FB: New England Small College Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 04:58:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The truth 101 and 12 Guests are viewing this topic.

IslandTime

Quote from: amh63 on September 15, 2019, 10:56:40 AM
IslandTime...glad you got pass Dorian and got to Middletown!  Checked the Wes site.  Having cheerleaders helps the home crowd :). Just kidding.  Saw that Williams' soccer teams were playing nearby...adds to the atmosphere/crowd.  Assume you will be up for the Amherst vs Wes Homecoming game.  Drop by my class tent or the Cage afterwards to say hi and meet my family..finally.  Plenty of goodies to be found :).  Till then...may both teams meet undefeated!
Will definitely seek you out Amh63 when Wes travels up for the Amherst HC.  Have thoroughly enjoyed your contributions to this site since my oldest became a Lord Jeff and then almost immediately a Mammoth LOL  :-X

So besides Wesleyan's game against Colby yesterday, Wes's freshman class got to also enjoy a scrimmage today against Bridgeport Prep. Tons of valuable reps for the young Cardinal first years and a few upper class men that filled in the gaps. Was a great weekend of football.

My oldest was able to participate his freshman year at Amherst 3 years ago in what were labeled "JV" games against both Williams and Wesleyan. His first solo tackle as a Lord.....Mammoth against Williams resulted in a completely dislocated pinky. He came off the field...Coach Bussard popped it back in place and sent him back on the field. Finger better.....but now with nausea due to seeing his fingers pointed in directions he didn't know possible.

Ahhhhh..... ya gotta love football !!!

I believe Williams and Amherst no longer wanted to continue the Little 3 "JV" games so Coach DiCenzo has found a couple willing schools close to Middletown. I think this is a great thing for the development and confidence of the young players who are working hard but won't see much field time during real games for a year or two.

nescac1

I hope we don't have another situation with a parent bashing a kid at his/her son's position.  In all events it's pretty ridiculous in this case, I mean, come on!  Eberth is legit.

lumbercat

NESCAC 1

Couldn't agree more....where did that come from.

Eberth made some mistakes but made big plays needed to secure the win for Amherst.
And if that poster thinks Eberth is on his own in play selection he doesn't know EJ Mills.

NBC93

WRT the Amherst run game, there is more to it than a RB. I think Nate Richam-Odoi's numbers from Sarurday can attest to that. Some consider him to be the best RB in the league. He was held to 60 yards.

The Mammoths lost 3 or 4 Senior Offensive Linemen and, I believe, a Junior transferred. They have a few fresh faces at several offensive positions and they still rushed for 157yds on the day. There was at least 1 run of 10+yds by 3 ball carriers and the screen pass was good for 14+ per attempt.

My concerns are not with personnel, however biased I may be, but with current execution which may be expected in the first game. I would certainly suggest Eberth not pull the ball so often to run it himself on that option. It is effective, but risky to have him run so much. He is too good to lose to injury. And it looked like he did get shaken up once last game.

The only other thing that is concerning is the rush between the tackles didnt seem to be there. Consistent gains of 2 or 3 yards but that won't be enough to keep teams honest at the LOS. That may be where Hickey is most missed.

I have confidence that the coaches and players will get the run game tweaked.
Dad out.

Hawk196

Huge win for Tufts yesterday, probably no 4-peat for Trinity. Haven't beat them since 2007 and lowest point output since '95 for Trinity.

....and no one talks about it on a NESCAC football board. I understand the Trinity fans/posters (painful loss), but are there any Tufts posters.

After my son's highschool games, the national HS board would be lit up, even the Ivy board has post game discussions(and they are grumpy old men for the most part)

What gives? Are there other sites to checkout? Nothing but NESCAC (NBN) didn't have a preview of Tufts season(and Hamilton) and nothing after yesterday's game.....

P.S. - twitter highlights https://twitter.com/i/status/1173600792575561729

PolarCat

Quote from: nescac1 on September 15, 2019, 10:09:50 PM
I hope we don't have another situation with a parent bashing a kid at his/her son's position.  In all events it's pretty ridiculous in this case, I mean, come on!  Eberth is legit.

How does someone ("AmDad") even post as a Guest, without a post count?  (Unless Pat banned him immediately after posting?)

Too reminiscent of a couple years back when one particular poster had a kid who did not get the QB reps dad felt he was entitled to, and spent a whole season bashing the head coach and throwing the starter under the bus.  I thought / hoped / prayed we'd seen the last of that behavior around here.

