Barclays Premier League Pick Em

Started by lastguyoffthebench, January 09, 2015, 02:50:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jknezek

Quote from: Mr.Right on June 14, 2016, 02:03:42 PM
Yes I may have been a bit harsh so I will compromise and say they were a B+ side. I rate Bobby Wood higher than Brazil's 2 strikers Hulk and Gabrielle. Douglas Costa  would have been a huge help but for me Silva is getting up there in age and Oscar while very talented has the innate ability to completely disappear from games.I have never rated David Luiz as he slows them down IMO.Also, btw your "A" team fell completely FLAT in 2014 and were a massive disappointment but we can agree to disagree.

We don't have to disagree. The "A" team was disappointing in a WC hosted in Brazil while only reaching the semis. I think the manner of loss, a pathetic capitulation during a blowout, was worse than actually losing to the eventual champions at that stage, but there is no doubt the "A" team was not what Brazil used to bring in terms of dominance. I think that kind of underlines my original point. No one can bring less than their best team to a first tier tournament these days and expect results. Not even the traditional powerhouses.

jknezek

You get your wish. Dunga was fired today. Not surprised. Can't go out in the group stage if you are Brazil.

lastguyoffthebench

Is it me or should Lallana be dropped to the midfield in the 4-3-3 and start over Rooney.    Then have Sterling Kane Vardy up top?

lastguyoffthebench

USMNT likely to come out with a 4-4-2, absorb some pressure and pick spots going forward.   Looking at how much they've travelled the last few weeks, opponents played, and projected XIs... I give the edge to Ecuador to advance.   Up and down game with flow possibly disrupted by tactical fouls...   

2-1 Ecuador in extra time...

jknezek

Quote from: lastguyoffthebench on June 16, 2016, 03:26:47 PM

USMNT likely to come out with a 4-4-2, absorb some pressure and pick spots going forward.   Looking at how much they've travelled the last few weeks, opponents played, and projected XIs... I give the edge to Ecuador to advance.   Up and down game with flow possibly disrupted by tactical fouls...   

2-1 Ecuador in extra time...

There is no extra time in Copa America games. Goes straight to penalties. I think a pro-U.S. crowd in Seattle gives the U.S. the edge. 2-1 U.S.

Mr.Right

Ecuador is the better side and will win this game. In fact I am rooting for Ecuador to win this game so we can clean house and fire Sunil Gulati and Klinnsmann.

jknezek

Quote from: Mr.Right on June 16, 2016, 08:28:02 PM
Ecuador is the better side and will win this game. In fact I am rooting for Ecuador to win this game so we can clean house and fire Sunil Gulati and Klinnsmann.

JK is going to Russia as long as we qualify. Big win for the US but selection dilemmas abound. We don't have a replacement for Wood other than moving Zardes up. That requires replacing both wings. Zusi is obvious for one. But do you push F Johnson or Yedlin up on the other side? Besler did well tonight so I guess you can rely on him again. Mighty thin though now.

jknezek

Thoughts on last night. The first half was excellent. Then the wear started to show. Brooks was dominant again, especially in the first half and the last 5 minutes of the game. He wasn't quite as strong in the middle of the second half and I think it had to be fatigue. That Paraguay game took a lot out of the guys. Kudos to Guzan. Another solid effort with one spectacular and necessary save. Not much he could do about the goal. Good decision making on when to come off his line all night on crosses.

I didn't see Besler coming in that role but he was serviceable. Ecuador had more speed on the flanks than even Argentina is likely to possess, though not the same skill front to back. Lot to be proud of for Besler playing an unfamiliar role. F Johnson did well also. They keyed on that side for a long time and he held his own considering Zardes did a lot of defensive hustle but he's not a great defender. FJ also got forward a bit in the first half. So he wasn't quite as anonymous as he was against Paraguay. It wasn't Cameron's best night. A couple flubbed clearances including one that should have cost us badly. He seemed a little slow as well, so I'm thinking fatigue as the night wore on.

Bradley was very, very good. He didn't get a lot of publicity but he snuffed out the center of the field from the box to the mid line. Granted Ecuador's strength was down the wings, but Bradley made sure that they had no shot coming up the gut. He connected well front to back, though I still think he takes the safe ball square or back too often. Didn't contribute much on offense in the first half but also didn't seem to tire the way the rest of the team did in the second.

