BB: D-3 Players in minor leagues/MLB

Started by Spence, September 11, 2007, 11:21:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mr_b

The Royals promoted RHP Mike Giovenco (North Park) to Kane County.

cubs

Stevens Point standouts Cody Koback and Scott Williams eached signed professional contracts this week.  Koback, the 10th Round pick of the Red Sox, signed a deal believed to be worth $75,000-$100,000, and received additional money for his final two years of college, while Williams sigend a free agent contract with the Washington Nationals, the same organization that drafted former standout Stevens Point P Jordan Zimmerman.

Congrats to both!!!!
2008-09 and 2012-13 WIAC Fantasy League Champion

2008-09 WIAC Pick'Em Tri-Champion

OshDude

The Yankees promoted FDU-Florham pitcher Ryan Flannery from High-A to Double-A.

The Rays promoted Concordia Chicago pitcher Jim Paduch from Double-A to Triple-A.

OshDude

Augustana pitcher John Peters and UW-Stevens Point pitcher Scott Williams were both assigned to the rookie GCL Nationals. If you missed it, both were signed as NDFAs earlier this week.

If you believe the MLB and MiLB player pages for Williams, he could have also attended a university called "Wisconsin Stateevens Point."

Stevens Point outfielder Cody Koback signed but does not have a link.

So we're down to three D3 draftees left unsigned, although all three were juniors and have eligibility remaining. The deadline to sign a contract is Aug. 15.

OshDude

A touching story about Corey Vogt (and his brothers) from the Hartford Courant.

In news unrelated to the story, Vogt was transferred from the 7-day to the 60-day DL this week.

OshDude

Charlie Furbush is reported to be among the Detroit players involved in a trade with Seattle.

Evan Drellich of MLB.com is reporting that the Tigers will trade Furbush, outfielder Casper Wells, third baseman Francisco Martinez and a player to be named to the Mariners for pitchers Doug Fister and David Pauley. There could be more pieces moving either way, but those are the reported names.

OshDude

Two of our guys are in MiLB.com's fifth annual "Moniker Madness" tournament of 64 players with unique names. Sure, it's silly. And a strange kind of fun, like minor league baseball's best promotions are.

Our guys in the "tournament":
Oxy's Brooks Belter, a 9-seed in the Icicle Reader bracket, opposes Zeke Spruill in the 1st round
Chapman's Kurt Yacko, a 15-seed in the Farmer Works bracket, opposes Jurickson Profar in the 1st round

The 1-seeds are Seth Schwindenhammer, Beamer Weems, Deik Scram and Rougned Odor. I'm not sure how the latter loses, but that's why we play the game.

Click this link to view the entire bracket and vote. Round 1 voting started today and ends on Sunday.

OshDude

UW-Stevens Point outfielder Cody Koback was assigned to the Rookie GCL Red Sox.

ECSUalum

Quote from: OshDude on August 01, 2011, 05:32:46 PM
Two of our guys are in MiLB.com's fifth annual "Moniker Madness" tournament of 64 players with unique names. Sure, it's silly. And a strange kind of fun, like minor league baseball's best promotions are.

Oxy's Brooks Belter, a 9-seed in the Icicle Reader bracket, opposes Zeke Spruill in the 1st round
Chapman's Kurt Yacko, a 15-seed in the Farmer Works bracket, opposes Jurickson Profar in the 1st round

The 1-seeds are Seth Schwindenhammer, Beamer Weems, Deik Scram and Rougned Odor. I'm not sure how the latter loses, but that's why we play the game.

Click this link to view the entire bracket and vote. Round 1 voting started today and ends on Sunday.

Osh, this is really hilarious, You wonder about of some the parents who named these kids, others just were born into the name!!

A little humor was great after sitting through the BS from our so called "representatives" in Washington :o

OshDude

Quote from: ECSUalum on August 02, 2011, 08:16:51 AM
Quote from: OshDude on August 01, 2011, 05:32:46 PM

Osh, this is really hilarious, You wonder about of some the parents who named these kids, others just were born into the name!!

A little humor was great after sitting through the BS from our so called "representatives" in Washington :o
I'm liking Drew Smyly, Didi Gregorious and Bob Stumpo as my sleepers to favorites Odor and Schwindenhammer.

I also like the baseball-themed alliteration of Brooks Belter. Belter/Schwindenhammer would be a good matchup in Round 2.

mr_b

Quote from: OshDude on August 02, 2011, 04:33:21 PM
I'm liking Drew Smyly, Didi Gregorious and Bob Stumpo as my sleepers to favorites Odor and Schwindenhammer.

I also like the baseball-themed alliteration of Brooks Belter. Belter/Schwindenhammer would be a good matchup in Round 2.
I like Jetsy Extraño on two accounts: the first name is very futuristic, and the last name in Spanish translates as "strange."

ECSUalum

Ron Boerger

According to the school's website, Evan Bronson (Trinity [TX]) has been called up to AAA Syracuse in the Washington Nationals organization.   I can't find him on the roster there, though, and some of the blog commentary is that he might only be up there for a very short time.   Evan had just been called up to AA Harrisburg a couple of weeks earlier.  Trinity (TX) story.

Bronson picked up a W in relief on August 1st, allowing 3 earned runs in 4.1 innings.

EDIT:  He was listed in the notes for tonight's Syracuse game, though he did not see any playing time.
EDIT 2:  He was sent back down to A Advanced Potomac.  

Jim Dixon

Quote from: ECSUalum on August 03, 2011, 02:45:27 PM
I predict Rougned Odor wins!!

and a sweet odor as he is batting .303 on the season.

OshDude

Here's an article that chronicles Moniker Madness history, including quotes and "Where is he now?".
Conventional wisdom when the contest began was that no one would be able to defeat Dominican Summer League sensation Jorge Poo Tang, but a concerted voting campaign launched in Will Startup's Georgia hometown resulted in an Elite Eight upset over Mr. Tang. Startup advanced to the finals, where he was defeated by 19-year-old catcher Houston Summers. The victory was a source of pride for the residents of Guilford County, N.C.

And this article updating this year's first-round voting.
Over in the Farmer Works bracket, No. 2 seed and Rangers top prospect Jurickson Profar is ahead of Kurt Yacko by just four percent.