JEFFFAN

Quote from: Hawk196 on September 16, 2019, 10:33:08 AM
Huge win for Tufts yesterday, probably no 4-peat for Trinity. Haven't beat them since 2007 and lowest point output since '95 for Trinity.

....and no one talks about it on a NESCAC football board. I understand the Trinity fans/posters (painful loss), but is there any Tufts posters.

After my son's highschool games, the national HS board would be lit up, even the Ivy board has post game discussions(and they are grumpy old men for the most part)

What gives? Are there other sites to checkout? Nothing but NESCAC (NBN) didn't have a preview of Tufts season(and Hamilton) and nothing after yesterday's game.....

P.S. - twitter highlights https://twitter.com/i/status/1173600792575561729

Yes, the Trinity followers have been I guess understandably quiet after the loss on Saturday.  I watched the end of the game and was very impressed with thee toughness of Tufts, no pun intended.   That last sack was a terrific play after Trinity had valiantly marched down with a chance to steal a win.  Stats were remarkably similar - neither team crushed it offensively as they both gained 280 yards for the game - which surprises me given everything Trinity brought back offensively.  Testament to very good defense by Tufts.   Difference was likely the two turnovers on the part of Trinity with none for Tufts.  Didn't realize that it was the first win over the Bantams in 12 years - very impressive.

Re Bowdoin vs Hamilton, I have been emailing with a good friend from Bowdoin that Bears fans have to once again be patient.   This is a new rebuild that is starting, not the continuation of the former rebuild.   I like Hammer's background - he is a winner - but it is going to take him a few classes of recruits to really put a stamp on the program.   Year one of a new rebuild and more important year one of new recruits coming in.    That will ultimately tell the tale.

To the Ephs posters ... are you worried about the offense?   Just didn't look very dynamic this past weekend.   I guess that injuries are just crushing them, which I am not sure I understand too well other than misfortune.

Season has started, folks, so if you saw a game in person or via streaming, speak up!   That is why we all visit this site.

NBC93

True true. Speak up.

I also want to add to my general thoughts on the Amherst v. Bates game. As an Amherst dad I'm focused on what Amherst is doing well, and can do better.

But I want to give some credit to Bates. I said at halftime that the tie was no fluke. Last year the Bobcats conceded more rushing yards than any other defense. This time around it definitely seems like Bates is bringing more to the table as they are getting more familiar with new schemes. Props to Coach Hall and the Bobcats. The CAC is better when every team is improving and competing at the highest level.

nescac1

As for Williams, I think it's very fair to worry about the offense.  Especially considering that Middlebury is not likely to be a top-tier defense in the conference, and Tufts sure as heck looks like they will be.

The coaches were trying a lot of formation gimmicks (two QB sets, FB splitting wide, etc. etc.)  to make things happen which is not a great sign so early in the season.  I thought Williams would be absolutely loaded on offense this year.  But then three sophomore WRs who saw varsity action did not return for this season (not sure if gone for good from program or not), so the position is perilously thin.  One of the starting WRs who adds a lot to the offense as a running option did not play.  The top two TBs did not play on Saturday even though one was listed as the game starter (no idea what the story is there, either). Burke, another key weapon on offense who was listed as a starter for the game, also did not play.  One senior OL starter did not return for his last season.  Two other projected starters on the line are injured, at least one of them out for the year, not sure how serious the starting center's injury is.  At least one (maybe two?) frosh were playing on the OL Saturday.  Basically, right now, Williams is just down too many guys.  The Ephs critically need Dozier and Burke back, I'd say.  Stola is an elite weapon on offense, but he can't do it alone.  Williams needs more guys out there who can break big plays.  Clearly with a bunch of unexpected turnover the offensive line is still a work in progress, as well.   

Hawk196

With the win yesterday (vs an expected loss to Trinity), I'm excited for the season. But with a senior playing ball, his games take priority. So I'll be able to go to only the Wesleyan game this year.

I was worried about the 1st 3 games with a 100% new Oline, but after reading a thread about Williams injuries so far this year. Next week looks doable for the Jumbos. The following week against Amherst.....one week at a time!

Pat Coleman

Quote from: PolarCat on September 16, 2019, 10:37:12 AM
Quote from: nescac1 on September 15, 2019, 10:09:50 PM

How does someone ("AmDad") even post as a Guest, without a post count?  (Unless Pat banned him immediately after posting?)

Too reminiscent of a couple years back when one particular poster had a kid who did not get the QB reps dad felt he was entitled to, and spent a whole season bashing the head coach and throwing the starter under the bus.  I thought / hoped / prayed we'd seen the last of that behavior around here.

