FB: Commonwealth Coast Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 04:57:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jonny Utah

Quote from: FBFanatic on July 24, 2006, 09:17:10 PM
Oh and i almost forgot to hit on the idiotic statement made by InTheMix....
Why wasn't Nichols College's defense good if Meuse was such a great player? You can't be good on either side of the ball if you only have one "good" player. Any women or child could tell you that. That just goes to show your lack of knowledge about the game.

I bet you if you put Edgerrin James on Nichols they would win more than half their games, maybe all of them so......what your saying isnt completly true.  Billerica kids are tough though.  That kid from Billerica goin to BC is a stud.

InTheMix

My lack of knowledge??? I played football for 12 years including 4 in the NEFC.  2 years playing against Meuse and having my blocking assignment be to take him out of the play.  And you can say what you want about that.  To tell me that I have no idea what I am talking is not saying much for you. My comment about Nichols defense not being good was because you were making Meuse out to be some sort of a NEFC football god.  The truth is, Meuse is a decent player.  He was on a bad team, which made him look even better.  He did make a lot of tackles in the games I played against him, however, like I said, he wasn't even close to many plays and got credit for the tackle.  To me, that isn't deserving of any recognition.  You talk about looking up stats....the stat to look at is the stat that in last years NEFC match up between Endicott and Nichols Meuse was given credit for almost double the amount of offensive plays that Endicott ran....interesting. Say what you want, Meuse can prove me wrong and I wish him the best of luck.  That's what i have to say.

Curry's LB is very good. He flies to the ball and has great anticipation.  The only thing is that the NEFC isn't a powerhouse conference and that will be holding back any players from getting recognition they deserve.

Pat Coleman

Quote from: FBFanatic on July 24, 2006, 09:08:26 PM
I've put two kids through the NEFC and continually check up on players/standings in the league. When i came across this post about Muese not being a player I had no other option but to laugh. For someone to say Muese is not a star in this league is just crazy. Yes Nichols is not what is was in the past, but that does not mean this kids not a great player.

I appreciate that you want to support the person who uses the same computer that you do, but to pretend to be an impartial observer is a little bit of a stretch, isn't it?

Whether you are the kid himself or his parent/brother/etc., that isn't acceptable. And you know I know what I'm talking about. I can see the e-mail addresses used to register.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Jonny Utah

Quote from: InTheMix on July 24, 2006, 10:15:53 PM
My lack of knowledge??? I played football for 12 years including 4 in the NEFC.  2 years playing against Meuse and having my blocking assignment be to take him out of the play.  And you can say what you want about that.  To tell me that I have no idea what I am talking is not saying much for you. My comment about Nichols defense not being good was because you were making Meuse out to be some sort of a NEFC football god.  The truth is, Meuse is a decent player.  He was on a bad team, which made him look even better.  He did make a lot of tackles in the games I played against him, however, like I said, he wasn't even close to many plays and got credit for the tackle.  To me, that isn't deserving of any recognition.  You talk about looking up stats....the stat to look at is the stat that in last years NEFC match up between Endicott and Nichols Meuse was given credit for almost double the amount of offensive plays that Endicott ran....interesting. Say what you want, Meuse can prove me wrong and I wish him the best of luck.  That's what i have to say.

Curry's LB is very good. He flies to the ball and has great anticipation.  The only thing is that the NEFC isn't a powerhouse conference and that will be holding back any players from getting recognition they deserve.

Endicott ran 81 plays and Meuse had 30 total tackles (UA/A).  Thats from the Endicott scorebook anyway......

lewdogg11

This Meuse kid better get used to all this attention.  I heard there were 13 NFL scouts watching him and taking notes on his bathroom etiquette and techniques. 

I kind of feel bad for the guy.  Let him play the season out.  God forbid he didn't make the pre-season All-American team.  It's the NEFC!  D3's equivalent of the Cape Ann League.  If he wanted all the accolades, he would have gone to a real school.  Let him be an All-Conference NEFC guy and call it a day. 

Jonny Utah

I remember playing Billerica in the pop warner playoffs back in 1987.  Some RB named Mastrianni or something ran for probably 10 touchdowns and 1000 yards against us and then 'We are the Champions' came over the loudspeaker after the game was over.  I swear to this day Billerica Pop Warner cheated with the weights and ages.

FootballFriend2all

First off I'd like to just make one comment about the Bryan Meuse saga.  If anyone, who had a brain and open mind, was at the Endicott-Nichols Game on that fine October day you would have seen Bryan make all of his 30 tackles.....Most assisted by he still had about 14 I believe unassisted.  If you dont have special needs I think you will be able to see that.  But in any case, yes he did benefit from having a miserable offense, but that does not make him not a great player.  He single handedly kept nichols in that game as it was as game until the 4th quater as the gulls scored late to blow it open (29-0 w for endicott).....for someone to sit here and tell us how inflated statistics benefit for players on a bad team, that day he did it in a game that his team was in it.  Im not coming down too hard on that endicott player who had a terrible time misjudging reality, because they are a HELL  of a team who are coached by a great coach and are going places, but the fact that it was a direct shot at one of the best overall player (Punts, Kickoffs, top 3 linebacker in the league) is just silly....