Zardes still has no touch, but again he got what he needed done and he ran all night. I expect to see him start up top for Wood. We don't have another choice except Wondo and I just don't see JK going that route. Maybe Zardes will be more settled higher up the field, though we might miss his speed and hustle deeper back. Bedoya hustled all night but he wore out. JK is on the hook for his card and the foul that created the goal because Bedoya should have been pulled 10 minutes sooner. JK is rigid about subs. 70th minute, 80th minute, 88th plus minute. That wasn't good enough last night as Bedoya needed to come out in the late 60s. Ecuador still might have scored, they had plenty of chances, but they wouldn't have gotten the one they got.

Jones is a hot head. It's the chance you take with him. And it hurt. Instead of coasting to a win up a man, he was just stupid enough to fall on the wrong side of a "point of emphasis" for the tournament. Exactly the wrong thing to do at the wrong time, especially for a veteran. Losing his work rate is going to hurt. Especially against a team like Argentina. We don't have a good replacement though I suspect Beckerman will get the nod. That makes us slower and less likely to get up field, or it means Bradley has to be more advanced where he never seems to shine.

Wood has been incredible. He's not getting goals, but he is the force that is causing defenses to fear our ability to score. He has kept Paraguay and Ecuador honest and prevented them from bombing forward. The card wasn't the worst one for the U.S. on the night, but it hurts. I also think it was a little chintzy from the ref but he was trying to regain control after the double ejection fiasco. Players have to know the next moderate tackle is going to be punished, and Wood was the unfortunate one to do it. I think Zardes can do 85-90% of his role up front, but I wish Wood was eligible.

Dempsey -- fantastic again. Creative force, goal scorer, worked for the assist. Tracked back when needed but got forward. This might be the best tournament for an American attacker that I can remember.

Happy to have a few extra days rest. These guys are going to need it. It's going to be another long flight, but the crowd in Seattle was worth the distance. In NJ I'm not sure that game goes the U.S. way. I feel like the crowd kept the team on its feet when we were being shelled at the end.

lastguyoffthebench

Likely to see...

Dempsey Zardes

Bedoya Bradley Beckerman Zusi

Johnson Brooks Cameron Yedlin

vs Argentina I'd go:

Dempsey

Bedoya  Bradley Beckerman Zardes

Johnson Besler Brooks Cameron Yedlin

Mid-Atlantic Fan

Quote from: jknezek on June 16, 2016, 11:48:43 PM
Quote from: Mr.Right on June 16, 2016, 08:28:02 PM

JK is going to Russia as long as we qualify. Big win for the US but selection dilemmas abound. We don't have a replacement for Wood other than moving Zardes up. That requires replacing both wings. Zusi is obvious for one. But do you push F Johnson or Yedlin up on the other side? Besler did well tonight so I guess you can rely on him again. Mighty thin though now.

Yedlin Cameron Brooks Johnson back line will stay the same. Won't want to mess up the chemistry they have gained throughout this tournament.

Midfield is where is gets tricky. I think you will see Beckerman come in and hold which bumps Bradley up and has Nagbe alongside him. Then for the outside guys you will see Zardes and Zusi then Dempsey up top.

Losing Wood, Bedoya, and Jones will definitely hurt but bright side is the line up will have fresh legs which will be needed vs Argentina assuming they clean house with Venezuela.

There are numerous options available for line-ups but the above is what I believe you will most likely see. Wood played well last night and losing him with Dempsey underneath is a bummer because it worked last night.

Guzan
Yedlin Cameron Brooks Johnson
            Beckerman
                         Bradley
Zusi          Nagbe          Zardes
                 Dempsey

The shape I believe we will most likely see starting out. Still the 4-3-3 they play but a tad more defensive with Beckerman in and the fact that they are facing Argentina.

VERY thin on depth now with all the suspensions....Pulisic will certainly come in off the bench then the last 2 pick your poison...Wondoloski up top and the third depends how the game goes with cards/injuries/scoreline but you're left with Birnbaum,Kitchen, Besler, Orozco, and Chandler. Yikes.

Mid-Atlantic Fan

Quote from: lastguyoffthebench on June 17, 2016, 09:51:40 AM
Likely to see...

Dempsey Zardes

vs Argentina I'd go:

Dempsey

Bedoya is suspended

Mid-Atlantic Fan

Quote from: jknezek on June 17, 2016, 09:49:46 AM
Thoughts on last night. The first half was excellent. Then the wear started to show. Brooks was dominant again, especially in the first half and the last 5 minutes of the game. He wasn't quite as strong in the middle of the second half and I think it had to be fatigue. That Paraguay game took a lot out of the guys. Kudos to Guzan. Another solid effort with one spectacular and necessary save. Not much he could do about the goal. Good decision making on when to come off his line all night on crosses.

