Spalding will definitely be in the running for the top spot in the SLIAC as they get into conference play.

OshDude

Quote from: y_jack_lok on September 20, 2009, 06:20:37 PM
Those were conference match wins for Principia and Fontbonne over Blackburn and Westminster.

Fairly close sets between Centre and Spalding at 21, 22 and 18. Looks like Spalding will definitely be in the running for the top spot in the SLIAC as they get into conference play.
You probably know, but if you don't, Spalding can win the SLIAC regular season and its players are eligible for awards. However, the team can't play in the conference or NCAA tourneys.

Didn't post this here before, but my Midwest/Central/semi-national D-III VB blog is still around.

y_jack_lok

I sort of knew that, but had forgotten that they are inelegible for the post season tournaments. Thanks for the reminder.

WLCALUM83

y_jack_lok

Thanks. That must have been posted late yesterday, or I just missed it when I was poking around on the site earlier in the day.

y_jack_lok

Webster beats Spalding 3-1. Four very close sets featuring scoring runs by both teams in just about every set. Way too many serves out of bounds or into the net. Maybe some jitters for both teams knowing they are both at the top of the conference and this being the first time they'd ever met.

WLCALUM83

UMAC Volleyball Tournament Pairings are set:

http://www.umacathletics.com/sports/2009/8/14/WBALL_0814092002.aspx?path=vball

(Didn't want to set up a separate board for just one or two posts, that's why this one's in the SLIAC board).

WLCALUM83

It's a St. Scholastica-Northwestern-MN Tourney final in the UMAC:

WLCALUM83

#21 Westminster, MO vs. #14 Webster up shortly:
"When you come to the fork in the road, take it."

WLCALUM83

Final:  #21 Westminster, MO over #14 Webster  3 sets to 1
                 (25-19, 25-21, 23-25, 26-24).

Westminster clinches a tie at the top of the SLIAC with Greenville for the regular season championship
Webster will be seeded #3 for the SLIAC tournament

Westminster:  With Set 4 tied at 24-all, Blue Jay senior Natalie Needy got the last 2 clinching points, the final one on a service ace. Eryca Wanyoni, Claire Whitehouse and Haley Metke also had strong play tonight.

Webster:  Much of the time, particularly during Sets 3 and 4, the Gorlok servers would gain points when their hitters would either find gaps or force Westminster players' dig attempts to sail the opposite direction out of bounds. Webster had the lead for almost the entire 3rd set, and a good share of the 4th before the Blue Jays finally pulled the match out.

(Stats weren't working, don't know hitting pcts this time).
"When you come to the fork in the road, take it."