FB: Commonwealth Coast Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 04:57:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

waggle09

All u past Framingham State alumni, give it a rest. You are all over this coach sullivan and this web site should be about positive imput about the NEFC conference. Key games this week: Me maritime @BSC and endicott vs. Fitchburgh. I was surprised at the outcome of Fitchburgh vs. BSC.  Also Curry will walk through their conference no comp. other than maybe Endicott. Running backs will be featured in Me Maritime vs. BSC. Me. will have to use ball control to win this one..... Bsc may be able to score to many pts. REMEMBER I stated 3 weeks ago that no one would go undefeated in Bogan Div. although Fitchburgh one a big one last week..........

63Center

After looking at the NEFC weekly Offensive and Defensive Players of the week and the Honorable mentions, I have come to the conclusion that there should be a weekly Offensive Lineman award.  The only guys ever listed on the weekly award are QBs and Running Backs.  How would any of them get over 100 yards/game without the linemen in front of them. Yet the linemen get nothing.  Occasionally a defensive lineman will get recogniztion for some tackling. but nothing for the O line.  I think each person posting here should nominate their O-lineman of the week each Sun. or Monday.  At least it would take our minds of Sully and why he must go.

waggle09

I agree that the offensive lineman as well as D line do not get recognized. I saw a very good Oline player from Worcester state this year.and an awsome Dline man from BSC. I have seen some outstanding LB's from Westfield and Fitchburgh..

rrobb1055

Quote from: waggle09 on October 03, 2005, 03:19:35 PM
All u past Framingham State alumni, give it a rest. You are all over this coach sullivan and this web site should be about positive imput about the NEFC conference. Key games this week: Me maritime @BSC and endicott vs. Fitchburgh. I was surprised at the outcome of Fitchburgh vs. BSC.  Also Curry will walk through their conference no comp. other than maybe Endicott. Running backs will be featured in Me Maritime vs. BSC. Me. will have to use ball control to win this one..... Bsc may be able to score to many pts. REMEMBER I stated 3 weeks ago that no one would go undefeated in Bogan Div. although Fitchburgh one a big one last week..........

You were suprised by the Fitchburg beating BSC???  I have seen Westfield, BSC and Fitchburg play.  I saw Fitchburg play Curry and thought they are going to win the whole thing.  I saw Fitchburg play Westfield and thought they will win the whole.  I saw BSC play Framingham and thought Fitchburg is going to win the whole thing.  I saw Westfield play Worcester State and thought Fitchburg is going to win the whole thing.  The thing is Fitchburg isn't even at full strength.  I talked to a friend of mine who plays at BSC.  He said that the defense beat them up.  Westfield went through the same thing.. The defense beat them up and you could tell at the Worcester game that the owls weren't the same team that played Fitchburg.  I also heard that Fitchburg isn't even at full strength.  They have some key players hurt.  They should be playing this week...  Maine Maritime has a difficult game this weekend.  Especially since BSC is wounded from all the trash talking they did with Fitchburg.  Then Fitchburg has to pick up the pieces of Maine Maritime.  Endicott could beat Curry... Curry is having some growing pains.  This week I hope to catch WNEC and MIT or Curry and Endicott.  All depends  where my ride can take me.

Pat Coleman

63center,

No reason a school can't be a little creative and nominate its offensive line for the conference honor roll. Pretty sure Fitchburg State got its O-line honored that way a couple years ago.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

br7o7wn

I am all for a "lineman of the week" award!!! Offensive lineman never get the recognition they deserve, and most DLinemen go unnoticed as well. How many times does a DT fight through double and triple teams only to post maybe 3 or 4 tackles and nobody gives him so much as a pat on the back?? Let's get a Lineman of the Week!!!

Pat Coleman

I can vouch for D-linemen getting underrecognized on conference honor rolls. For a long time we wouldn't get enough nominations for Team of the Week on D-line (it's gotten better since I emphasized it to SIDs), and when that happens I go through conference players of the week to get extra nominations. Those awards almost always go to linebackers with tons of tackles or d-backs with a couple picks.

That's a fundamental reason why we do the Team of the Week the way we do, to recognize all positions, not just the ones with gaudy stats. But still, we get 10-12 quarterback nominations for one spot and 5-6 defensive line nominations for 3-4 spots.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

RunNShoot

the fitchburg/bsc score this week was a suprise.  I though bsc would have won that game.  I also heard Kavey was pretty banged up.