I didn't ban him. He must have unregistered after realizing his faux pas.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Trin9-0

Nobody want's to hear from me until Trinity loses a game then everyone is clamoring for a response, haha! ;D

First of all, congratulations to my former teammate Jay Civetti on a huge win for the Jumbos. It had to feel good to finally get a win against his alma mater. I was surprised the Bantams struggled to run the ball (averaged just 3.6 yard per carry) but the real story of the game was Trinity's inability to convert on third down (2 of 15), YUCK!

Lambert was sacked just prior to Vazanno entering the game very late in the fourth quarter. Not sure if it was injury related or if they had just seen enough. In my opinion Trinity didn't take enough shots down the field. Their receiving corps is so talented that even a contested ball is a good bet. They almost pulled off a win (that they didn't really deserve) at the very end, and I wish they had repeated the jump-ball play to Girard. Oh well...

Trin should get a nice bounce-back win Saturday in The Coop against Bowdoin before hitting the road again to take on, what appears to be, a solid Middlebury squad. Devanney did an excellent job last year using the loss to Williams as a teaching moment and it propelled the Bants to another championship season. Perhaps they can do it again this year in the likely event that Tufts stumbles somewhere along the way.
NESCAC CHAMPIONS: 1974, 1978, 1980, 1983, 1987, 1991, 1993, 1996, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2008, 2012, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2022, 2023
UNDEFEATED SEASONS: 1911, 1915, 1934, 1949, 1954, 1955, 1993, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2008, 2012, 2016, 2022

bantamweight

Quote from: Hawk196 on September 16, 2019, 10:33:08 AM

....and no one talks about it on a NESCAC football board. I understand the Trinity fans/posters (painful loss), but is there any Tufts posters.

The difference in that game was two things. Tufts OL dominated and Trinity did not get much smart QB play.

Nescacman

Quote from: nescac1 on September 16, 2019, 11:10:52 AM
As for Williams, I think it's very fair to worry about the offense.  Especially considering that Middlebury is not likely to be a top-tier defense in the conference, and Tufts sure as heck looks like they will be.

The coaches were trying a lot of formation gimmicks (two QB sets, FB splitting wide, etc. etc.)  to make things happen which is not a great sign so early in the season.  I thought Williams would be absolutely loaded on offense this year.  But then three sophomore WRs who saw varsity action did not return for this season (not sure if gone for good from program or not), so the position is perilously thin.  One of the starting WRs who adds a lot to the offense as a running option did not play.  The top two TBs did not play on Saturday even though one was listed as the game starter (no idea what the story is there, either). Burke, another key weapon on offense who was listed as a starter for the game, also did not play.  One senior OL starter did not return for his last season.  Two other projected starters on the line are injured, at least one of them out for the year, not sure how serious the starting center's injury is.  At least one (maybe two?) frosh were playing on the OL Saturday.  Basically, right now, Williams is just down too many guys.  The Ephs critically need Dozier and Burke back, I'd say.  Stola is an elite weapon on offense, but he can't do it alone.  Williams needs more guys out there who can break big plays.  Clearly with a bunch of unexpected turnover the offensive line is still a work in progress, as well.   

Nescac1, this seems to be a yearly trend in Willytown, especially since HCOF Raymond took control of the program from the HCOF who shall not be named. Coach Raymond must be running some sort of tough practices up there in the purple mountains...every year, way too many injuries and not enough depth. Bad combo...

nescac1

Nescacman, I'm assuming all the missing guys are injured but that may not entirely be the case ... perhaps there are other reasons players are missing time (of course injury seems the most likely explanation, but it's not easy to find out in D3).  Even if guys have been injured, I seriously doubt it has anything to do with how Raymond runs practices (although again, I guess anything is possible).  Injuries happen in football, and last season (and so far this season) the Ephs' have had more than their fair share of injuries to star players, but I don't think it's a long-term enough trend to suggest it's anything beyond a statistically-plausible aberration.  Williams has been gradually building up the program depth, but is still a bit shy of a 75-man roster, which is where you want to be.  Starting next year, I doubt that will ever be the case again.  Fingers crossed we see a few guys next week who weren't able to take the field vs. Middlebury. 

Speaking of depth, pretty amazing that Tufts, with five new lineman, could control the line of scrimmage against Trinity.  A testament to the depth of talent Civetti has clearly built!  I won't doubt Tufts again ...