I think the league is going to be fun to watch this year.....good luck to all

lewdogg11

Quote from: Jonny Utah on July 24, 2006, 10:46:36 PM
I remember playing Billerica in the pop warner playoffs back in 1987.  Some RB named Mastrianni or something ran for probably 10 touchdowns and 1000 yards against us and then 'We are the Champions' came over the loudspeaker after the game was over.  I swear to this day Billerica Pop Warner cheated with the weights and ages.

Mike Mastrullo.  He was probably the most incredible High School athlete I ever saw.  He ended up getting drafted and playing baseball.

Jonny Utah

Quote from: lewdogg11 on July 24, 2006, 10:58:23 PM
Quote from: Jonny Utah on July 24, 2006, 10:46:36 PM

Mike Mastrullo.  He was probably the most incredible High School athlete I ever saw.  He ended up getting drafted and playing baseball.

Really? Did he play football in college?  Ill always remember that day and hearing his name over and over on the loudspeaker.

lewdogg11

I got this off the Billerica High Hall of Fame induction...

Mike Mastrullo's accomplishments on the football field, baseball diamond and basketball court have made him one of the most talked about athletes in BMHS history. Mike earned a Master of Sport Award by being a four-year varsity starter in baseball and football and a year of varsity basketball. Overall his impact on the MVC was shown by his 3 time Football Globe All-Scholastic Awards in three different positions, 2 time Baseball Globe All- Scholastic Awards, 2 time Lowell Sun Player of the Year in baseball and football, and 3 time MVC All Star and All Conference Player in baseball and football. In each of the sports his impact is still remembered by BMHS coaches and supporters.

In Mike's sophomore year he started on Coach McDermott's 1992 MVC basketball championship team and set a school record for Coach Flynn's football team by making two 98-yard touchdowns receptions. Mike continued to dazzle opponents over the nexttwo football seasons by quarterbacking Billerica to a 1993 10-win season and the first Billerica Super Bowl victory. In his senior season, Captain Mastullo led BMHS football to a state title with a 27-7 victory over Woburn. In the game Mike ran for a touchdown, passed for two others and made a key interception. The standout season got Mike national recognition as he was chosen the Gatorade New England Player of the Year, sharing the limelight with another quarterback from Washington, Drew Bledsoe. USA Today also chose him the 1993 Massachusetts Player of the Year.

Coach Sidorovich was happy to have Mike's talent on the baseball field as he excelled in multiple positions. Baseball would eventually be the path Mike chose as he passed on a Division I football scholarship to sign with the Cleveland Indians. He played single A ball until an injury ended his career and sent him Boston College where he graduated with a double major in history and education. When the "94" Mike looks back he can be proud of all he did for BMHS athletics. He attributes his success to his father Jim's encouragement and his mother Linda's support. Mike is currently teaching history at Tyngsboro High School and coaching football at Burlington High School. He and his wife Jen, also a former BMHS athlete, live in Tyngsboro and are expecting their first child in a few months

Jonny Utah

wow, Im just putting the two together now.  I vaugely remember hearing about him now in the football- all scholastics.  Im tryin to remember who won the superbowls those years.  I remember Wellesley won the d2 in 1992.  The MVC might have been d1 still before the switch later on.

FootballFriend2all

Just a quick stat update, sorry im a bit slow myself on this stuff, 2 games against endicott Bryan Meuse 44 total tackles against endicott so please lets take the focus off of you having to "shut him down".......BUT 2 W's for endicott, nevertheless, bryan meuse looking pretty dominating

stay strong everyone!

lewdogg11

You beat me to it.  

I remember being at the 1994 Superbowl, New Bedford vs. Peabody played at BU.  Probably the best HS game I ever saw.  Peabody had Steve Lomasney at QB, he later caught for the PawSox.  We played New Bedford that year and they were ridiculous.  Jo-Jo Goodine was their tailback and Rudy Bulgar was their QB.  They were the sickest HS team probably still to this day that I've ever seen.  We played at New Bedford and almost beat them that year, and if we did, we may not have gotten out alive.  It was the scariest place i've ever played, and at the time...I played in Lawrence.  So that's saying something.  The place had like 10K people there for our game, and it felt as if at anytime a riot could break out.  Absolutely nuts.  Never saw a crowd like that in college.

Jonny Utah

Yea maybe it was because we were kids but MA football seemed more bigtime back then.  I was at the 1989 d1 superbowl between Walpole and Brockton.  I think Brockton hadnt lost in like 3-4 seasons at that point when they were ranked real high in the USA today national poll (maybe even #1 or #2 in the country).  That game was played at Foxboro (Sullivan) Stadium and I swear to this day the stadium was almost filled on both sides.  What a friggin game.  Really inspired me to want to work hard to play football.

I remember my high school played Brockton that year and was down like 28-0 at the end of the first quarter.  Brockton had both campbell bros (BC rbs), Rudy Harris (Auburn RB and later Tampa Bucs) Anthony Lewis (UMiami DL) , one of the Marciano bros (BC starting SS), Bob Zurinskis (Umaine FS).  Best team I ever saw.  Then Walpole, also with a bunch of studs (QB, Manning dont remember where he went,) Cox (BYU and Arizona Cardnials OL),

Walpole was about half the size (literally) and ended up beating Brockton 6-2.  I remember Walpole's RB was some little guy that carried Lewis for about 10 yards one run.  Awsome game.