Pool B

Started by Ralph Turner, October 01, 2005, 02:12:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

desertcat1

Quote from: cludad on October 15, 2012, 07:16:33 PM
Where does Willamette fit in if they lose to Linfield only ,they would be 9-1?

forget that after yesterday DAD. :'(  it's back to the Catdome again .. :-*
" If you are going to be a bear, be a Grizzly"

C.W. Smith

smedindy

Ron, CMU lost to OWU, so they're 5-2 and tumble out of serious contention unless anarchy strikes.

Ron Boerger

Quote from: smedindy on October 21, 2012, 12:42:16 PM
Ron, CMU lost to OWU, so they're 5-2 and tumble out of serious contention unless anarchy strikes.

Corrected, Smed - thanks.

SUADC

Quote from: desertcat1 on October 21, 2012, 11:26:49 AM

If Willamette goes 9-1, they'll definitely be in the playoffs and that depends on if they beat Linfield. However, at 8-2 and a loss to Pac Lutheran, which in my opinion is not a bad loss they'll maybe take that trip to Cal Lutheran or to UMHB (if they get a Pool C) and some other West team travels to the Catdome. Maybe second round, but who knows, last year Linfield traveled across the country to Dover and Redlands went to Belton.

Just looking at the NWC, they may get three teams in the playoffs if Willamette wins out and Pacific Lutheran Wins out, and Linfield only loss is to Willamette. This makes up an interesting next couple of weeks.

wally_wabash

Quote from: SUADC on October 22, 2012, 09:28:43 AM
Quote from: desertcat1 on October 21, 2012, 11:26:49 AM

If Willamette goes 9-1, they'll definitely be in the playoffs and that depends on if they beat Linfield. However, at 8-2 and a loss to Pac Lutheran, which in my opinion is not a bad loss they'll maybe take that trip to Cal Lutheran or to UMHB (if they get a Pool C) and some other West team travels to the Catdome. Maybe second round, but who knows, last year Linfield traveled across the country to Dover and Redlands went to Belton.

Just looking at the NWC, they may get three teams in the playoffs if Willamette wins out and Pacific Lutheran Wins out, and Linfield only loss is to Willamette. This makes up an interesting next couple of weeks.

We're swimming in Pool B, so just so everything is clear, Willamette would be a Pool C team for at-large consideration. 

If Willamette gets to 9-1, they'll have beaten Linfield and will most likely qualify via Pool A.  If they lose to Linfield and end up at 8-2, they're going to be in line behind a 2-loss PLU, unless the world has lost its mind. 

Willamette knocking Linfield into Pool C (they'd be certain to be selected) does invite the possibility of three NWC teams making the field, however, the West is very deep with strong at-large teams and PLU's second loss will keep them off the table for a while.    My guess is that three NWC teams would be unlikely, but certainly not out of the realm of possibility given the attrition that is happening around the D3 at-large pools. 
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

d-train

Quote from: wally_wabash on October 22, 2012, 11:39:08 AM
We're swimming in Pool B, so just so everything is clear, Willamette would be a Pool C team for at-large consideration. 

If Willamette gets to 9-1, they'll have beaten Linfield and will most likely qualify via Pool A.  If they lose to Linfield and end up at 8-2, they're going to be in line behind a 2-loss PLU, unless the world has lost its mind. 

Willamette knocking Linfield into Pool C (they'd be certain to be selected) does invite the possibility of three NWC teams making the field, however, the West is very deep with strong at-large teams and PLU's second loss will keep them off the table for a while.  My guess is that three NWC teams would be unlikely, but certainly not out of the realm of possibility given the attrition that is happening around the D3 at-large pools.

Unless PLU becomes the Pool A with a Willamette win over Linfield?  I'm not sure how the NWC three-way tiebreaker works...I think they go with overall record (hurts PLU) before the Rose Bowl rule (which would give the bid to PLU).

But, yes, any remaining NWC teams would be considered for a Pool C bid (not Pool B).  Sorry to add to muddy waters on that side of things.

smedindy

Welp, I think "B" is settled now with Wesley's win. Huntingdon, Centre and Millsaps now fighting for their lives for a "C" and CMU is totally knocked out.

K-Mack

Quote from: smedindy on October 27, 2012, 05:09:37 PM
Welp, I think "B" is settled now with Wesley's win. Huntingdon, Centre and Millsaps now fighting for their lives for a "C" and CMU is totally knocked out.

