FB: North Coast Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:05:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FightinScot

Quote from: wally_wabash on February 12, 2013, 09:04:20 PM
I don't know.  Holter was fine.  You guys know I think Richard Barnes is outstanding.  I think Schmitz had a problem developing an offense around a quarterback.  He didn't do a great job of putting his guys in a position to be all that successful.

Well put. Schmitz was a pretty good QB coach, IMO. And while we don't need to get back into it, I think Barnes' problems were created by his work ethic and locker room demeanor, not because of his coaching. Hopefully he can get something good going at ONU.

DPU3619

Quote from: Pat Coleman on February 13, 2013, 05:36:17 PM
With a new coach they were probably scrambling for numbers and may have overreached.

One particular Catholic midwestern college's baseball coach did the same thing in 1990, when I was applying to colleges. I got a letter from him inviting me to come to campus to meet about playing baseball. I was a fourth outfielder on my high school baseball team, loved the experience, but was never going to be good enough to play in college. It's a running joke in our family. :)

I have a similar story about DePauw's golf team.  That letter showed up and my Dad was like "Have they actually SEEN you play golf?" DePauw is good at golf, too.  They didn't need any double digit handicappers around there.

smedindy

If you put down you played a sport, some colleges will call you to try out no matter if you were all-conference or only got on the field on senior night for a token appearance.

SaintsFAN

Quote from: Dr. Acula on February 12, 2013, 04:27:23 PM
Quote from: seinfeld on February 12, 2013, 04:03:00 PM
I find this very surprising. Schmitz had success when he was working with the offensive line at Wooster, but I think his biggest downfall was his work with the quarterbacks and his seeming inability to develop them (the turnover ratio for our QBs seemed to get worse, not better, as their careers went on).

http://www.onusports.com/sports/fball/2013-14/releases/20130212vtb50w

And ONU needs to develop one since Humphrey is gone after a very solid senior season.  Schmitz will get tested right away without the luxury of a proven starter.

IMO -- they are getting better QB prospects (of late) at ONU than they are at COW.  Maybe recruiting was the issue and not coaching..  We'll see in the fall.  Its going to be a big year for Coach Paul up at ONU.  He's had a couple of down years and had to shake things up somehow.
AMC Champs: 1991-1992-1993-1994-1995
HCAC Champs: 2000, 2001
PAC Champs:  2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
Bridge Bowl Champs:  1990-1991-1992-1993-1994-1995-2002-2003-2006-2008-2009-2010-2011-2012-2013 (SERIES OVER)
Undefeated: 1991, 1995, 2001, 2009, 2010, 2015
Instances where MSJ quit the Bridge Bowl:  2

Bishopleftiesdad

From The OAC board, Kira & Jaxon's Dad about the small college recruiting fair, held every year in Florida.:
Quote from: Kira & Jaxon's Dad on February 17, 2013, 09:53:57 PM
Took some players to the Small College Recruiting Fair today.  OAC schools in attendance:

Mount Union
ONU
Heidelberg
Marietta
BW

Also saw:
Ohio Weslyen
UWP
Hiram
Emory & Henry
Franklin
Averette

And a whole lot more.

Coach V. Kehres, Dart, Ely and Williamson were there for MTU.  First time I've seen VK there.
Good to see OWU recruiting down in Florida.

seinfeld

Wooster has hired an offensive coordinator. Very young. Was a really good QB at Dickinson, and spent last year at Villanova, who went to the playoffs.

http://www.villanova.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/mitchell_ian00.html

ExTartanPlayer

Quote from: seinfeld on February 18, 2013, 11:26:33 AM
Wooster has hired an offensive coordinator. Very young. Was a really good QB at Dickinson, and spent last year at Villanova, who went to the playoffs.

http://www.villanova.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/mitchell_ian00.html

Wow...very young indeed.  We didn't play Dickinson, but we played against a few teams that did and I actually remember watching this guy on tape.  Obviously being a good player is not a guarantee of being a good coach, but this kid could really play.
I was small but made up for it by being slow...

http://athletics.cmu.edu/sports/fball/2011-12/releases/20120629a4jaxa

wabashsid

Just a quick note for everyone. Pat Coleman will receive the Jake Wade Award from the College Sports Information Directors of America this June at the organization's annual convention in Orlando, Florida. The award is presented to a member of the media for their significant contributions in the field of intercollegiate athletics. A well-deserved award for the outstanding work Pat provides in the coverage of Division III student-athletes. I will be pleased to be able to congratulate him in person later this year, but thought I would pass this along. You can read more about the award here:

http://www.cosida.com/news.aspx?id=3977

nike

Quote from: FightinScot on February 13, 2013, 09:36:14 PM
I don't know.  Holter was fine.  You guys know I think Richard Barnes is outstanding.  I think Schmitz had a problem developing an offense around a quarterback.  He didn't do a great job of putting his guys in a position to be all that successful.

Well put. Schmitz was a pretty good QB coach, IMO. And while we don't need to get back into it, I think Barnes' problems were created by his work ethic and locker room demeanor, not because of his coaching. Hopefully he can get something good going at ONU.

