FB: Ohio Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:05:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raider 68

Quote from: bleedpurple on June 08, 2022, 06:06:42 PM
Quote from: Raider 68 on May 18, 2022, 07:21:26 PM
Quote from: bluestreak66 on May 18, 2022, 04:49:42 PM
Quote from: Pat Coleman on May 12, 2022, 04:22:48 PM
Scoring a metric crapton of points, whether that's 105 or 90 or whatever, is only going to be a bad look for Mount Union for sure.
Unfortunately, this game is so much of a mismatch that it might be harder for them to not score 90 than it will be to score 90

It time for Mount to schedule a top five program, like UWW did with UMHB. Why not NC Central or St. John's or a few others.
No longer can the Raiders say that no one will play us. Those days are gone, and a very weak opponent does not help
the program at all. ::)

Based on everything I know and have seen, if Mount wants a competitive opening game, their first 6 calls should be to (in no particular order):

UW-W
UMHB
St. John's
Muhlenberg
Hardin-Simmon
UW-Oshkosh

Although, they haven't been a playoff team, UW-River Falls would also be a huge step up for the Purple Raiders as a pre-season game. They've gone head to head with St. John's over the years.

If there are other "quarterfinals and up type" teams that might be open to playing one of the powers, I'd love to see people expand this list. I'm sure there are some I'm missing.

If any of these six have openings the next couple of years, I think Mount would have a decent chance to get a game from them.

BP, good post! :)
13 time Division III National Champions

hsbsballcoach7

Quote from: Raider 68 on June 09, 2022, 09:49:13 AM
Quote from: bleedpurple on June 08, 2022, 06:06:42 PM
Quote from: Raider 68 on May 18, 2022, 07:21:26 PM
Quote from: bluestreak66 on May 18, 2022, 04:49:42 PM
Quote from: Pat Coleman on May 12, 2022, 04:22:48 PM
Scoring a metric crapton of points, whether that's 105 or 90 or whatever, is only going to be a bad look for Mount Union for sure.
Unfortunately, this game is so much of a mismatch that it might be harder for them to not score 90 than it will be to score 90

It time for Mount to schedule a top five program, like UWW did with UMHB. Why not NC Central or St. John's or a few others.
No longer can the Raiders say that no one will play us. Those days are gone, and a very weak opponent does not help
the program at all. ::)

Based on everything I know and have seen, if Mount wants a competitive opening game, their first 6 calls should be to (in no particular order):

UW-W
UMHB
St. John's
Muhlenberg
Hardin-Simmon
UW-Oshkosh

Although, they haven't been a playoff team, UW-River Falls would also be a huge step up for the Purple Raiders as a pre-season game. They've gone head to head with St. John's over the years.

If there are other "quarterfinals and up type" teams that might be open to playing one of the powers, I'd love to see people expand this list. I'm sure there are some I'm missing.

If any of these six have openings the next couple of years, I think Mount would have a decent chance to get a game from them.

BP, good post! :)

Johns Hopkins has had some really good teams.
The E8 would be better than Defiance or Rose Hulman. Alfred, Brockport, Cortland from the E8.
Hobart from the Liberty League would be decent as well. All of these teams are within a bus drive distance.

Dr. Acula

Literally anyone would be better than Defiance.  They're better off having an intrasquad.

MUC57

Hey, all you Raiders!

Had a great day Saturday at the old Alma Mater. I attended the dedication of the Dom and Karen Capers Football Center and the renaming of the stadium to Kehres Stadium.

If you haven't been in the new building, take a look. My reaction was "Wow". Picture a conference room that will hold the entire team with 4 huge screens. Offices for the various coaches. Walls covered with giant size pictures of former players. And the trophys!
You can't walk thru this place without realizing the tremendous accomplishments of the football program and the emphasis placed on it.
I just live about 5 blocks from the campus, so I can see it anytime. But, if you are in the area, for a game or otherwise, take a peek. You won't be disappointed!

What a thrill to look at the scoreboard and see, "WELCOME TO KEHRES STADIUM". And there will be a plaza in front of the stadium honoring Larry and Linda.
Coach Kehres deserves all the honors he has received. I put his name right up there with Orville Nelson Hartshorn, founder of our beloved school back in 1846.

It was truly a great day. Go Raiders!  :)
I'm old! I get mixed up and I forget things! Go Everybody! 🏈 ☠

emma17

Quote from: MUC57 on June 14, 2022, 03:49:38 PM
Hey, all you Raiders!

Had a great day Saturday at the old Alma Mater. I attended the dedication of the Dom and Karen Capers Football Center and the renaming of the stadium to Kehres Stadium.

If you haven't been in the new building, take a look. My reaction was "Wow". Picture a conference room that will hold the entire team with 4 huge screens. Offices for the various coaches. Walls covered with giant size pictures of former players. And the trophys!
You can't walk thru this place without realizing the tremendous accomplishments of the football program and the emphasis placed on it.
I just live about 5 blocks from the campus, so I can see it anytime. But, if you are in the area, for a game or otherwise, take a peek. You won't be disappointed!