To the Framingham situation,
I think that team has a young group of good players and is building.  They do have 2 wins this year, and a win is a win is a win.  As long as their young nucleus stays together they'll only get better.  Lots of potential there.

I don't know what is up with Westfield either.  I thought they had a great D and poor offense until the Worcester game.

And could ME Maritime be the sleeper team of the year?

Just some topics for discussion, trying to add some good topics to the board.

bearyear

crazy man if you followed the bsc vs fitchburg game you would know that early in the game bsc lost two crucial players in the first quarter. one of them being a dlinemen who had 7 solo tackles in the time he played alone. also you would have noticed that in the 4 th the bears defense shutdown the falcons offense on every occasion followed by the bears offense putting up 2 tds.after a huge int by the bears, they were only down by 7 with about 5 min to go in the game... all of a sudden the score board shuts off...what is that???? the refs did a horrible job in this game giving bsc nothing but the short end of the stick... this game should be under protest...as for trash talking...fitchburg has the least sportsmanship in the league.

gullgrad

My friend has a brother that plays for BSC, and he said that Fitchburg was dirty, but thats what you expect in a tough game.  But the refs were bad, at least that was his opinion. 
I am anxious to see how the game with Maine goes, I think the winner of that will still get the nod for the title game, FSC is bound to get a loss.
GO GULLS, wish there was football there when I was there.

ctforce

OK Guys!!  I've been holding out on commenting for a long time but just couldn't help getting involved

First, on the Sully topic.  I think we all know the guy does not have the right personality/coaching demenor to make FSC successful. My son visited here when he decided to transfer from 1AA an in a mater of minutes he and I came to the conclusion this guy and his assistant coach are out to lunch.  I have sympathy for those guys that were there when he came in as that is not how you want your college career to end.  But, for those guys that have joined the program since he has been there, you get what ask for!  So, basically for the last two weeks, we all agree on this guy so lets move this board on to bigger and better things.

Second, in regards to the post that you have to play better schools to get better.  As a coach I agree whole heartedly, HOWEVER, you have to have some atheletes that can compete at that level to make it worth while.  If you don't have the caliber of athletes you will not get any return out of playing better schools.  Now, if you have the talent, yes you should.  I know more of more of the NEFC schools are starting to do it as Endicaott has and  I know Fitchburg has played /scrimmaged Western Connecticut, and I'm sure there are others doing it.  My point being is that some of you say this conference sucks and will now get any better until they play outside, but you need athletes.  Besides that, I think there is a lot of good DIII football happening in the NEFC.

Third, now that I'm on atheletes, there are a lot of good ones in this conference.  How do you think Endicott got good so quick?  Along with decent coaching they had some players transfer in rather than trying to build soley from high school recruits.  Look how many transfers are on the Fitchburg team as Junior and Seniors this year and you can see why they are good.  Think back to past division and NEFC champions and look how many transfers were key in that team winning.  Maybe the league is a little diluted because of so many teams, but there a lot of good athletes in this conference playing great football.  Also, it is much easier for a non-state school to get athletes in to make their program more competitive.  It is easier for an Endicott or Curry to "find" money/grants/ whatever to bring the players into their program.  I know some state schools have some waivers to get players in, but, to my knowledge, these are very limited.  If some of you out there disagree with me on this, you need to open your eyes because it is happening all the time.  I'm not making excuses for the State schools as I think they do a darn good job within the limitations they have.

Fourth, I totally agree that offensive and defensive lineman need more credit!!!  If it wasn't for your interior D-lineman occupyiny the O-line so the linbackers can run free, they would not have the games they do.  I think the two big guys on the interior at Fitchburg do a great job of this as yardage up the middle is scarce and the middle backer has twice been defensive player of the week.  But yet, they get little credit!! I cite Fitchburg becuase what did the D-line do to that tremendous running back that BSC has???  27 carries for 82 yards if I do remember correctly.  Also, a runner will go nowhere without a good 'O' line.  How about the two backs from Fitchburg each posting up a 100 yards?  Yea, some was on there own but the O-line deserves credit.

