2015 West Regional - Tyler, TX

Started by Westside, April 24, 2015, 10:52:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Westside

I will be updating this as we go along. Best of luck, everyone.

Venue:
Irwin Field. Tyler, Texas.

Regional Website:
http://uttylerpatriots.com/ncaabsb/

Teams:
1. Texas-Tyler (34-10)
2. Linfield (30-13)
3. Millsaps (28-12)
4. Whitworth (28-13)
5. Trinity (TX) (33-12)
6. La Verne (24-18)

Team Stats:
Whitworth: .305 Batting Average, 4.02 ERA, .969 Fielding %
Trinity (TX): .324 Batting Average, 2.95 ERA, .963 Fielding %
La Verne: .291 Batting Average, 4.55 ERA, .969 Fielding %
Texas-Tyler: .298 Batting Average, 3.27 ERA, .970 Fielding %
Millsaps: .324 Batting Average, 3.73 ERA, .954 Fielding %
Linfield: .286 Batting Average, 2.93 ERA, .972 Fielding %

Round One:

#1 Texas-Tyler vs. #6 La Verne
La Verne wins 2-0.

#2 Linfield vs. #5 Trinity (TX)
Trinity wins 5-1.

#3 Millsaps vs. #4 Whitworth
Millsaps wins 7-6.

Round Two:

#1 Texas-Tyler vs. #2 Linfield
Linfield wins 9-6.

#6 La Verne vs. #4 Whitworth
La Verne wins 10-3.

#5 Trinity (TX) vs. #3 Millsaps
Trinity wins 5-3.

Round Three:

#6 La Verne vs. #5 Trinity (TX)
Trinity wins 7-4.

#2 Linfield vs. #3 Millsaps
Linfield wins 6-2.

Round Four:

#2 Linfield vs. #6 La Verne
Linfield wins 7-0.

#2 Linfield vs. #5 Trinity (TX)

NWC Baseball

Westside

The first West Regional team is set. The Whitworth Pirates knocked off PLU to win the NWC Tournament. Whitworth made it look easy as they defeated Linfield in their first game, and then beat PLU twice in a row. Somewhat surprisingly, it was the Pirate's pitching that carried them to the championship.

This is a cool story for the Whitworth seniors. They made it to the CWS as freshman, and now they have a chance in their final year. I am really excited to see Scheibe pitch on the national stage again. He was special on their run to the World Series a few years back, and he has been nothing short of dominant this year. In terms of pure pitching "stuff", he has the best in the NWC, hands down. There is a reason he leads the country in strikeouts (100 in 75.2 innings). When he is on, like he was against Linfield, Whitworth can beat anyone in the country.
NWC Baseball

Westside

It looks like the Trinity Tigers are the second team to secure a spot in the West Regional. They join Whitworth as #3 seeds to win their conference tournament. The Tigers battled back from the loser's bracket to defeat Centenary in back-to-back games and secure their bid. Trinity was just 14-10 away from home this season, but they got hot at the right time on their way to the title. While they are down a bit from previous teams, Trinity is as dangerous as ever. And they present a formidable team that has a chance to win the wide open West.
NWC Baseball

Westside

The La Verne Leopards are team number three to make it in. They are the first true wildcard team as they enter with an average 24-18 record. The Leopards squeaked into the SCIAC tournament as a #4 seed after going 18-10 during their league schedule. Clearly, it is best to be an underdog in the West Region, as they are the third low-seeded team to win their conference tournament. They are riding a hot hand as they took down the favorite, Cal Lutheran, to advance to the West Region.
NWC Baseball

108 Stitches

Does the fact that Tyler has a real grass field have any impact on the teams? Weather?

I have enjoyed the past tournaments in McMinnville, but am thrilled not having to go back there.

Westside

Quote from: 108 Stitches on May 05, 2015, 10:45:10 PM
Does the fact that Tyler has a real grass field have any impact on the teams? Weather?

I don't think it has that much impact on La Verne. Most of the SCIAC is grass (maybe all of it?), and they already get the hot weather as well.

Same goes for Trinity and the ASC schools.

I think the biggest impact will come from whichever NWC school(s) make it in. As far as I know, there are three turf fields in the NWC... Whitworth, PLU, and Linfield. So all three of these potential regional teams would go from playing on turf to dirt (unless they practice on a different field to prepare). It isn't a huge difference, but these three teams had the top fielding % in the NWC. So it could be noticeable.

The weather, meanwhile, should have a positive impact for NWC schools. I know, as a former pitcher, they are going to be a lot more excited to pitch in mid 80's weather as opposed to the 50 degree days they are accustomed to. Again, it isn't much, but it could be the difference between Whitworth's Scheibe being 92 instead of 89 (random example).