What a thrill to look at the scoreboard and see, "WELCOME TO KEHRES STADIUM". And there will be a plaza in front of the stadium honoring Larry and Linda.
Coach Kehres deserves all the honors he has received. I put his name right up there with Orville Nelson Hartshorn, founder of our beloved school back in 1846.

It was truly a great day. Go Raiders!  :)

Thanks for sharing MUC. Coach Kehres' impact for D3 football goes well beyond MUC as well- he's deserving of "thank yous" from around the country.

WRMUalum13

Quote from: Dr. Acula on June 13, 2022, 04:41:41 PM
Literally anyone would be better than Defiance.  They're better off having an intrasquad.

I mean they'd be better off having an intrasquad then playing most of their OAC opps

bluestreak66

Quote from: WRMUalum13 on June 19, 2022, 05:40:15 PM
Quote from: Dr. Acula on June 13, 2022, 04:41:41 PM

I mean they'd be better off having an intrasquad then playing most of their OAC opps

might be so........ but Defiance did lose to Capital 41-7 last year  :o
A.M.D.G.
Whose House? STREAKS' HOUSE!

RIP MUC57- "Go everybody!"

2018 CCIW PICK EM'S CHAMPION
2018 & 2019 ODAC POSTSEASON PICK EM'S CHAMPION
2019 OAC POSTSEASON PICK EM'S CHAMPION

MUC57

I asked this question weeks back, and I'll ask it again.

Is anybody out there?  8-)  ;D
I'm old! I get mixed up and I forget things! Go Everybody! 🏈 ☠

Raider 68

Quote from: MUC57 on June 27, 2022, 02:38:23 PM

I asked this question weeks back, and I'll ask it again.

Is anybody out there?  8-)  ;D

Yes, MUC57 from Raider 68 (MUC68). One of the questions going into 2022, is who will the Raiders
have for running backs? They need a big fast back or one like Kmic, Dan Pugh and Chuck Moore. Have not
heard of any new recruits that are cast in the same mold. You cannot pass the ball all the time, and for 2021,
the Raiders threw the ball almost always. Need to look at NC and their great running game. :o

Also, need the back- up # 8  QB to play more. He can run and throw.

Dr. Acula

I don't know why, but it slipped my mind what JCU decided to do with Finotti stepping down.  For anyone else that forgot, the answer is that they named the OC as interim HC for 2022.  I went down a little bit of a rabbit hole out of curiosity and nosed around on their roster and stats.  It looks like they have 1 QB who has thrown a pass and that was in 2019.  It's so hard to gauge time in terms of seasons thanks to COVID, but it feels like Floriea was there forever.  Not Pentello level of forever, but a while anyway.  I'm interested to see how this season shakes out in UH. 

D3fanboy

Quote from: Dr. Acula on July 05, 2022, 04:19:24 PM
I don't know why, but it slipped my mind what JCU decided to do with Finotti stepping down.  For anyone else that forgot, the answer is that they named the OC as interim HC for 2022.  I went down a little bit of a rabbit hole out of curiosity and nosed around on their roster and stats.  It looks like they have 1 QB who has thrown a pass and that was in 2019.  It's so hard to gauge time in terms of seasons thanks to COVID, but it feels like Floriea was there forever.  Not Pentello level of forever, but a while anyway.  I'm interested to see how this season shakes out in UH.

They do have a former D1 All-Ohio QB on the roster.  Tadas Tatarunas was a highly sought-after QB back in '17 at Mentor.  Somehow he is still listed academically as a junior, playing TE now.  Congrats on working on the doctorate Tadas.

rscl70

Lindy's ranks Mount Union #1 in their preview of DIII.   I'm not so sure.  ???
12-0 = 13

WRMUalum13

Pre Season top 25 is out. Purple Raiders at #3 with 2 first place votes, behind UMHB and North Central. Not surprised at #3 but definitely surprised by the 2 first place votes. I was not impressed by the Purple Raiders playoff run last year. They did not seem nearly as dominant as a top 5 team should be.

D3fanboy

Quote from: WRMUalum13 on July 26, 2022, 12:38:41 PM
Pre Season top 25 is out. Purple Raiders at #3 with 2 first place votes, behind UMHB and North Central. Not surprised at #3 but definitely surprised by the 2 first place votes. I was not impressed by the Purple Raiders playoff run last year. They did not seem nearly as dominant as a top 5 team should be.

the two teams ahead of Mount in the D3 rankings both lost their head coaches, but sure, they'll be just fine

Raider 68

Quote from: WRMUalum13 on July 26, 2022, 12:38:41 PM

Hopefully this year the Raiders will improve. Coach Dartt will have a full year under his belt. He needs to be on the field
the entire year, not in the Press Box. The Raiders need a dominant running game again and evenly mix the run and passing
game. Last year all they did was pass the ball. The Pre-season teams 1 and 2 were more balanced last year.

Let's see if the recruiting delivers some stand outs! :-\