FB: Commonwealth Coast Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 04:57:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

D3 Fan

RockRB11, I agree that many of the better recruits are drawn to those schools with the history and tradition.  That's part of the problem for the NEFC schools but that is also the recruiting game.  Nefan is right on the mark and John Utah I can't agree more. That, right there is why the NEFC as a league struggles on the national level.

Jonny Utah

What could be done at many NEFC schools is what Springfield does.  SC has 3 full time coaches and probably 6-10 graduate assistants.  These 6-10 assistants work their asses off because their school is getting paid for and its basically a full time job.  In return, those assistants get 2 years of coaching experience at a good d3 program, and a  masters degree in good fields from a good college.  The players at Springfield now get 9-15 coaches that care about the team and sport. 

NEFC teams (ma state schools anyway) should do the same.  Search out and hire 1-3 full time coaches that can teach at those schools as well (most have decent education programs).  Then get a couple grad assistants to do the rest of the needed work.  The only problem is that some of those schools still dont have graduate programs, but I think it could work if the salaries were bumped up a bit.

fan of d3

I believe SC has close to 15 GA's this year.

ctgridironmom

Nice to see a little bit of respect for Curry from "Around the Nation":

"In a bracket where the top six are pretty even, No. 7 seed Curry is overlooked. We hardly ever mention the Colonels, who just keep winning (40-5 since 2003). They were competitive against Delaware Valley in last year's playoffs, leading 14-7 midway through the third quarter of a 37-22 loss. I'm not sure Springfield is ripe for upset, but Curry can play defense. It's certainly possible that a disciplined, sure-tackling group can slow down an option attack."

RockRB11

Anyone know where Nelson went after he left Curry?

sickofBS

I think Nellie is a sales rep for a computer company out of Rhode island.

63Center

I agree it is nice to see Curry as the NEFC representative in the NCAA get some positive press, but that won't win the game for them.  SC 35 Curry 28.

D3 Fan

OK, I wasn't even close.   Maybe next year for the NEFC!!!!

RockRB11

As expected, Chris Sharpe put on a clinic...that kid has some moves for a small qb. I thought Curry would be able to put up more points.  They hung in tight in the first quarter forcing SC to punt, but it was downhill from there as CC was forced to the passing game... interception after interception. Congrats to both teams, and good luck to SC next week against sjfc.

lighter

Quote from: admin on August 16, 2005, 04:57:52 AM
This is the new home of NEFC discussion. Welcome aboard, everyone.

lighter

Ouetion. Being from the Mid-West I was wondering how The Coast Guard Academy can be part of D-3 since they give 4 year scholarships (although I realize they are for all students) still you can recruit players you want and they fall under the full scholarship program. It seems to be a great advantage that other schools don't have. Just curious.

'gro

since you have to serve 4 years after graduation that might get around calling it a scholarship. The other service academies do the same thing, but given the overall size of CGA (and the physical requirements of CGA cadets) maybe they choose to be in D3.  Just speculating here.

lighter

But the other academies are D-1AA or D-1A which allow scholarships

Pat Coleman

Quote from: lighter on November 20, 2006, 03:04:15 PM
Ouetion. Being from the Mid-West I was wondering how The Coast Guard Academy can be part of D-3 since they give 4 year scholarships (although I realize they are for all students) still you can recruit players you want and they fall under the full scholarship program. It seems to be a great advantage that other schools don't have. Just curious.

You didn't like the e-mail response I sent?

The basic tenet of Division III philosophy is that a school may not provide any benefit to a student-athlete that it does not provide to the student body as a whole.

The U.S. Coast Guard Academy provides the same scholarship benefit to the student body as a whole. Student-athletes are not treated any differently based on their athletic ability, therefore it is well within the Division III rules.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.