Yes. With two weeks to play, and Wesley with zero D-III opponents left. And a bye week before a playoff game ... perhaps unintentional, yet useful.
Former author, Around the Nation ('01-'13)
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Voter, Top 25/Play of the Week/Gagliardi Trophy/Liberty Mutual Coach of the Year
Nastradamus, Triple Take
and one of the two voices behind the sonic #d3fb nerdery that is the ATN Podcast.

Mr. Ypsi

Pat had a cryptic comment on the NEFC board, to the effect of Pool B will be alright in 2013, but probably tough in 2014.  I assume he was referring to movement of teams in and out of the pool in those years, but I've lost track of who is going where.  Can someone elaborate on pool B's upcoming membership?

bman

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on November 19, 2012, 02:05:44 PM
Pat had a cryptic comment on the NEFC board, to the effect of Pool B will be alright in 2013, but probably tough in 2014.  I assume he was referring to movement of teams in and out of the pool in those years, but I've lost track of who is going where.  Can someone elaborate on pool B's upcoming membership?
He was referring to the MASCAC conference.  They will have to wait 2 years for a Pool A.  All of those teams (which are bottom feeders from other weak conferences) will be Pool B teams for 2 years...clearly the conference winner will be in the running for a Pool B...
Given that it's acknowledged as a very weak conference, if someone runs the board(I think Pat is referencing Western Conn coming out of the NJAC), it might potentially eliminate a "deserving" pool B (Wesley, Huntingdon etc...)
Since there are teams forming this conference that are getting Pool C invites (to most everyone's dismay), this has the potential to disrupt Pool B greatly...

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: bman on November 19, 2012, 02:36:40 PM
Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on November 19, 2012, 02:05:44 PM
He was referring to the MASCAC conference.  They will have to wait 2 years for a Pool A.  All of those teams (which are bottom feeders from other weak conferences) will be Pool B teams for 2 years...clearly the conference winner will be in the running for a Pool B...
Given that it's acknowledged as a very weak conference, if someone runs the board(I think Pat is referencing Western Conn coming out of the NJAC), it might potentially eliminate a "deserving" pool B (Wesley, Huntingdon etc...)
Since there are teams forming this conference that are getting Pool C invites (to most everyone's dismay), this has the potential to disrupt Pool B greatly...

Yeah, I knew it was in the context of MASCAC teams being added to the pool B pool, but why the difference between 2013 and 2014?

Pat Coleman

I believe the SAA would qualify for an AQ in 2014, pulling seven teams out of Pool B and potentially making it a one-bid pool.

My point is that in 2013, the MASCAC will add seven schools to Pool B but might not be a threat to take a bid. Also, in 2014 Case and Carnegie Mellon join the PAC as affiliate members. So Pool B in 2014 could be the MASCAC, Wesley, Macalester, Trinity/Texas Lutheran/Austin College/Southwestern, Wash U/Chicago. It's going to take about 18 or 19 schools to get two Pool B slots in the playoffs and 2014 is going to be short, I think.

Huntingdon joins the USA South next year.

Ralph may remember moves I'm blanking on.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: Pat Coleman on November 19, 2012, 04:47:07 PM
I believe the SAA would qualify for an AQ in 2014, pulling seven teams out of Pool B and potentially making it a one-bid pool.

My point is that in 2013, the MASCAC will add seven schools to Pool B but might not be a threat to take a bid. Also, in 2014 Case and Carnegie Mellon join the PAC as affiliate members. So Pool B in 2014 could be the MASCAC, Wesley, Macalester, Trinity/Texas Lutheran/Austin College/Southwestern, Wash U/Chicago. It's going to take about 18 or 19 schools to get two Pool B slots in the playoffs and 2014 is going to be short, I think.

Thanks, Pat - I knew I could count on you (and/or Ralph) to come through!

One further question - if a school joins an existing AQ conference are they immediately eligible for the AQ (conference rules permitting), or is there an NCAA waiting period?

Ralph Turner

I think that you have them.  Pat, I appreciate your insight into the application of the Pool by-laws to the MASCAC situation.

Is it 2015 when Wash U and Chicago affiliate with the SAA?

I have not seen Finlandia's progress, but I guess that they have suspended adding football.

ExTartanPlayer

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on November 19, 2012, 05:47:21 PM

Thanks, Pat - I knew I could count on you (and/or Ralph) to come through!

One further question - if a school joins an existing AQ conference are they immediately eligible for the AQ (conference rules permitting), or is there an NCAA waiting period?

I don't think there's an NCAA waiting period, but I do think most conferences have a year or two wait, as you alluded to.
I was small but made up for it by being slow...

http://athletics.cmu.edu/sports/fball/2011-12/releases/20120629a4jaxa