And who knows about any potential non-West region schools that they could fly in.
NWC Baseball

108 Stitches

Who knows what will happen with bids but I am pretty sure that PLU and either Concordia or UTT will get a bid depending on who wins the ASC. That should fill out the West with West teams, which will be a welcomed change. That assumes CTX and UTT get to the championship game, which, while likely, is not a foregone conclusion. Regional rankings will be out later today so we will see.

I just checked the long range forecasts and they show some rain, it will be ironic to have rain be an issue after complaining about the potential for it for two years at McMinnville and having beautiful weather there.

Ron Boerger

Isn't CTX's field turf?

Still shouldn't have a big impact, since they're used to playing most of their road games on grass.

tigerfan_2001

Quote from: Ron Boerger on May 07, 2015, 01:21:49 PM
Isn't CTX's field turf?

Still shouldn't have a big impact, since they're used to playing most of their road games on grass.
because of weather, they have only played 12 games away from their field this year.

108 Stitches

It will be really interesting to see what happens on Monday. With the regional rankings and recent records I am pretty sure that PLU will be in and Linfield will not based on their last 7 games. If CTX and UTT go to the championship game then I imagine both of them will be in, particularly if CTX wins it. I am sure Linfield and CLU are rooting for an early exit by CTX!!!  However there is a bunch of baseball to be played in TX this week. Let the gnashing of teeth begin. 

1   Pacific Lutheran   27-10-0 ( 0.730)   30-12-0 ( 0.714)
2   Texas-Tyler   29-9-0 ( 0.763)   30-10-0 ( 0.750)
3   Linfield   28-12-0 ( 0.700)   30-13-0 ( 0.698)
4   Cal Lutheran   32-12-0 ( 0.727)   32-12-0 ( 0.727)
5   Concordia (TX)   29-10-0 ( 0.744)   29-10-0 ( 0.744)
6   Whitworth   27-12-0 ( 0.692)   28-13-0 ( 0.683)

SoCalSoxFan

Quote from: 108 Stitches on May 07, 2015, 08:06:13 PM
It will be really interesting to see what happens on Monday. With the regional rankings and recent records I am pretty sure that PLU will be in and Linfield will not based on their last 7 games. If CTX and UTT go to the championship game then I imagine both of them will be in, particularly if CTX wins it. I am sure Linfield and CLU are rooting for an early exit by CTX!!!  However there is a bunch of baseball to be played in TX this week. Let the gnashing of teeth begin. 

1   Pacific Lutheran   27-10-0 ( 0.730)   30-12-0 ( 0.714)
2   Texas-Tyler   29-9-0 ( 0.763)   30-10-0 ( 0.750)
3   Linfield   28-12-0 ( 0.700)   30-13-0 ( 0.698)
4   Cal Lutheran   32-12-0 ( 0.727)   32-12-0 ( 0.727)
5   Concordia (TX)   29-10-0 ( 0.744)   29-10-0 ( 0.744)
6   Whitworth   27-12-0 ( 0.692)   28-13-0 ( 0.683)

Very interesting the CTX dropped to 5 this week.  They went 2-1 with loss to MHB.  Linfield went 2-1, losing to PLU in 10 innings.  CLU 3-2 losing in SCIAC final to LV 2x. 

Jack Parkman

I was thinking about this and really have no idea if it would even be considered due to the West being so small (in numbers) but would the NCAA make it an 8-team regional?  Last year there were 5 flights, all to the West.  If there was an 8-team West Regional there would also be 5 flights.  Just a though?

SoCalSoxFan

Quote from: Jack Parkman on May 08, 2015, 10:33:19 AM
I was thinking about this and really have no idea if it would even be considered due to the West being so small (in numbers) but would the NCAA make it an 8-team regional?  Last year there were 5 flights, all to the West.  If there was an 8-team West Regional there would also be 5 flights.  Just a though?

Very interesting thought.  As a CLU aficionado, I like the idea.

BigPoppa

Even if they awarded the West an 8-team regional, it would not have any effect on who was chosen. The Pool B/C bids are awarded nationally, not regionally. So a larger west regional does not mean more west teams invited. You still need to be one of the top 14 teams on the table in the eyes of the committee when selections are awarded.

Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

108 Stitches

+1 you are correct BP, we keep thrashing about talking only about West teams, but there are a number of teams, Birmingham Southern for example, that are ranked higher.

We will know a lot more about the make up in the West in about 3 hours after the CTX and UTT game.

Late add: I just flipped over the the prior game is still going due to rain delays, so not sure when the game will start.