OK, I think I'm down to the last topic.  When the heck are all you critics out there going to give Fitchburg the respect they deserve!!!!  Last year everbody said 'it was a fluke'.  Well, guess what, they stepped up on opening day and beat Curry!!.  Then they had a huge gut-check against Westfield when the 'O' could not get out of there own way, and won,  And now, they knock off the team everyone has picked as NEFC champions.  BSC didn't play anybody coming into this game and got there butts kicked.  I will give them credit that they put on a good 4th quarter surge, but Fitchburg made some mistakes on offense and got a couple of stupid penalties.  But, when they had to step up and stop them what happened??  Maybe the best lockdown corner in the NEFC intercepted the ball sealing the win.  I know the BSC lost some players during the game, but some of those players, along with others were cramping up and sucking wind already in the second quarter.  Many BSC players had their hands on their thighs sucking wind.  When your fatigued is when you are most prone to injury.  What about the two long scoring drives opening up the second half that Fitchburg put togehter to basically ice this game??  Give the entire offense the credit they deserve here!!!  I cannot deny that some of the Fitchburg players talk some trash and get some cheap penalties during they game.  I for one am not in favor of it.  However, I see it going on with other teams also, so, I don't feel one team is more or less guilty than the other.  Depending on the hype of the game, they all do it.  As an early post said, they are not completele at full strength and they are knocking off good teams.  This Fitchburg team has a good offense and a great defense that I feel will lead them to being NEFC champions!!

OK folks, if this post doesn't get you all talking nothing will.

ctforce

Hey GULLGRAD,

I know a player from Fitchburg who injuried his knee due to a BSC player trying to take his legs out while he was tackling/holding up the ball carrier.  Last I knew this was illegeal and kind of dirty.  As I said in my previous post, every team in this conference does 'dirty things' regadless of who they are.  Some are just brought to the forefront more than others based on what school it is.  Did you see this game?  The 'dirty play' of the Fitchburg or BSC players had no bearing on this game.  BSC was handed their butts and needs to acknowledge that.  I think Maine mar. will beat them and Fitchburg will have to beat maine and then Worcester at the end of the season to capture the title.  And I know they will!

D3FAN05

As someone who has watched the Endicott program develop I would disagree that the Gulls have built their program with transfers.

While their roster does feature a few transfers the foundation of their players and starters came to Endiocott as first-time-freshmen.

I think only one starter on either side of the ball is a transfer.

just an observation...

63Center

A few comments on ctforce's diatribe.

First,  not only do you need to have good athletes but they must be willing to work at being good athletes and good students.  I have seen a number of kids that quit because they either didn't want to work hard enough to be make the starting squad, or they thought they were still in high school and should have been given the starting position because they were the high school star.  There are also those that find out that you actually have to go to classes and make the grades and again aren't willing to sacrafice to do that.   Building a good program by getting good athletes requires a coach that is willing to turn down those that he feels won't fit in his program.

Secondly, I agree with D3Fan05, Endicott has very few transfers.  They built the program by recruiting platers that are willing to work at it like I said above.  They have a coach and a philosphy that requires a strong work ethic and if you don't lie it you can leave.

Third, if you were to go back to my first or second post on this site you would see that I picked Fitchburg to win the Bogan division.  So I do give them the respsct they deserve.  I think each week they are going out there and proving they are the team to beat in the NEFC.

Thanks for starting up some new commentary.

rrobb1055

Quote from: bearyear on October 04, 2005, 12:08:29 PM
crazy man if you followed the bsc vs fitchburg game you would know that early in the game bsc lost two crucial players in the first quarter. one of them being a dlinemen who had 7 solo tackles in the time he played alone. also you would have noticed that in the 4 th the bears defense shutdown the falcons offense on every occasion followed by the bears offense putting up 2 tds.after a huge int by the bears, they were only down by 7 with about 5 min to go in the game... all of a sudden the score board shuts off...what is that???? the refs did a horrible job in this game giving bsc nothing but the short end of the stick... this game should be under protest...as for trash talking...fitchburg has the least sportsmanship in the league.

Bearyear - Idiot - If you could read but I understand about the education thing..  I never said I saw the Fitchburg/BSC game.  I saw Fitchburg play Westfield and Curry.  I did talk to a friend of mine at BSC.  He wasn't making excuses.  He said that BSC wasn't not ready to play Fitchburg.  He said that they got beat up and they were tired.  He also said that there was some flaky things happened during the game.  But that is part of the game.  If your good you overcome them and move on.  I did hear that BSC had a couple of opportunities but couldn't do anything because all of a sudden the defense was all over them.  He also told me he didn't like the way BSC was blocking below the waist. (illegally) but that's part of the game too.  I thought that the 2 games I saw Fitchburg play that they were a class act.  They showed up to do business and go home.  I also know that their booster club throws a BIG tailgate after the game for the players even at away games.  How many of your parents actually stick around to see you get on the bus to go home??? I guess that you need to take a reading class and get some class.