FB: American Southwest Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:08:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Boerger

in Spring 2021 the SAA held its championships there, all eight football schools had one game (7 v 8, 5 v 6, 3 v 4, 1 v 2).

BSCpanthers

That is how we concluded out spring season.  I would like to see another game added that day as well to bring more people around the stadium.  It is going to be cavernous in that building with only a couple, hundred of us in there.

Crubacker

It would have been awesome if UMHB could play UW-W at Cowboy stadium, otherwise known as Jerry World------------that would be a great venue!

Etchglow

Quote from: Crubacker on April 29, 2022, 01:11:45 PM
It would have been awesome if UMHB could play UW-W at Cowboy stadium, otherwise known as Jerry World------------that would be a great venue!

I'd settle for the Ford Center at the Star in Frisco.  At least it only holds 12,000 so it wouldn't look like an empty cavern...  Heck, it'd be cool to hold a Stagg bowl there.  I mean, it is a dome!  I could dream that we'd actually get enough people to fill out Jerry World but we don't have nearly as many fans as HS football :-(. 

Etchglow

2022 UMHB Captains:

Kyle King
KJ Miller
Jeffery Sims Jr
Santee Parker II

crufootball

Great podcast just got released as featured Coach Harmon and our favorite D3 numbers guy Logan Hansen.

Lot of great info but the thing that was very surprising to me, Muhlenberg is not a 2 year home and home contract! It is a 1 year thing due to the Centennial changing up in the future the Mules don't need have space for us next year so they are flying down to Belton with no return trip for the Cru, big props to them for that. Don't know if we offer any type of financial support to make that happen but either way that is very impressive out of the Mules.

Etchglow

Quote from: crufootball on April 30, 2022, 02:06:11 PM
Great podcast just got released as featured Coach Harmon and our favorite D3 numbers guy Logan Hansen.

Lot of great info but the thing that was very surprising to me, Muhlenberg is not a 2 year home and home contract! It is a 1 year thing due to the Centennial changing up in the future the Mules don't need have space for us next year so they are flying down to Belton with no return trip for the Cru, big props to them for that. Don't know if we offer any type of financial support to make that happen but either way that is very impressive out of the Mules.

Yeah, was some great insight!

CowboyAlum261

So, with the threat of a revived SCAC poaching a big chunk of the current ASC membership, is it possible the ASC would try to persuade some of the state's NAIA programs to make the switch to D3? Texas Wesleyan is probably a good fit for the ASC, and SAGU and Wayland Baptist could be interesting fits as well. Add in Texas College and the ASC could get all the way back to 10. Obviously, there are huge differences between D3 and the NAIA, and this whole conversation is probably premature, but I wonder if anybody is thinking about that as a potential solution to an anticipated SCAC raid.

BSCpanthers

Why would you want to muddy the waters of D3 even further by bringing in more teams??? 

jknezek

Quote from: BSCpanthers on May 13, 2022, 09:25:09 PM
Why would you want to muddy the waters of D3 even further by bringing in more teams???

Because when you are on an island having more local schools simplifies everything.

BSCpanthers

Quote from: jknezek on May 13, 2022, 11:03:20 PM

Because when you are on an island having more local schools simplifies everything.

You do realize that if a current team changes conference they are still available for out of conference games, right?  Moving conferences doesn't move your physical location.   ;D

UMHB03

Quote from: CowboyAlum261 on May 13, 2022, 05:50:22 PM
So, with the threat of a revived SCAC poaching a big chunk of the current ASC membership, is it possible the ASC would try to persuade some of the state's NAIA programs to make the switch to D3? Texas Wesleyan is probably a good fit for the ASC, and SAGU and Wayland Baptist could be interesting fits as well. Add in Texas College and the ASC could get all the way back to 10. Obviously, there are huge differences between D3 and the NAIA, and this whole conversation is probably premature, but I wonder if anybody is thinking about that as a potential solution to an anticipated SCAC raid.
Other than Texas Wesleyan, which is building a new stadium and has potential to be a solid program, I don't think any of the other NAIA programs in the region would do anything but water down the competition and weaken SOS.
2016, 2018, and 2021 D3 Football National Champions

crufootball

Quote from: BSCpanthers on May 14, 2022, 10:27:40 AM

You do realize that if a current team changes conference they are still available for out of conference games, right?  Moving conferences doesn't move your physical location.   ;D

True, but if certain teams leave the ASC and create another conference with one of the main reasons being a better playoff chance why would they want to schedule teams like UMHB or HSU? Of course in reality if the ASC is still around it basically is a guaranteed 1st round match up between the ASC and the SCAC. 

jknezek

You do realize that it's easier to schedule when you have more local partners? So you don't end up playing Arkansas Baptist...

Etchglow

Availability really depends. Take Southwestern leaving the ASC for the SAA. On the face of it, you're losing 8 games. Since they're moving to the SAA and making it a 9 team conference that means they will have two non conference games. Let's assume that they schedule both against ASC teams so you've really only lost 6 games at that point. However, 7 of the ASC's current non conference games are against SAA teams. Trinity and Hendrix both play 2 games against the ASC. Since the SAA will need one less non conference game the ASC could lose as many as 7 more games or zero. So that would mean that one team transferring conferences could swing the number of games needed to fill by 6-15 games.

Edit: re-listening to the podcast. I'm hoping the tidbit about the asc and wiac trying to get a non-conference agreement comes to fruition. It would cost some in the long run but might be the only way we can get games without playing 3+ non d3 games as a conference.