I didn't see Besler coming in that role but he was serviceable. Ecuador had more speed on the flanks than even Argentina is likely to possess, though not the same skill front to back. Lot to be proud of for Besler playing an unfamiliar role. F Johnson did well also. They keyed on that side for a long time and he held his own considering Zardes did a lot of defensive hustle but he's not a great defender. FJ also got forward a bit in the first half. So he wasn't quite as anonymous as he was against Paraguay. It wasn't Cameron's best night. A couple flubbed clearances including one that should have cost us badly. He seemed a little slow as well, so I'm thinking fatigue as the night wore on.

Bradley was very, very good. He didn't get a lot of publicity but he snuffed out the center of the field from the box to the mid line. Granted Ecuador's strength was down the wings, but Bradley made sure that they had no shot coming up the gut. He connected well front to back, though I still think he takes the safe ball square or back too often. Didn't contribute much on offense in the first half but also didn't seem to tire the way the rest of the team did in the second.

Zardes still has no touch, but again he got what he needed done and he ran all night. I expect to see him start up top for Wood. We don't have another choice except Wondo and I just don't see JK going that route. Maybe Zardes will be more settled higher up the field, though we might miss his speed and hustle deeper back. Bedoya hustled all night but he wore out. JK is on the hook for his card and the foul that created the goal because Bedoya should have been pulled 10 minutes sooner. JK is rigid about subs. 70th minute, 80th minute, 88th plus minute. That wasn't good enough last night as Bedoya needed to come out in the late 60s. Ecuador still might have scored, they had plenty of chances, but they wouldn't have gotten the one they got.

Jones is a hot head. It's the chance you take with him. And it hurt. Instead of coasting to a win up a man, he was just stupid enough to fall on the wrong side of a "point of emphasis" for the tournament. Exactly the wrong thing to do at the wrong time, especially for a veteran. Losing his work rate is going to hurt. Especially against a team like Argentina. We don't have a good replacement though I suspect Beckerman will get the nod. That makes us slower and less likely to get up field, or it means Bradley has to be more advanced where he never seems to shine.

Wood has been incredible. He's not getting goals, but he is the force that is causing defenses to fear our ability to score. He has kept Paraguay and Ecuador honest and prevented them from bombing forward. The card wasn't the worst one for the U.S. on the night, but it hurts. I also think it was a little chintzy from the ref but he was trying to regain control after the double ejection fiasco. Players have to know the next moderate tackle is going to be punished, and Wood was the unfortunate one to do it. I think Zardes can do 85-90% of his role up front, but I wish Wood was eligible.

Dempsey -- fantastic again. Creative force, goal scorer, worked for the assist. Tracked back when needed but got forward. This might be the best tournament for an American attacker that I can remember.

Happy to have a few extra days rest. These guys are going to need it. It's going to be another long flight, but the crowd in Seattle was worth the distance. In NJ I'm not sure that game goes the U.S. way. I feel like the crowd kept the team on its feet when we were being shelled at the end.

Thought they were playing in Houston then NJ for finals?

jknezek

Quote from: lastguyoffthebench on June 17, 2016, 09:51:40 AM
Likely to see...

Dempsey Zardes

vs Argentina I'd go:

Dempsey

Bedoya has two yellows. He's out.  I think we're likely to see this:

Zardes
                       Dempsey
F Johnson  Bradley      Zusi
                     Beckerman
Besler Brooks Cameron  Yedlin 

Though I hate breaking up the back line again, F Johnson can help Besler. Zusi is a stabilizer for Yedlin. I hate pushing Bradley up but Beckerman can't play that role. He's a destroyer and even less of a creator than Bradley and he's just too slow. I don't see Nagbe playing in front of Bradley against Argentina. Maybe if it's Venezuela. But the Besler decision surprised me, so I guess I wouldn't be too surprised if F Johnson stayed across the back line and JK went with a surprise on the left side of midfield. I don't think he trusts Nagbe to play enough defense though, especially missing Jones.

jknezek

Quote from: Mid-Atlantic Fan on June 17, 2016, 10:00:15 AM
Thought they were playing in Houston then NJ for finals?

They are. I was referring to finishing 1st or 2nd in the group. We finished 1st so we flew all the way to Seattle but got the great crowd. Finishing 2nd would have been a short drive to NJ, but a much more mixed crowd. I wasn't a fan of the travel to Seattle, but that crowd was incredible and I think important. We aren't going to have favorable crowds in Houston or NJ if we make it. Or in AZ if we end up in the 3rd place game....

lastguyoffthebench

Give Pulisic a shot in this one rather than Nagbi...