MBB: American Southwest Conference

Started by Sul Ross Lobos, February 26, 2005, 03:31:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JACKET84

Did the WBU job just become available, or has this been kept secret from the public for a while?

Ralph Turner

Quote from: JACKET84 on May 23, 2011, 10:38:37 AM
Did the WBU job just become available, or has this been kept secret from the public for a while?
I knew nothing of it, but I'll bet that WBU kept that situation under wraps.

http://www.wbuathletics.com/article/914.php

Current head coach resigned to take the AD job at Oklahoma Baptist on May 17th.

McMurry alumnus and WBU AD Dr Greg Feris knew where to look.

JACKET84

Ralph Turner

Quote from: JACKET84 on May 23, 2011, 03:53:55 PM
Terrible timing for the McMurry
We have not had as "unfortunate of a turnover" in coaching since the plagues that unraveled the football team in early last decade.  An agonizing death to cancer is bad, but that is a random event.

My first thought is that this is not the hardest decision that Coach Garnett will have to make.

That one comes in about 5-6 years when he has to tell WBU that he has accepted either a high profile assistant or a head coaching job at a D-1.  Believe me, that day is coming. (That was the day that I was dreading.  I thought that the move to D-2 would have kept him busy for about 10 years at Kimbrell Arena.  IMHO, his timeline has just sped up a few years.)

mcmfan

McMurry just announced this morning that a new coach has been hired for the men's basketball team — the father of one of the current players!  Check out the official details at

http://www.mcmurrysports.com/news/2011/6/1/MBB_0601110216.aspx
Alacumba!

Ralph Turner

Ralph Turner

HSU to compete in the D3Hoops.com Classic.

Congratulations and have a good time. Represent the ASC well.

Ralph Turner

Centenary has been approved to move to Year-2 (out of 4) re-classifying.

That is good news for the ASC.  Games against CC in 2012-13 should count as in-region, and they should be a full member in 2014-15.  If Centenary wants to add a football team, then that should help the conference as well.

Ralph Turner

McMurry 99 UTT 74.  McM moves to 2-0 in conference play.

Ralph Turner

McM 84 at UOzarks 73.  A good win on the road at a hard place to play.  NOw 5-0 on the season.

Play at UTD on Sat.

augie_superfan

Ralph, curious what you make of the huge Hardin-Simmons road win tonight at Texas-Dallas (80-58).

Ralph Turner

Quote from: augie_superfan on December 01, 2011, 10:55:55 PM
Ralph, curious what you make of the huge Hardin-Simmons road win tonight at Texas-Dallas (80-58).
Thanks for asking.

They are strong.  HSU was hot and Chris Barnes was cold.  It looks like Coach Butterfield doesn't have all of the pieces together for UTD, yet.  The Comets lost a lot of talent from last season.  IMHO, you beat UTD with athleticism.  UTD is almost as competitive on admissions as Trinity TX and more competitive than Southwestern. Coach Butterfield gets very smart, cerebral players who execute very well. 

McMurry catches UTD on Saturday and HSU goes to Ozarks, about 5 hours northeast of Dallas.

They play crosstown at McMurry on the 19th.  We will know by then.  Both teams might be undefeated for that game.

http://www.d3hoops.com/teams/Hardin-Simmons/Men/2011-12/index

I think that the winner of the HSU-McMurry game ought to be around #22-30, and the best team in the conference (for now UMHB) should be strong Top 20.

mcmfan

So, now, Ralph, what do you make of what looks like a huge UTD win over McMurry?
Alacumba!

Ralph Turner

Quote from: mcmfan on December 03, 2011, 06:00:04 PM
So, now, Ralph, what do you make of what looks like a huge UTD win over McMurry?
HSU had a great weekend.  I think that we will be in a real dogfight in the West.

I wonder if this team had their heads in an anatomically unusual position!  They were down by 20 with 4 minutes left.

This may be the early season humiliation that they need to get them focused.  It is probably better to have this game on the road to a UTD than to blow an early season game, pick the team and the recent year, that we have in the past few years.

mcmfan

I hope you're right about getting our guys focused.  The last few years, our men have done better than our women, but so far this year it looks like the roles may be reversed.
Alacumba!