MBB: NEWMAC

Started by nehoops4life, March 03, 2005, 10:39:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Not that I want to wade into this, but you all might be surprised that the "wall" previous administrations invested in was more like "fencing." Yes, there are walls down there in some sections, but fencing is the biggest item.

Also, some of the land the wall should be built on is not US government property. Private land isn't going to just get handed over. That's something no one is talking about.

Anyway ... I feel bad for Coast Guard. Merchant Marine was in a tougher bind as technically they aren't allowed to be playing at all (that has happened in previous shutdowns). They are playing, so I am trying to determine what has changed. I probably should know the answer ... but it is escaping me right now.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

WUPHF

I think most who follow the story know about the wall.

I know less about the Merchant Marine Academy.  It would be interesting to know how many of their basketball players had any idea the Merchant Marine existed prior to being recruited.

WPI89

Not touching the wall discussion. 

Feel bad for the cadets all around.  We (WPI) had a game postponed against the Merchant Marines because of a shutdown when I was there - I think 1986 - I guess easy enough to look up.

Strong opinions on both sides - seems almost trivial though in the very big picture - hope it gets figured out quickly.

WUPHF

Quote from: WPI89 on January 18, 2019, 01:27:25 PM
Strong opinions on both sides - seems almost trivial though in the very big picture - hope it gets figured out quickly.

I could not agree more...let's fix Flint and a million other things first.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: WUPHF on January 18, 2019, 12:30:55 AM
I think most who follow the story know about the wall.

I know less about the Merchant Marine Academy.  It would be interesting to know how many of their basketball players had any idea the Merchant Marine existed prior to being recruited.

From what I've gathered I think a lot know about the school. Many who end up at merchant academies in general are interested in shipping and such. Certainly, I am sure there are a fair number of recruits who get interested from the recruiting, but like a lot of service academies and I am sure there is a good mixture of those who know and those who find out.

BTW Merchant Marine is playing because after the 2013 shutdown, the DOT reassessed things and decided that during a regular calendar they teams at USMMA were except from being shut down. That said, during a break they can be affected - they did have to postpone one set of games in early January, but have been playing ever since.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

WPI89

BaboNation

Babson goes toe to toe @ MIT for 40 minutes, but in the end MIT played smarter and with more poise and earned the OT victory (that's 3 straight NEWMAC regular season OT games against each other if you're scoring at home).
AJ Jurko returned after missing a few games (did I hear that correctly - STAPLES in the head?) and was immense.  He finished with 37.  Pippen (er, Jomard) "chipped in" with 25.  Roberts had a relatively quiet game until late, and the 4th musketeer, Forsythe added 10 while still rounding back into form.
If you just went by the box score as a Babson fan you could whine about a FT disparity (34-11), but the truth is there was no bias.  MIT took it inside and Babson relied on shooting a large number of 3 pointers.
Jaworski had a fallaway shot at the end of regulation to win it that rimmed out (after Jurko had tied it on a jab-step, step-back 3).
Babson will finish up the first half of the NEWMAC on the road at Emerson.  Things are taking shape now with MIT, Babson, WPI, and Emerson in the top half and Springfield, Wheaton, Coast Guard, and Clark rounding out the 2nd division.
MIT is still the cream of the crop, and they still don't have Korb back.  Wow.

rlk

Quote from: BaboNation on January 19, 2019, 06:14:30 PM
Babson goes toe to toe @ MIT for 40 minutes, but in the end MIT played smarter and with more poise and earned the OT victory (that's 3 straight NEWMAC regular season OT games against each other if you're scoring at home).
AJ Jurko returned after missing a few games (did I hear that correctly - STAPLES in the head?) and was immense.  He finished with 37.  Pippen (er, Jomard) "chipped in" with 25.  Roberts had a relatively quiet game until late, and the 4th musketeer, Forsythe added 10 while still rounding back into form.
If you just went by the box score as a Babson fan you could whine about a FT disparity (34-11), but the truth is there was no bias.  MIT took it inside and Babson relied on shooting a large number of 3 pointers.
Jaworski had a fallaway shot at the end of regulation to win it that rimmed out (after Jurko had tied it on a jab-step, step-back 3).
Babson will finish up the first half of the NEWMAC on the road at Emerson.  Things are taking shape now with MIT, Babson, WPI, and Emerson in the top half and Springfield, Wheaton, Coast Guard, and Clark rounding out the 2nd division.
MIT is still the cream of the crop, and they still don't have Korb back.  Wow.

The game was a barnburner (I was there and am currently going through my 2700-odd photos).  Babson's just plain really, really good, and I gather quite young.  Excellent ball movement and waiting patiently for the good shot.  Our Engineers had to give it their all.  We're going to see a lot from you guys before it's all over, I do believe.
MIT Course VI-3 1987 -- #RollTech

WPI89

Young. They figure it out.
Injuries. Next man up.
Keep rolling boys.
Strongest overall game in some time!

BaboNation

Babson couldn't quite dig out of a late hole @ Emerson.

This was a back and forth game til about 5 minutes left.  Then Emerson built up an 11 point lead with 1:49 to play and the game seemed over since Emerson was in the double bonus.
Babson started hitting from 3pt range with Coolahan and Oftring, and with 10 seconds left they grabbed a rebound with a chance to tie.  Jaworski probably needed another pass instead of launching his 3-pointer that hit iron.
Gray - probably the most anonymous star in New England - led the Lions as usual.  Houston gave them a lot in limited minutes.
So, the first half ends with MIT at 6-1, and WPI, Emerson, and Babson at 5-2.  One of these teams is probably going to end up playing Springfield in the 4/5 postseason first round game.

Side note:  Is there another D3 college that takes video production as seriously as Emerson?  They had 4 cameras working and provided timely replays.  Nice job.

rlk

Quote from: BaboNation on January 23, 2019, 09:45:29 PM
Side note:  Is there another D3 college that takes video production as seriously as Emerson?  They had 4 cameras working and provided timely replays.  Nice job.

Emerson is described (via Google) as "internationally recognized as the nation's premier institution of higher learning devoted to communication and the arts".  So yes, I'd expect them to take video production seriously :-)

amh63

rik.....a somewhat side issue post.  Based on the number of "photo shots" taken at the MIT game...is it a hobby or a professional interest?  I see that you were a Course VI-3 student at MIT.  Course VI  is ELectrical Engineering/Computer Sciences...but I'm ignorant of the dash 3 speciality.  I was in Course 13 but it became part of Course II..ME after I graduated. 

rlk

Quote from: amh63 on January 24, 2019, 05:10:11 PM
rik.....a somewhat side issue post.  Based on the number of "photo shots" taken at the MIT game...is it a hobby or a professional interest?  I see that you were a Course VI-3 student at MIT.  Course VI  is ELectrical Engineering/Computer Sciences...but I'm ignorant of the dash 3 speciality.  I was in Course 13 but it became part of Course II..ME after I graduated.

Hobby, although I certainly shoot a lot of games.  The back story is that I was manager of the team while I was at the tute (I have the size -- about 6'4" -- but as the saying goes I'm slow and can't jump; I once managed to dunk a volleyball).  Anyway, being involved with the team helped me get through some rough spots during my time, so this lets me give a little something back while also being something I enjoy.  There's a bit more to it; you can email me at alum.mit.edu if you care.

VI-3 is computer science.  In my era there were two majors in Course VI, VI-1 (EE) and VI-3 (CS).  There's now also a VI-2 (combination, but not double major), and apparently some other variants.

I think Course XIII was eliminated quite recently; there was a player this decade whom IIRC majored in it.

BaboNation

Quote from: rlk on January 24, 2019, 11:13:19 AM

Emerson is described (via Google) as "internationally recognized as the nation's premier institution of higher learning devoted to communication and the arts".  So yes, I'd expect them to take video production seriously :-)

Point taken.

They do a remarkable job with what they have to work with at that venue.  Given the price and availability of real estate in the heart of downtown Boston the gym has the minimum amount of square footage at court level.  I've never been inside, but based on the panoramic camera work there looks to be just 3 rows of seats on all sides of the court.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: BaboNation on January 25, 2019, 11:51:45 AM
Quote from: rlk on January 24, 2019, 11:13:19 AM

They didn't have any gym at all for a long time.  It's even more of a miracle they were able to carve one out of the basement without disrupting infrastructure.

Point taken.

They do a remarkable job with what they have to work with at that venue.  Given the price and availability of real estate in the heart of downtown Boston the gym has the minimum amount of square footage at court level.  I've never been inside, but based on the panoramic camera work there looks to be just 3 rows of seats on all sides of the court.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere