WBB: American Southwest Conference

Started by Pat Coleman, March 17, 2005, 02:27:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ralph Turner

The ASC needs the Cowgirls to get to the Final Four.

I hope that 2 weeks from tonight the Cowgirls will be thinking about how hard it was for the Cowgirls to get out of Texas! ;)

Travel safely! ;)

dsc

Thanks Ralph,

I lost my Internet stream with about 2 minutes to go...but I figured the Cowgirls would pull it off, even though the lead was only 5 or 7 points at the time!  Who would ever have "thunk" it. ???

The McM game was "tougher"...but HSU still had enough gas...for HPU.  Quite surprising!   Meia Daniels seemed to be an outstanding player.  I think the headlines on the HSU homepage a few days ago was something like how they had NO PLAYERS on the first team...so the team has come together!

Congratulations HSU Cowgirls.  Go West, young Women 8)
and make us all proud!  Good luck! ;D
HARDIN-SIMMONS UNIVERSITY: AN EDUCATION ENLIGHTENED BY FAITH.

calhsu

Wow, How about those Cowgirls.

What a difference a week makes.  The three top ASC teams each had their moments.  HPU had a great weekend in Abilene,  MCM had a confernce championship,  HSU is going to the sweet sixteen.  

PLU is a great team.  Washington is a long way from Texas.  I should know.  I went to high school in Washingto and went from there to HSU.
Several years ago HSU lost to PLU in the national tournament.

inthepaint

Congratulations to Shawna Briggs for taking yet another HSU team to the Sweet 16 bracket . . . at least! 

The ASC has been striving for a Final Four appearance for years.  Maybe this is the year!  If the collective cheers of the folks back home are all that's needed to go all the way then the Cowgirls are assured of winning it all!

What an amazing year!  The ASC has never (at least in my memory) had a season where there was such competition!  It's been great!

dballa

Just got back from Abilene, HPU came out with no intensity whatsoever through the whole game.  The only time they showed any heart in the game was when they were down by 15 and cut it to 3 in the 2nd half.  Other than that they didn't play like they even wanted to be there.

Congrats to HSU, represent well.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: inthepaint on March 04, 2006, 10:12:24 PM
Congratulations to Shawna Briggs for taking yet another HSU team to the Sweet 16 bracket . . . at least! 

The ASC has been striving for a Final Four appearance for years.  Maybe this is the year!  If the collective cheers of the folks back home are all that's needed to go all the way then the Cowgirls are assured of winning it all!

What an amazing year!  The ASC has never (at least in my memory) had a season where there was such competition!  It's been great!

Paint, I wonder if this is not the "battle-hardening" that has been missing in ASC teams once they get to the playoffs.

The ASC-West has been very hard  (McM, HSU, HPU and UMHB especially), and Mississippi College was very tough in interdivisional play.

If this only makes us ASC Teams better, then we need this every year!

I probably speak for the great majority of fans.  Yeah, we wish we were there, but for the sake of the conference, good luck and Go Cowgirls!

inthepaint

Ralph, I believe you may be right in your assessment!

I rememberr last season when we wondered if HSU had slipped a couple of notches or if other ASC teams had stepped things up.  The conclusion was that the latter was more likely than the former.

This season, in my opinion, demonstrated that the calibre of teams playing in the ASC, especially, but not exclusively, in the West, has improved dramatically.  It was anyone's game on virtually any night.  McM was incredible all year long.  HPU again this season showed they were a serious contender and a force to be reckoned with.  HSU, again in my opionion, snuck through the back door into this postseason play.  They have obviouisly played well enough to prove they belonged in the tournament but, nevertheless, they did not win their way in!

Glad they are there and I'm glad they are heading West to play the next round.  This may just be the year that they go to the Final Four . . . and maybe, just maybe, beyond!

Ralph Turner

Paint, I am not sure how good Pac Lutheran is.

They played some NAIA's from the Cascade Conference, plus NAIA Montana Tech.

http://www.cascadeconference.org/postseason/2006wbxplayoffs.htm

They did defeat Concorida Moorhead and Chapman, both of which made the first round of the Dance!

http://www.d3hoops.com/school_info.php?school=Pacific%20Lutheran&team=w

They have size; I wonder if they have quickness.

http://www.plu.edu/~athletic/wbball/roster.html

And they have home court advantage.

Go Cowgirls!  You can do it!

Ralph Turner

fanstand

I'm not feeling it...take away my karma, call me a baby,a sore loser, whatever....I wanted us to be there. I don't care who wins at this point. The committees who be, that set us up to play three teams in the same conference again, it just doesn't seem right, in the name of money or whatever. I'm just being honest. I guarantee if McM had won, a lot of HSU and HPU fans would be feeling the same way, they may not put it out there but they wouldn't be rooting for us to win. Sorry but I HATE losing especially to HSU. Give me some time and I'll get over it........(I'll probably lose my spot on the All mom's list)

Ralph Turner

That's okay, fanstand.  Losing is tough. 

I suggest that you talk to your gynecologist.  ;) :D

I really hope that HSU doesn't choke!  That would be really bad.  I would have felt the same pressure if McMurry had choked in the Sectionals.

The nagging unanswered question that can only be answered by HSU is whether we play Final Four quality basketball in the ASC-West.  If HSU gets there, if HSU wins the National Championship, then we know how close we are and how much work we have to do in the off-season to unseat the National Champions.

This is just the next step that LIB needs to take.  More work in the off-season, a good recruiting class and working on weights and conditioning.

We have a good pre-conference schedule next year, and the Tourney will be on the West.

GO L.I.B.!!!

#1fan

One thing I keep wondering about...and if NCAA gave any thought to was that HSU lost first round and MCM had to play two more very hard fought ball games that weekend.  HPU lost 2nd round leaving MCM to play one more than they did.  Although this does not sound like a lot but 3 games in 3 days does take a toll on these young girls mental and physical health.  Give credit to Austin, ETBU and UMHB they gave us great games but I still think it put us at a disadvantage coming into this tournament.  

One other comment regarding Tara not getting player of the year...someone suggested that MCM had other players who could step up and score but I believe HPU has several other very good players also.  By having Tara and people concentrating on her it helped us to open up the three point game which in turn helped take some of the pressure off of her.  Although Meia is a great player I beleive Tara was more of an impact player.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: #1fan on March 05, 2006, 08:10:28 PM
One thing I keep wondering about...and if NCAA gave any thought to was that HSU lost first round and MCM had to play two more very hard fought ball games that weekend.  HPU lost 2nd round leaving MCM to play one more than they did.  Although this does not sound like a lot but 3 games in 3 days does take a toll on these young girls mental and physical health.  Give credit to Austin, ETBU and UMHB they gave us great games but I still think it put us at a disadvantage coming into this tournament.  

One other comment regarding Tara not getting player of the year...someone suggested that MCM had other players who could step up and score but I believe HPU has several other very good players also.  By having Tara and people concentrating on her it helped us to open up the three point game which in turn helped take some of the pressure off of her.  Although Meia is a great player I beleive Tara was more of an impact player.

#1 fan, I think that the ASC-Tourney win was what earned McM the Texas sub-bracket!

I think that the HSU loss to ETBU was what knocked the Cowgirls off their high horse..."We are HSU Cowgirls!  Now are you going to roll over and lose?  Or do I have to go and get my hair sweaty?" ;)

Sonya West alluded to a team meeting that they had.  That may have been the best thing that could have happened.

If HSU continues to play with that ferocity, then we ASC fans can judge how good they are.  Our provincial nature is inclined to think that "we are the best teams in the country!" whether that is true or not.

But if HSU was able to take it to that level, playing the 2 teams in the country that they would like to beat most, then we know what it takes to win it all.

dsc

Quote from: fanstand on March 05, 2006, 07:47:58 PM
I'm not feeling it...take away my karma, call me a baby,a sore loser, whatever....I wanted us to be there. I don't care who wins at this point. The committees who be, that set us up to play three teams in the same conference again, it just doesn't seem right, in the name of money or whatever. I'm just being honest. I guarantee if McM had won, a lot of HSU and HPU fans would be feeling the same way, they may not put it out there but they wouldn't be rooting for us to win. Sorry but I HATE losing especially to HSU. Give me some time and I'll get over it........(I'll probably lose my spot on the All mom's list)

Fanstand, surely you know that losing to McMurry hurts HSU fans as much as the other way around. :(

What was to be...is!

I realize there are not too many HSU fans posting on these boards...most of the season it has been McM fans posting...so it is up to me!!!

Of course I want HSU to win it all, but just to get to the Sweet Sixteen...perhaps to the Elite Eight...or further...would be wonderful!  But for a team that had NO PLAYERS on the first team ALL ASC...I have to say that I am proud of the Cowgirls.

Everyone gets upset and disappointed because the HSU Cowgirls have not gone to the FINAL FOUR, even though they have been in the "dance" 7 of the last 8 years!  Well, I'm sorry, but that is pretty good to me!!!  In fact, it is outstanding!  And I am proud of the Purple and Gold!  Don't think I am gloating...too old for that!  Just wanted to prepare everyone to not complain if the Cowgirls don't make it all the way!!!

#1Fan makes some good points!  And if eveyone will recall...I was one of the first that acknowledged that HSU may have been selected to "complete the foursome"...but again, that's life.  Who knows, the Cowgirls have EARNED the right to be where they are now!

Go ASC...it was a fun year!  ...and might get BETTER! ;)

HARDIN-SIMMONS UNIVERSITY: AN EDUCATION ENLIGHTENED BY FAITH.

inthepaint

Quote from: fanstand on March 05, 2006, 07:47:58 PM
I'm not feeling it...take away my karma, call me a baby,a sore loser, whatever....I wanted us to be there. I don't care who wins at this point.

I guarantee if McM had won, a lot of HSU and HPU fans would be feeling the same way, they may not put it out there but they wouldn't be rooting for us to win. Sorry but I HATE losing especially to HSU. Give me some time and I'll get over it........(I'll probably lose my spot on the All mom's list)

I'm not taking away any karma points.  In fact, I'm giving you another one!  :D

You still ought to care about who wins, though.  Wouldn't it be nice to say you were knocked out of the tournament by the team that ultimately won it all?  Wouldn't it be nice to speak of the ASC as the conference that turned out the National Champs?

As to your guarantee, I don't think there would be a lot of HSU fans who would not be cheering for McM.  I have a lot of confidence in my fellow HSU-backers.  I think for the most part they/we are a classy bunch!  ::)

I don't blame you for hating to lose to HSU.  For years they have been the team to beat!McM had them this season and then lost to them when it mattered most.  It's just the same song, next verse, or deja vu all over again!

Finally, Ralph, your advise for this dear, sweet woman was a classic!