FightinScot--are you saying Barnes' problems were caused by Barnes' work ethic and locker room demeanor or Schmitz's work ethic and locker room demeanor?  And are you saying that Barnes' problems were not coaching related?  Just not clear on who you are saying created the problems, Barnes or Schmitz.
Will be interesting to see how the qb situation plays out this fall at Wooster.

Pat Coleman

Quote from: wabashsid on February 27, 2013, 08:38:32 AM
Just a quick note for everyone. Pat Coleman will receive the Jake Wade Award from the College Sports Information Directors of America this June at the organization's annual convention in Orlando, Florida. The award is presented to a member of the media for their significant contributions in the field of intercollegiate athletics. A well-deserved award for the outstanding work Pat provides in the coverage of Division III student-athletes. I will be pleased to be able to congratulate him in person later this year, but thought I would pass this along. You can read more about the award here:

http://www.cosida.com/news.aspx?id=3977

Thanks for the post and for the support!
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

wally_wabash

Quote from: nike on March 02, 2013, 02:26:48 PM

FightinScot--are you saying Barnes' problems were caused by Barnes' work ethic and locker room demeanor or Schmitz's work ethic and locker room demeanor?  And are you saying that Barnes' problems were not coaching related?  Just not clear on who you are saying created the problems, Barnes or Schmitz.

I think the subtle undertones of a lot of Wooster posts in here in the last couple of years would seem to indicate that posters who follow the Scots feel that Barnes doesn't work as hard at this whole football thing as he should/could. 

Very unsubtly, many from the same flock were clearly underwhelmed by what Coach Schmitz had done post-Sutton (some fair, some a little less so, IMO). 

So I think the answer you're after is both.  It may be that Barnes isn't all football, all the time.  That I can't say for sure.  I think we're in agreement that Wooster's offensive scheme in recent seasons has not been particularly challenging for average or better defenses to get a hold of, which is on Schmitz.  Certainly, if the guy's heart isn't in it then you've got a problem, particularly at quarterback.  But again, I don't think he has been done any favors by the scheme he has been given to operate. 
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

FightinScot

Quote from: nike on March 02, 2013, 02:26:48 PM

I don't think there's one person you could point the finger at. I know that Barnes skipped out on his first two offseason workouts, almost in their entirety, based on what the rest of the team viewed as sham injuries or sickness. Seemed like he conveniently got hurt right before offseason workouts started, then made sure he rehabbed till the last minute. Clearly, I wasn't there, so I don't know to what extent this is perception or reality. Regardless, the overwhelming perception in the locker room was that the kid didn't buy in. The team was solidly behind Frongillo - he was a captain this past year, not Barnes. From what I've seen and heard, it was mainly because of the offseason workouts. I'd imagine it would be difficult to listen to someone who's been appointed a leader who didn't earn it. 

In one way or another, that comes back on coaching. Someone should have called him out (players, IMO) and gotten him in line. But the coaching staff shouldn't have rewarded the behavior, and especially when he wasn't performing. If there's anything that reflects on Schmitz, its that he had Barnes on too long of a leash and Frong on too short of one. Also, what we've debated over and over here, is that many people didn't agree with the playcalling. However, I was at the Kenyon game, and the 3rd string freshman QB was more impressive in the passing game than Barnes was fromt he times I saw him.

The QB situation will be interesting this coming year. Especially with Frongillo hanging up his pads (concussions). Hopefully the new staff can create a competition and get Barnes to play. There's no denying that he's a gifted athlete, and could flourish if he can improve his decision-making and passing ability.

FightinScot

Quote from: wally_wabash on March 04, 2013, 11:48:24 AM

So I think the answer you're after is both.  It may be that Barnes isn't all football, all the time.  That I can't say for sure.  I think we're in agreement that Wooster's offensive scheme in recent seasons has not been particularly challenging for average or better defenses to get a hold of, which is on Schmitz.  Certainly, if the guy's heart isn't in it then you've got a problem, particularly at quarterback.  But again, I don't think he has been done any favors by the scheme he has been given to operate.

Just saw this. Reminded me of the times when DK or Bubba Lang would call out our plays as we called audibles. That was always a great feeling  ::)

nike

Certainly agree that the freshman QB at Wooster had the best and most entertaining game that I saw from the quarterback position this year.  And certainly feel like I was disappointed in Barnes this past season, actually the past two seasons, after his freshman year.  Hoped against hope that he would improve like Chase Belton did at Wabash going into his sophomore and junior years.  I was in Barnes corner when he was a freshman no, question about it. In Hohl's one start he had a QB rating of 147!  16 of 20.  It would take guts, but if I was the new head football coach at Wooster, I would install Hohl as the starting quarterback from day one starting this spring. Like I said that will take real guts. But from what I saw last year I would put Hohl in as the starter.

wally_wabash

Quote from: FightinScot on March 04, 2013, 06:31:28 PM
Quote from: wally_wabash on March 04, 2013, 11:48:24 AM

Just saw this. Reminded me of the times when DK or Bubba Lang would call out our plays as we called audibles. That was always a great feeling  ::)

Good grief.  Those guys were probably tough enough without knowing what play y'all were running.  That's rough. 
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire